Home Made Vs Fast Food

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheKnight • Dec 1, 2016.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Are home made foods really more healthy than fast foods?

I'm talking about making the same foods. Will making a double cheese hamburger with fries at home be healthier than buying it at a restaurant assuming you don't take the measures to attempt to make it healthier? Let's also assume you use the same amount of oil too but choose different meat or turn ground beef into patties.

Which is healthier?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think compared to market food the home made would be a little less harmful. You never know what kind of ingredients the restaurant owners use to prepare those food or what ingredients they use or how many times they use the same oil to cook them which increases the amount of saturated fats. The you make fast food at your home is according to your choice at least if nothing else and yes it costs you lesser too.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Everything that is needed in preparing the foods is the same in the home cooking and in the fast food. I think there is no difference. Those foods have the same nutritious or otherwise effect to the consumers.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since you mentioned switching out the meat, etc., I do think the items could be made somewhat healthier at home. Ground beef is sold in many different percentages, and lower fat is supposedly healthier, although in giving up the fat, you also give up some of the flavor. You could also substitute in turkey or chicken for the beef, or use a mixture that's lower in fat and supposedly healthier. You could also use organic meat, as well as organic vegetables on it, or mix ground vegetables into the ground meat.

In addition to using a better type and quality of oil, one difference that I think could be significant is in the choice of roll or bread. If you made the bread from scratch, and used a higher quality of flour/grain and no low quality ingredients, that would probably help with increasing the healthiness, since fast food chains stay in business by cutting costs, so they probably use cheaper buns.

All of that notwithstanding, I still enjoy a good fast food burger and fries now and then, as well as a few other items, although I only do so a few times per year.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking, homemade food is healthy but it also depends on the one who prepares the food. Some people love salty foods which is bad for the kidneys. When I cook, I see to it that taste must be natural and not because of seasoning. When making fried rice, I do not put salt which is the traditional way but my fried rice is more delicious because of the cooking method and not of the seasoning.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, so what I get from most of the posts here is that homemade isn't always the healthiest choice. It can be as unhealthy as a restaurant's food items. You're right, though, it isn't all about oil and grease but about the chemicals or ingredients they add. Some fast food restaurants have had sketchy pasts.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think homemade can be a bit healthier. We can use the same amount of oil but we can chose a healthier type such as olive oil. Like you mentioned we can use a different type of patty or make our own with ground beef which we will know exactly what we put in it as for the restaurants we don't really know what is added to them.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    You're right about the oil too. I've heard that certain kinds of oil are healthier. Those oils may be healthier but they are more expensive which I don't think any fast food chain would use. They will try to use the cheapest oil possible unless they're advertising how healthy their food is compared to others.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Fast foods are junk food.They give you calories but do not have much nutritional value. On the other hand home made food are not only energy rich bust also full of nutrition. Foods you eat should not only give you energy but also provide required nutrition to your body. Home made foods are always better.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes that is exactly the point, you can still prepare so-called fast food at your own place using lesser harmful ingredients which include oils, chemicals and preservatives. You can even change some of the items used in original recipe according to your own taste.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Aside from the potential of it being healthier, I suppose it's also cheaper and especially if you buy in bulk. I also don't like the artificial yellow cheese they use. I would like to try my natural manchego cheese favorite with a burger. I've also heard that restaurant lettuce sometimes aren't washed well enough.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    As for me I'll always prefer to have my food prepared at home than go for fast food. That way I can manage nutrients in the food in the correct proportions that would appeal to my taste and body. I'd ensure the food made under a thorough clean hygienic condition. Agreed, notable food centers do make superb and well prepared meals but I find that I see myself a better cook than any other.

13. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Homecooked dinners are for the most part viewed as more beneficial than fast food. This is on account of fast food suppers regularly contain large amounts of calories, immersed fat, sugar and salt.

One indicated preferred standpoint of homecooked dinners over fast food is its less expensive cost, MayoClinic.com clarifies. In any case, since you likewise spend on flavoring, fixings and gas and power at whatever point you cook at home, the cost contrast is potentially not as huge the same number of accept. What's more, homecooked dinners by and large set aside more opportunity to get ready and oblige you to have cooking abilities.

Then again, the essence of homecooked dinners is by and large better, since you can choose new fixings. You are likewise ready to guarantee the fixings that go into your nourishment are perfect and free of contaminants.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if you like to eat fast food the same prepared at your home is always healthier than what you get in a restaurant. The worst fast food is available at roadside eating joints where they not follow any kind of preparation standards in their mind. I am not a great fan of fast food so avoid them at every place including home unless I have no option left.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Awe and I like roadside eating joints but that's true because most of them are a lot less sanitary as well. Those restaurants also attract a lot more rats because they're sometimes in bad locations.

I agree and I think the people that don't cook their own food simply don't know how. If they did, I'm sure they would. That's what the case is with most of my friends.

16. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Even if it is the same unhealthy stuff, the homemade version will still score more on hygiene. The oil and other ingredients which are used outside are reused over and over again. This process makes the food even unhealthier. At home, we will at least use all the fresh stuffs which will reduce the negative quotient.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That's true and as I stated before, they just don't care about their customer's health. They just want as much cash in their pocket as possible. I also found out that most of the time, they don't tell the truth about the contents of the meat. I've heard that some patty meats contain bones, eyeballs, and other parts of an animal's body. I don't feel comfortable with a restaurant that lies about their ingredients.

18. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Well I would say it is a bit healthier for me if we cook our own food. Some fast food chains tend to have salty flavored food which we hate. Well cooking a double cheese burger at home with the same amount of oil and cooking fries at home is still the same greasy food we would get from a fast food chain, But I can lessen the salt which would make it a bit healthy I think. And at least I know that the patties are freshly made and it is clean since I'm the one who prepared it.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think the food that is the most different would be fries. They usually contain a good amount of salt and are fully bathed in boiling oil to cook faster so you can add a lot less salt and cook them with a lot less oil on a pan instead. Some people don't even add oil or use a healthier kind of oil. Now that I think about it, anything deep-fried in restaurants are healthier made at home. In the end, it's cheaper and healthier.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I will always go for home made food where I am sure of more quantity of food after the preparation. Many times fast food are not economical way of feeding oneself, you could be spending much money for a small quantity food. If you prepare your food at home you will have larger amount of food for you and your family at a very reasonable cost.