Home made yogurt

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Mar 17, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like yogurt but am allergic to dairy. I can tolerate a bit of goat or sheep yogurt but I don't like their taste all that much. Somebody here started a business making natural coconut yogurt and I got quite addicted to them. The only problem is that they cost $9 each for a small tub. So I was thinking why don't I get a starter culture and try to make some coconut yogurt for myself? Have you ever tried this? And could you recommend a place that sells good starter cultures? I tried to contact the coconut people but so far they didn't get back to me.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    this is very interesting! I love the idea! but no, i have not tried it yet. I suppose you could use gelatin as a thickening agent but it wouldn't be yogurt. Are you saying if you bought the pellets that are used in Europe to start a batch of yogurt this wouldn't be acceptable because it has dairy? I had a friend who made yogurt using them and it just didn't look like it had dairy in them but since I've never bought them I don't know for sure. But if you are used to making it with other yogurt, then I know there is a way to add something without having to use yogurt to do it. I'm going to do more research on this too! i'm really into coconut things right now.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    i have never tried coconut yogurt but i do think that they are one of the best. i have tested them once but i would also like to learn to make them. If you know the recipe please post it. I would definitely love to try it and share it with my friends. I think it will be a wonderful experience.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my travels on the web, I came across this interesting article

that describes how to make a vegan yogurt with pectin and vegan yogurt starter. If I can get my hands on the vegan yogurt starter, I would be very happy to try making yogurt not just with coconut milk, but also with other types of milk. I wonder if you can turn almond milk into an almond yogurt experience?
    I am not sure about whether your common yogurt starter contains dairy. I suppose that it would necessitate a thorough research if one is highly lactose intolerant like myself.