Home Greenhouse

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Barbra_Klawsin • Mar 22, 2016.

1. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    I have a relative who lives in Texas who recently bought a greenhouse from Amazon. She said it's the best thing - wonderful for all her plants. I love in Portland, OR with a very different climate. We have a lot of rain that's wonderful for plants. But at the same time, I'm thinking that maybe a greenhouse might be good for more delicate plants which won't be drowned by all our showers. Has anyone bought a small-ish greenhouse for their backyard? If so - what was your experience? Positive? Worth it? I'd love to know. Thanks so much!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends entirely on what you intend to grow in the greenhouse. There are some plants that will grow well in greenhouses and there are others that won't. You could experiment and see the results before you make a commitment to buy or construct a greenhouse. I've heard that it's relatively easy to make a mini-greenhouse.

Take a look at this

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If you are a keen gardener - then yes a small green house could very definitely be well be worth the investment - as not only can you grow virtually anything in a greenhouse - but as you can manipulate the seasons - they're great for year round gardening - starting plants, extending the growing seasons and for increasing the variety of plants that you grow.

However - if its something that you've never attempted before - as there are also many disadvantages to greenhouse gardening - with cost being the major one - its very definitely well worth taking a bit of time to do some research - in order to help you weigh up the pros and cons prior to investing in one - particularly as - not only are they relatively expense to buy - but the running costs are a big factor too - especially as - depending on climate - they can sometimes be quite high.

For example - as temperature management is of major importance in a greenhouse - there is generally a need for additional heating, cooling and ventilating systems - plus possibly even extra shade in the summer or extra lighting during the winter months and of course some kind of irrigation system.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that - as plants are inside - meaning - not in their natural environment - there are some plant varieties that generally need to be hand pollinated - due to a lack of insects that would normally do the job naturally outside in the garden.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Great advice Denis Hard - as not only are all the ways mentioned in the article - in my mind - the most cost effective ways of starting plants - but as I've been using the majority of those methods very successfully - since my greenhouse was destroyed some six or more years ago now - I would just add - that they all work extremely well too.

In fact so much so - that if only wanting to start plants - meaning - not wanting to grow exotics or plants that would otherwise not survive in your climate without the protection of a greenhouse - all of these methods - will actually save a considerable amount of money - as they all - actually negate the need to invest in a greenhouse.

5. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks everyone for the great input! I'm honestly new to it all and frankly didn't have a germ of a thought yet, just really enjoyed the idea of what some of the more exciting options could be now that I have the space (finally!). Thanks for the link to the great article @Denis Hard@Denis Hard - I love the idea that I can work small to large and stop when I see that the size I've settled on is working for me (or, conversely, if the size I've made myself has put me at my effort-limit I can weight the pros and cons and see if that means it's time to invest).

@gata montes@gata montes - thanks for all your extensive information as well. Again, as I'm just starting out you gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it!

6. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow I didn't know Amazon sold that. That's really amazing! I always wanted a greenhouse for sure. My family always has the grass cut, so I can never plant things just anywhere. Weather changes like crazy where I live at. A greenhouse would be awesome to have. I always see greenhouses somewhere and they always look so pretty. In my opinion it would be totally worth it.

7. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    @TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah - I agree that's part of it as well, the idea of putting up a structure which then would house a lot of plants without disturbing the lawn. I never had a lawn and now that I do I want to maintain it a bit, yet am really excited to start working on growing some beautiful plants. I can't recall the exact conversation but I think that's why my relative in Texas brought up the greenhouse in the first place, as in 'before you decide how to landscape you can enjoy plants in a greenhouse'. Her's is a $500 version - much too spendy for my taste. But Amazon has many other versions and - as @Denis Hard@Denis Hard pointed out, there are make-your-own options that are really economical.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are making a small greenhouse out in the back yard behind the shop/shed. It faces west and in the spring it gets all of the warm afternoon sun. By summer, when the sun is too hot, then we won't need to hve anything in the greenhouse any more; plus there is a huge tree just across the fence behind our house, and it will shade the green house once the tree leafs out in the spring.
    It should also help extend our growing season in the fall because once the trees lose their leaves, then the greenhouse will once again get afternoon sunshine during the cooler fall weather.
    If it works good, then we will probably develop it into a larger area behind the shed.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I saw that Big Lots was selling a small one for around $30. I live in sunny California so I don't really need one, but I can see how people in Oregon or Washington would benefit. There are a lot of online tutorials on how to make one yourself with PVC pipes and sheets of plastic or tarps. That's an affordable option!

10. Barbra_Klawsin

Barbra_KlawsinNew Member

Threads:
    @steph84@steph84 - did the Big Lots one come fully assembled? Or was it you-assemble (but not that much of a bother?) Now I'm thinking that at some point putting together something from a store might be just as much work as making your own. I would think the Amazon one comes completely dissembled (can't imagine them shipping an entire greenhouse in tact!) and at that point if you have to put that whole thing together following instructions you might as well follow a tutorial for a make-your-own with sourced materials.

11. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I bought some really cute flowers, so I really don't want something bad happening to them. I am SO excited about growing some too. I'm sure yours are gonna be so beautiful. I still have to learn the process of it first. Yeah plants look amazing inside a greenhouse. I would definitely enjoy going in there everyday. I will definitely have to go to Amazon when I am ready then. Thanks for the info!

12. jamesfende

jamesfendeMember

Threads:
    I think it would be good for veg that is watering sensitive, like tomatoes that crack if the watering isn't consistent. Look for a bush variety as they do not grow tall and need no support, making them ideal for the small greenhouse you are talking about