Homemade Curry Powder

Discussion in Food & Drink started by eagletal88 • Feb 2, 2015.

1. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I love chicken curry, and for the longest time I used McCormicks curry powder. That was until recently when I found out it contained the dreaded MSG.

I want to surprise my wife with a homemade chicken curry meal and was wondering if anyone had a good healthy recipe they use?

Of course per this website, I am trying to keep the costs down of the ingredients as well.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I grind in a morter and pistol equal amounts of cumin, corriander, and turmeric. Then I add 1/2 of whatever amount I used prior (meaning 1 T to 1 t, etc) mustard seed, hot pepper, ginger.

You can add other ingredients if you like too but this one is good in anything.

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Dreaded MSG? Err... You do realize that if you do not have MSG sensitivity, then there is nothing wrong with the substance, just a lot of fake science that makes you believe that it is a Very Bad Food! It is not unhealthy for most people.

Just thought I'd bring this up because I know a lot of fake overblown information can be found on the Internet. Edx.org offered the online class Food for Thought, given by McGill university, and they are pretty good at clearing up what is exaggerated (or even fabricated) by medias and hiveminds and what is actually underrated and very important. MSG belongs to the first category.

Thouch what H.C. Heartland describes is a recipe that looks legit. To have good quantities of turmeric and cumin is for sure a good idea when one wants to cook Indian :)