Home Server

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by nonsiccus • Jan 14, 2015.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Just wondering if anyone else runs a server at home for hobby, enthusiast or work purposes?

I have an old Dell server that I use to run a few things and to tinker with. It hosts a few websites, some coding projects and overall just a technical playground for whenever I have the urge to tinker.

It's really convenient as I can host my own voice service, screen sharing and all sorts of things to make my life easier. It also serves as a central media hub for all of my devices including my computer and television. It enables me to stream media from any network enabled device in my home.

2. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    I'm with you. Home servers are truly convenient. In the past I have done some experiments with my main desktop computer which resembles one. While I don't run a dedicated server at home, my main computer remains turned on most of the day so it did fit perfectly. Some of the things made possible thanks to it:

- Allow my family to share files across mobile devices (tablets and smartphones) by sending them to the server first, then instructing the other family member to download from the shared folder.

- Running a small family chat which doesn't send message to "big brother" first.

- Using the main computer as a download + streaming hub. It beats downloading a big movie to the smartphone. Also, it is more convenient since one download can be accessed from multiple devices at once. Local streaming speeds rock!