Home remedies to beat cold

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Konstantina • Apr 5, 2012.

1. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Weather plays games the past few days and here are some tips to make you feel better if you have a cold. Drink lots of fluids as they keep you hydrated and you can fight fever this way. Have some light snacks every now and then that will keep you feeling strong and eliminate the overall tireness. If you have a sore throat you can try tea with honey and lemon, but not too hot as it might make things worse. Last but not least; get some rest, you probably need it anyway. By the way, any store offering discount on strepsils? :D

2. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    What I like to do as soon as I start to feel sick is to take a little extra Vitamin C and start drinking a ton of fluids to keep you hydrated & flush some of the toxins out. It is a fairly economic way to get a jump start on heading off a cold or at least lessening the severity of it in most cases. By the way, what are Strepsils? I have never heard of them are they a supplement to take when feeling ill?

#2Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh you are right. I studied in Britain and some things have stuck to my mind :) They are very very yammy lozenges like Cepacol, but they have different ingredients that allow you to take them more frequently. And they are not expensive. I used to take them all the time because you know what the weather is like there!

4. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    Oh thank you, I kind of thought they might be something like that. I suppose I could of looked it up online LOL. I wonder if they have those in the U.S as that is where I'm from. I'm always on the lookout for good products that are recommended by others! Thanks again for your quick response :D

5. paolochicha

paolochichaNew Member

Threads:
    Best remedy's that I've come across that work are:

1) Ginger ale and fresh lemons cut up and boiled on the stove for 1 min. It's an amazing drink if you like lemons and seems to losen everything within a day.

2) White Rub!!! Chest, Neck, Feet and socks and lots of blankets to heat you out. :)

3) Powdered Mustard, Flower and boiled water. Mix everything together until it's pasty and put it between paper towen then wrap in a towel to avoid direct heat to body(Will burn), Put it on your chest for 10 minutes, 10 on your upper back, 10 on front again and 10 on back, then load up with White Rub and snuggle into bed. If you feel like your ready to die because you just can't break it...this works wicked!!!! (Also a good remedy for people who suffer for Arthritis)

6. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Awee hot toadie! Thats Hot water, a splash of Scotch Whiskey and some Honey. Cleans the pipes right out, it is an old Scottish home made remedy.

7. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Whiskey, honey, and lemon is great for a cough. My mom actually used to give this to my brothers and me when we were little. Years later when I told her I couldn't believe she was feeding children liquor, she laughed and said our pediatrician recommended it. Oh well, a teaspoonful isn't going to do much damage.

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I make a homemade med-lemon with some boiled water, fresh lemon squeezed in to water, some honey and a baby aspirin (and sometimes some chilli). It works like a bomb. Also drinking some hot pepper in water with turmeric, but the first one is my favorite...they both work each and every time!

9. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    A big dose of vitamin C is great right when you start to feel bad. A spoon full of honey helps a sore throat and is a natural expectorant for chest congestion.

I used to have an herbal cold remedy tea that really helped. It didn't cure me, but it did relieve my symptoms for a while with no side effects.

10. brandontnguyen

brandontnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    When you have a sore throat, nothing really beats gargling warm salt water. Not really sure why it works, but it definitely does.

11. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    Nice hot drink which helps with mucus and general feeling miserable:

Take root ginger, take the skin off and chop it up into small chunks. Stick in a pan of water and bring to the boil then simmer for 10-15mins. You can do this with a cinammon stick in if you want for some extra yummyness. Then leave to settle for 1-2 hours and this will bring out the gingeryness.

Make a big pot as you then have loads.

Put some in a mug (minus ginger chunks) and reheat in a microwave or just bring up to the boil again. Add honey and lemon juice to flavor in the mug as required and drink away!

Hot milk with a shot of brandy is also good....

12. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Small chunks of garlic in a salad with vinegar dressing. I have to gag it down, but it usually takes care of the itch in my throat, lol. My aunt recommended this to me and I thought she was crazy. It worked, but that garlic taste is a hard one to get down and it makes your breath smell.

13. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    Vapor rub on the chest area and bottom on the feet to eliminate cough. Plenty of vitamin C to keep the immune system strong and keep hydrated throughout the day.

14. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I try to start cramming the vitamin C at the first sign of cold, then I try to drink plenty if fluids, especially hot tea, and lay off the coffee, which seems to make it worse. Then, if I still feel awful, I'll make some chicken noodle soup with plenty if broth, and eat it. I always try to get extra rest when I have a cold.

15. Stitches

StitchesNew Member

Threads:
    First thing first, Vitamin C. I'll usually eat like 2-3 oranges for this. Then I'll make something hot such as soup or noodles. Taste delicious, will clear your throat and sinus at the same time too from swallowing and ingesting the heat.

16. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    The best home remedies to beat a cold, is drink a plenty of water and take vitamin c. If you have sore throat,i suggest you drink a cup of tea with honey because it helps you pass the burning sensation.Anyway i advise you even for a simple cold, contact a doctor because this can may worsen if not treated well.

17. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Make sure you enough Zs and Cs. Those two letters are the secret. Resting well and a lot of Vitamin C! Drink a lot of lemonade or any citrus juice to ease your feeling. :)

18. Marya

MaryaNew Member

Threads:
    Here are some remedies you can do to beat cold:
    Take 3 pcs. cloves add some black pepper and make a paste in mustard oil. Put the mixture in a cloth and warm it in a pan Once it becomes warm, apply it on your nose. Do this several times in a day to ease your cold.
    Mix one teaspoonful of ginger juice and honey and have it twice a day.
    Mix ginger and basil leaves, consume about the grams of this mixture twice in a day.
    Crush some rock salt and 3 pcs. of black pepper. Add this mixture to warm water and have it once a day.
    Add black pepper and jiggery in some curd and have it twice a day; it will instantly cure your cold.
    Hope it will help!

#18Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  19. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Since I've started eating healthier, my colds haven't been as bad. Unfortunately, I do suffer from allergies during the end of spring/beginning of summer, but throughout the year I may have one cold. I do hate it, but a cold is necessary and I try my best to endure the pain, though I do drink extra glasses of orange juice and eat extra vegetables for it to end quicker.

Boy do I hate colds, especially the sore throat!

Thanks for the tips.

20. Declan

DeclanBanned

Threads:
    Hi Konstantina,
    Great tips to cure cold and like to add some more tips to cure cold.
    Increase waiter intake and watch what you eat. Blow nose more often, gargle and drink hot soups. Use a humidifier, take steamy showers. Avoid alcohol, smoking and other stimulants.