Home Remedies For A Cough Or Meds?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Miaka_M • Apr 6, 2016.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have a horrible cough that has lasted about 1 week now and I have been thinking what is better: home remedies or using medications?

I have been alternating between cough medicine and my own tea made of cinnamon, ginger and honey all to soothe the throat.

How many individuals here have their own home remedies for a cough? Do you think that it saves more money to have your remedies for a long term use or to use medications that may be a shorter use time? If you constantly have to purchase ingredients for your remedy, or just buy 1 bottle of cough medicine, which one would be worth it?

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I prefer home remedies for common colds and coughs. With regards to the price, home remedy ingredients aren't that expensive and in my opinion, they work better than over the counter medicines. I have had bad experience with some cough medicines since they make me nauseous and vomit as well. I really don't like that feeling and since then I stayed away from over the counter cough medicines.

Some home remedies I can recommend are:

• Herbal tea, honey and lemon. Mix them together in warm water and that's it. The honey can soothe and the lemon can help stop the congestion, if you have colds.
    • Marshmallow roots. You can find marshmallow tea or supplement in health stores. During the ancient times, marshmallow's flowers and roots were used to relieve coughing and sore throat.
    • Thyme. It has been found that thyme is helpful in respiratory disease like coughs and even bronchitis. You just need to steep thyme for a few minutes and drink it like a tea.
    I hope this helps you!

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a cough that was like adult whooping cough and i had a phone to doctor consult and she rushed over the meds to my pick up sight at Walmart and I went to pick it up. I did home remedies and it didn't work for this cough! I like the meds for the cough for it worked so nicely. Maybe you should get a phone consult so you can get faster results too. Take care!

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I have not tried this home remedy myself. But I have a friend who recently got over a cough, and had ended up hearing that pineapple was five times more effective than cough syrup, so they tried the remedy, and apparently it was very effective. You can only try it out right?

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As most mild or short term coughs are generally a result of a viral infection and will - more often than not - get better on their own within a couple of weeks and therefore don't usually require medical treatment or benefit from it either - and - there is little to no evidence to suggest that any of the over the counter cough suppressants are any more effective than simple home remedies like honey and lemon - I much prefer the latter plus drinking of plenty of fluids - as apart from honey and lemon being considerably cheaper - there are no unpleasant side effects either.

That said - home remedies are not something that would be recommended - for more persistent coughs that have lasted for longer than 3 or 4 weeks or ones that are causing pain or breathlessness - as those are very definitely best dealt with - by seeking medical advice and getting checked out.

Oh and would just add - if thinking of trying pineapple for coughs - not only is it totally ineffective - but its actually a myth - and one I might add - that has been debunked many, many times over - since as far back as 2011.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've never taken medicine for either cough or cold. I guess my immune system has been trained to handle infections effectively. I've never tried home remedies either, but I do strengthen my immune system regularly by consuming foods that are rich in antioxidants including pineapple, broccoli, lemon, and green tea. I also take ginger tea almost everyday.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I will go for the outright medicine for the cough and be relieved as quickly as possible. In as much as I'd have like use the home remedies but I am not ready to suffer long under the effect of the cough before I get a relieve when there is a quicker alternative.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Cough and cold are some of the most common problems especially during change in weather. You will be surprised to note that our moms and grand moms can cure these problems with items available in their kitchen like black pepper mixed with honey, basil, ginger and clove. In fact an Indian kitchen is full of spices which can be used for common diseases easily.

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I always use home remedies for cough. If the home remedies do not cure cough in more than a week, I administer clinical medicine fro cough. Honey and ginger juice is the best home remedy for cough. If you take this mixture twice a day for couple of days, your cough will be gone.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This post has voiced the exact message that I had in mind.

While in the initial stages you may try turmeric powder with honey and other home remedies, I have ALWAYS found them to be ineffective and jave eventually turned towards modern medicine.

I had a 3 month cough- of allergic origin, so when it comes to cough I know the pain, embarrasement and the feeling of being fed up.

If your cough appears as soon as you open your mouth to talk it could be that you are getting an allergic or spasmodic kind of cough. Try talking to your doctor, and see what may help you.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer home remedies over medications, I feel like they work much better anyway. The remedy I have recently tried is chamamoil tea with a tea spoon of natural honey and a few drops of lemon. Works great for the cold plus gets rid of fevers, will at least to me it did.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Simple honey has always been my go. When you add up all the costs, if you go out and buy a bunch of honey and do a little research how to make it into some teas and drops, you can save quite a bit too.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    No meds practically speaking could compete with a homemade remedy for coughs. I remember every time our kids would suffer from a cough due to allergy or whatever it is, she just took some pieces of "alibhon" or clinically as Sambong in our local dialect. She made a concoction of its leaves and had our kids drink of it. It is a matter of an hour the cough is gone. It is being repeated on the following day to avoid recurrence. Natural remedy is better than a chemically produced med for cough.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you to eat mixture of ginger, honey, black pepper thrice a day and drink lukewarm water for at least 4-7 days. We also use basil in this mixture but I am not sure whether you could find them in your area.

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    My son has regular attacks of Bronchitis. I try to give him some home remedies and if that doesn't work, then it is medicines. Although he is taking his puffs daily (maxiflow and levolin), but still he gets these coughing attacks. It is always better to try the home remedies first. Sometimes you can control the cough with the home remedies itself. You don't need to have any medication.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think yours is different case being a known case of bronchitis so your son has lesser chances of getting any benefit of home remedies and it is not suggested as well. I can however suggest you Ayurvedic treatment for your son which will be beneficial in the long run. You can use puffs as per suggestions by your doctor but Ayurveda has permanent treatment of bronchitis, as one of my co-brother was suffering from this problem and now he has fully recovered.