Home-Shopping Parties

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Strykstar • Jul 8, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever hosted or been to a home-shopping party?
    I'm talking about the "tupperware parties" where a person hosts a party where she will try to sell items like tupperware, jewelry, knifes, all sorts of stuff, to their party guests.
    I've never been to one, it seems like a really strange concept but apparently people never had any troubles with them so maybe I'm in the wrong.

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a stay-at-home-mom so YES, I have definitely been to my fair share of parties. Thats what a lot of SAHMS do: get into the home party business. Candles, kitchen products, food, etc. I went a different route by deciding to work online but I still get invited often. They are usually pretty fun because it can turn into another excuse to see friends. I usually go for that reason and to support whoever is hosting the party/selling the products. I occasionally buy but not that often.

3. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been to home shopping party and have also hosted a few. They are actually a lot of fun. It is nice to be able to get together with friends, in a relaxed environment and shop! There are also a lot of great incentives for hosting such parties. A hostess will generally receive free product or heavily discounted product in return for hosting a party.

4. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I know my mom went to one like that before. She would always go to awesome parties where she would win stuff. Sometimes she would even come home with some very strange things. I wouldn't mind going to get one where I got free food!

God bless, LIONZFIRE

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It does sound like a lot of fun, especially since you're able to get together with your friends, but doesn't it get a bit weird "pushing" your friends to buy your items?
    It seems like putting a lot of pressure on them, otherwise they might feel like you think they're "moochers" just there for the free food.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have been invited to quite a few but never gone because I don't have any interest in buying tupperware, candles, wax beads, jewelry or anything of that nature. I know it sounds mean but it's not my cup of tea and I would feel weird going and not buying anything.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's my thought as well, if you go, you feel a pressure and an obligation to buy something, so I'm not if I'd go because I'd run the risk of looking like a moocher.
    When you invite your friends to this you are putting lots of pressure on them.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I completely agree! I have some friends who don't mind and happily go and enjoy a light dinner and some drinks and then leave without buying anything, who am I to say that is wrong, but it's also not my style. My other issue with these parties is that I find the stuff usually has a bit of a mark up--generally rather significant the more I think about it--and any savvy shopper knows they could do much better. I understand the premise and spirit of the party and supporting a friend but with so many people counting their pennies these days I am surprised these home shopping parties are still around.