Home Remedy For Ear Aches?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Nov 3, 2015.

1. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Because of allergy season, I tend to have a lot of fluid in my ears. It's common around here, or so my doctor says. Every once in awhile it causes earaches and mostly it's just an annoying feeling of water moving around. I try to take allergy medicine when it gets too bad, but I really hate the feeling that it gives me: makes me groggy and tired.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good old-fashioned home remedies that might help instead?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When my son gets an earache I will heat up a heating bag or water bottle and he puts his sore ear against the heat. Bringing heat to the area will give some relief and bring blood to the area to help heal. I also like to rub the outside of his ear with Vick's vapor rub, the peppermint smells great and opens his sinuses and rubbing the area brings blood to it to heal. I have some homeopathic drops I use as well and they seem to work well. When none of this works we take him to the pediatrician for antibiotics.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of the home remedies for ear aches I've heard would end up causing you more pain instead of relieving the pain. One which I think can work however since it doesn't involve holding anything against the ears, is steam inhalations. The steam reduces swellings and might relieve the pain. Boil some water and inhale the steam. I've heard there are some herbs which if added will make the steam even more effective but since those herbs can't be found easily best to use what you already have.

Hot steam can help the fluids in the Eustachian tubes to drain (literally by causing your nose to run), which relieves pressure in the inner ear. Adding certain medications or scents to the steam can add an additional benefit of a gentle anesthetic for the ear pain.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just reading on facebook yesterday, or the day before, that if you have earache or various other ailments, that if you put an onion - not a whole one, but if you cut it and slip it into the grooves of your ear - that they are supposed to relieve pain as well as other symptoms. I don't know if this works, because I haven't tried it, but it seemed interesting.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all the advice. I have heard the onion tip before, but I'm not sure I'm willing to try it! I have also heard that apple cider vinegar can be used as ear drops. I have used it to clean my cat's ear before and I know a lot of people who swear by the health benefits of AC vinegar. I haven't tried it myself yet.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I also have some problems with my ears.
    There's no pain, but there's fluid or whatever in there (I always tought it was wax), and it mainly bothers me because it closes the ear, and reduces hearing.
    It's the worst going about your business only hearing from one ear. It just messes up the whole day.

I'm trying the steam right now.
    I'll try the heating bag later.
    Not sure about the other ones though... Definitely not putting stuff in there without a real medics advice.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apparently the onion juice has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties so I can see how this would work. Some sort of hot poultice containing raw onion would probably work wonders.