Holding A Garage Sale For Old Clothes

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Alexandoy • Aug 27, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So many years ago, we had a garage sale to dispose of old things particularly clothes that we don't wear anymore. We were surprised that neighbors were grabbing the clothes such that after an hour, there was no more clothing item in the rack. Now that our closets and dressers are overflowing with old clothes, I am thinking of holding another garage sale. By the way, our old clothes are of good quality and branded too that's why the buyers are eager to get hold of them. And it's cheap, of course. But for us, the extra money is not much and our main objective is to have space in our closets.

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    For us it may not work out. As we don't have garage sales type of the system in town. But we are going on with the flea market. Here during the festival and carnival season, I am going to hold the sales. I think in such places you can use for the selling the old clothing. So that's here something worth checking out for us if we can setup the shop or booth in flea market.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Growing up, my mom had a garage sale every year to get rid of things around the house that we didn't want or didn't use anymore. We always went through our closets to get out clothes that didn't fit anymore and our toys that we didn't play with. We would make a good amount and clear out the house so it was a good thing. I have tried having a garage sale but anymore it seems people just want everything for free. I had low prices marked on them but they always wanted more money off of them. I usually gave in because I want the stuff gone but you can't even go to a thrift store and get it as cheap as I was selling it.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    In the UK we don't have garage sales. I suppose the nearest we have to these is a car boot sale where we fill our car with stuff we want to sell and take it to a specific venue where there will be other people doing the same. I've never sold anything at one of these but I have bought plenty of good second hand stuff there. I once got a child's bike for a ridiculously low price. I was so pleased with it as it would have cost a fortune new.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Garage sales are great and ironically, they might even be more marketable than eBay or Amazon. I mean, if you have a lot of friends and neighbors, then you already have a huge marketing advantage. Anyway, another thing you could try, assuming you had tons of stuff, is to make a consignment shop in your town.

6. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of our neighbors do this type of selling and are actually selling a lot. As for me, I do like donating old clothes rather than selling them. It's not that I do not like a few bucks but I always see lots of kids in the streets who needs clothes and can't afford to buy them. Or I can give them away to my nephews and nieces instead of selling them.

7. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought to organize such an activity, I always donate the clothes that we do not wear them anymore. If I am thinking better, this is a good way of gaining a few bucks and socialize more with my new neighbors.
    Thanks, Alexandoy, this is a wonderful idea, I hope my wife will agree to create this kind of sale because we have a lot of clothes and different things in the house that I don't need them anymore!

8. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is so different here. I have loads too but no takers for the simple reason that those who would wear the clothes of the kind I have, never go for used clothes. Those who have no clothes to wear will never fit into the ones I have.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    People in my neighborhood hardly know each other and I don't really want to open our gates to strangers for garage sales. Two neighbors tried to hold a garage sale to sell used clothes, but the lack of interested customers discouraged them. We've given used clothes away to people who might need them. Our relatives would sometimes request for them. We just don't accumulate too much clothes so out closet never have to fill up.