Home Owners Insurance In Another Person's Name?

Discussion in Home & Property Insurance started by pafjlh • Feb 15, 2013.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I wanted to ask a question here and find out if any of you would know the answer. Lets say that your home owner's insurance is in someone else name. For example your father or mother, even your spouse. But then they suddenly die, and this insurance is in their name. Will this effect the policy, will the policy be dropped if the company finds out that the person on the policy is now deceased. I am curious to know if any of you have any idea what this would mean to the insurance policy.

2. Mercy77

Mercy77Member

Threads:
    If your name is not on the insurance policy, you need to let the insurance company know that the person on the policy has passed away. Be sure to tell the insurance company to list you as the new "named insured" to make sure that any claims you may file will be covered. Continuing to pay the policy doesn't mean the insurance company will extend the policy and pay you if something occurs. The policy will pay the person listed on the policy only so make sure you take care of that. If you're lucky, they'll continue the policy, if not, you'll have to find another insurance company. It's always a good idea to list more than one person on a home insurance policy. My mom passed away recently but home insurance was in both our names so I just continued paying the policy. Hope this helps.