Homemade cheap pizza

Discussion in Food & Drink started by kindredsoul • Mar 13, 2014.

1. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I want to try something I saw on the Internet. You buy french bread and then you get your sauce and add cheese. I would guess it probably cost around $1.00 for the bread, $4.00 for Paul Newman spaghetti sauce--try Sockarooni!-- and I can get a pound of block cheese for about $4.00. So that would be $9.00 for french bread pizza. It seems like a lot, but you have to remember that you would left over spaghetti sauce and cheese. Has anyone already tried making this?

2. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I'd never tried it before and this is the first time I'm listening to this. How did it come out actually? Does it taste like the pizza which we buy out at some restaurant? I'm very eager to know about this.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite things to eat as a kid (and still now, sometimes) are pita pizzas. You just take pita rounds (you can use the pocketed ones for pizza pockets), cover with cheap pizza toppings, and voila! Cooks extremely fast and is very tasty.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say the sauce would be a pretty important ingredient next to the cheese if you're going to be spending so little on the bread. It's an interesting idea. I'm thinking it may cheapen (cost not quality) the final result but end in more time spent if you made your own pizza crust. Super simple.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do stuff like this all the time. Although the prices I would pay are quite different from yours. It's usually the other way around, the fresh French bread will likely run me about $3-$4, and the sauce I will buy my favorite off brand or even just a can of crushed tomatoes that I will season myself, for $1. I could get the cheese for about $2.50 if I shop around, and don't need to stick with the brand names - so that would put me in the $6.50-$7 range.

I would do it, if I wanted a change of pace from the regular greasy pizzas you get from delivery, or the soggy bland uber-processed tasting frozen pizzas. French bread works beautifully for pizzas since it's crispy and toothy by not greasy. Plus the loaf was likely made fresh that day.

I also like making quick pizza's on pita breads, or on bagels too.

The sauce would be easy to make from scratch, all you need to make homemade pizza sauce is some crushed tomatoes. Just heat some fresh garlic and red pepper flakes in some olive oil, then add the crushed tomatoes, along with a generous amount of oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and perhaps some sugar if need be. Let it simmer and reduce down so it thickens and the flavors concentrate.

6. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a waste of money. Why buy second rate homemade pizza for $9. When you can go to Dominoes and get a fresh one for $5.99 each, This would be a waste of time, and money.