Home Delivery for Grocery

Discussion in Food & Drink started by roy835 • Oct 28, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering about the fairly new concept of Home Delivery for Grocery. I guess it would be one of those companies that you call them and give them your Grocery list and they gather the stuff and deliver them to your home. I guess that would be more for people who can afford that because it seems to me that it costs much more than doing your shopping yourself. I have never really compared prices though such as what the difference would be for me to use a service like that compared to me doing the shopping myself. I just been wondering about that. If you know about it, let me know.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of grocery stores are doing that now. Most have the information on their online websites. I have two friends with two different situations that avail themselves of it. The one is legally blind and so it is hard for him to get his food even though he is still able to drive. It is much easier and more convenient for him to buy in bulk and have it delivered to the house. The other is a woman who works at home. It is hard for her to leave just to grocery shop. She works at home, and then in the evenings when her husband comes home she doesn't want to leave him, so she shops weekly online and pays a small fee to have it delivered. I'm sure if you compared the gas you would spend to get to the store the costs would be comparable. I think its a great way to make you stick to your list as well!

3. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    Home delivery for groceries is common in my place. The price charged is no different whether you need your groceries be delivered or not. Of course there will be delivery expense but it can be waived provided that you meet the stores’ shipping requirements. Usually, you can get groceries delivered free of charge if you order in bulk and the total sales volume reaches certain amount. It is convenient if you do not want to leave your home.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part, it isn't about whether one can afford it, unless you are counting the tip for the driver. It's great for older people that can't lift all the groceries that they need and for people that don't have time to shop and stand on line. It's something that I'd consider if I ate a lot of canned or boxed food, but not so much for food that I like to look at prior to picking out.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    The two nicest grocery stores in my town both do home delivery for a small fee. But for an even smaller fee they do online shopping where you drive up and pick up all your groceries. I LOVE IT!! Both places do it for $4.99 a trip, $19.99 a month, or $99 for the entire year.

I have 4 kids now, and I've found that it is totally worth the fee to save the time it takes to get all my brood in and out of the store. Plus, I just love the benefits of having someone else search for the exact product to match my coupon. It is easy to type things in and find them on the computer.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a great idea and I really could have used something like this a few years ago when I was not able to drive for a long time. I hated having to worry about running out of groceries before I could get someone to take me to the store. And my only other options were way costlier - ordering delivery, or paying for a taxi to take me to the store.

One of the bigger grocers in our area had started offering drive by pickups for your groceries, where you could place your order online, then just pull up to the store and someone would bring the groceries out for you, for a fee of $5, which was awesome especially when you don't feel like dealing with crowds and lines. But delivering it to my residence would be even better. Sure you would need to tip the driver as well, on top of the fee you are paying but you are probably saving on groceries anyhow by not making any impulse buys and sticking to your grocery lists and budget.

I did noticed one of our smaller grocers had a van parked out front for making deliveries, it must be something new they started as well, but I've been a little apprehensive to try it out because I don't want to tie up their delivery schedule if there are more needy people that need the service besides me.

7. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have this in my area, but it sounds like it would be good for people who can not get out of thier house. With technology like it is there really is no need to leave unless you wanted it. I heard about a refridgeraror one time that would know, or you could tell it you were low on something and it would send an order for it to be delivered. I wonder if they charge based on where you are, or if they only deliver to certain areas.

8. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    This should be a complementary service, especially to stay at home moms with multiple children and elderly people. It's so hard to go grocery shopping with kids and you end up picking up more than you came for in the end. At least if you order online and have it delivered you can spare yourself the trouble of having to make a decision about whether or not to get another bucket of ice cream. So I think it should be complimentary with tips of course.

9. Juan Flores

Juan FloresNew Member

Threads:
    Say Goodbye to Long lines

I find this a great solution to long lines in the supermarket. I could just imagine the last time i went to a supermarket long lines and a cashier who as never discovered the art of smiling or common curtesy. If there is one pet-peeve that i have, it is grouchy cashiers. So i think having this as a solution to long lines and human interaction to grouchy cashiers is perfect. And besides who want to go out travel miles to just wait in lines for hours. So this is probably the next best thing to sliced bread.