Home Remedies For Toothache

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Aug 11, 2015.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    There's hardly someone who has not gone through a bout of toothache ever in life, and this is a useful thread to sum up all the readily available remedies. To add to the list, there're peppermint oil, garlic, Hydrogen Peroxide rinse which could give some temporary relief as well.

2. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    About 6 years ago, I was really worried about my dog...(waiting for test results back from the vet.) I had to wait 11 days. During this time, I was unknowingly clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep. I also wasn't aware that I had damaged a filling on one of my back teeth, and the tooth itself started to grind down to almost nothing. I had such terrible pain, pain that was stemming from not only that one tooth, but all along that side of my mouth. This is called "referred pain." Again, I had no clue that I was actually the one damaging my own tooth in my sleep, (just from waiting for these test results, and clenching my own teeth so hard while asleep.) The only thing that worked for me, was swishing that back area with some whiskey. It totally numbed it up. I would also swallow a little bit of the whiskey at the very end too. :D I'm sure that helped as well.

Anyway, it was a wisdom tooth, and I ended up extracting the rest of it myself, accidentally leaving the in the roots. Needed to see an oral surgeon to get them taken out 5 years later. :mad: All is well now, but I still swear by whiskey for immediate tooth pain relief. ;)

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually suffer from toothache from time to time to the point of
    developing an inflamed jaw during the cold season. This comes from
    cavities. I have tried various interventions like painkillers but so
    far, ginger powder works best. I sprinkle some on a toothbrush and am
    good to go. It also cleans the teeth further reducing the recurrence
    of pain.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips. I always go to a dentist if I get a toothache as it will be chronic and I won't be able to bear it. I don't try the natural remedies. Next time I will try these and then go to a dentist. :)

5. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I would advise you to always consider going to the doctor as a precaution instead of using home made remedies that can lead to problems.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I have used clove oil for severe toothache and found immediate relief. Cotton wad soaked in clove oil and placed on the affected tooth works very well. Clove oil acts as an antiseptic, it helps to arrest the infection and also numbs the area so the pain lessens. However, clove oil or whatever else we might vouch for, it is only a remedial measure for temporary relief and not complete cure. So it is better to visit the dentist and see what the problem is for total relief.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I had known about some of these remedies when I was younger as I suffered a lot of toothache in my time. I always took over the counter pain killers which offered temporary relif but it was always some time before they took effect.

The problem is these are only temporary solutions and the pain will always come back if you don't visit a dentist. In most cases if a tooth is giving you pain it needs dental treatment as they don't heal by themselves.

8. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use an ice pack on the affected area. The ice pack makes the swollen area numb so you tend to feel less pain. Also chewing on some ginger or boiling it and using it as a gargle is an effective way of relieving the pain. The anti bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger also helps in the healing of the affected tooth.

9. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    A toothache is the worst pain I have felt in my mouth. It caused me excessive pain and even a headache. Getting an appointment with the dentist will take some time until then , I recommend the following home remedies.

1) Garlic is practically a medicinal wonder, proven to be a very effective antiseptic with potent antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Chop one garlic clove ,then smash it and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. Then apply a small amount directly onto the affected area. It will relieve the pain.

2) I have used cloves because of their anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and anesthetic property. They are quite effective in relieving the pain.

3) I have used warm salt water to swish around in my mouth for about 30-40 seconds and then spit it out. Doing this 4-5 times a day will surely relieve the toothache.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried making a paste out of water, salt and pepper and applied it on my tooth, it does lessen the pain but it still hurts. Making a paste using garlic and ginger can be used as a home remedy for toothache as well. Just minced both garlic and ginger and apply it on the affected area.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I use baking soda which I add to the affected area and after two days the aching is usually off. I also use onion in the occasion the ache is harsher. Both work great though and haven't had a tooth ache bad enough to see the dentist for treatment which is too expensive.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Ibuprofen is quite cheap already, that's what my dentist prescribed to me after I got my tooth extracted. I would rather have that than try those home remedies since I'm not convinced that they will work.

13. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. I thought I had heard it all. Pepper and salt to relieve tooth ache. That's a first. I would never advise this though. It may cause more harm than good. The tooth ache could be caused by a bruised gum or a hole. Applying pepper I this situation will be disaster.

I had also read some interesting remedies in this thread that I would like to give a try.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It's interesting to see the the various types of suggested solutions to the tooth ache problem. I am wondering how effective some of them might be and if they would the similar effect on everyone. I would prefer going to the dentist but the problem here is that the dentist will not pull of fill an aching tooth, that is my understating of the situation anway. Therefore, folks will be trying to formulate stuff to ease the sometimes excruciating pain. I will take note of the seemingly safer methods because they might be useful at sometime down the road

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing all these home remedies for toothache, I was not aware of them before. Though I really do not like to visit the dentist, I always do when I need to as I am always afraid my tooth issue would become worse, so usually it is before I have toothache and the dentist has helped me with it. It's still good to know these.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is known that clove oil relieves pain but sooner or later one has to go to the dentist for a permanent cure - may be extraction, root canal or bridging. It is not advisable to resort to methods that deaden one's pain as it will not reduce infection.