Homemade Gift Ideas

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by whysewserious • Sep 1, 2016.

1. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    With the holiday season approaching and coming at us rapidly, I am already in the mindset of starting to make homemade gifts for my family and friends.

I can do simple knitting and crocheting, but everyone has already received scarves from me and I do not want them to grow tired of it.

I have a big family so couples gifts are a welcome idea, as are ones for kids. I had thought of melting down crayons and pouring them in to molds to make custom shaped crayons, and drawing a coloring book for each child as a gift.

I want these to be of good quality and to keep everything fairly inexpensive, if such a thing can be done!

2. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I have made small jean pocket purse (really easy to do) for my preteen nieces before, and filled them with girl things from the dollar store (peel off tattoos, nail polish, lip gloss, etc) It was super cheap and they loved them. For little ones I have made quiet books (they take a lot of work though), and the babies we made blankets (thankfully my hubby knows how to sew to, and helped) Last year we didn't have time to make anything so we ended up buying thinks but kept it cheap. We found so HUGE coloring books at the dollar tree for some of the little ones and also awesome small children books, we made little drawing packs things for them (there are alot of GOOD quality things in the books and coloring section at the Dollar Tree). For the older girls we bought tie-dye kits and white shirts for them (they LOVED them) and they were about 5-6 dollars each. I like getting them things that kids really don't do nowadays they always seem to love crafts and such. Now for our brothers and sister we don't do gifts, we just do gifts for the kids usually and bring something (cookies and maybe a board game) to share and do with the adults at the gathering. Our parents we get gifts sometimes it really depends on the budget, I really try to get them something.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    If you are able to do it, homemade pasties and other kind of desserts are a lovely idea as a gift. Cooking is always a welcome gift.

4. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I really like to paint artwork for my family members. I did a watercolor painting for my aunt because she has done her whole house in a beach theme and because she's a Cancer. Though I don't think she realizes that's why she got a crab. It's really fun to give something unique to people that already have everything.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to go to the library and get some books on crafting to get inspired for gifts for the holiday season. I like to give out jams because they are so easy to make and I can decorate the jar in a super cute way. Baked goods are usually my favorite.

6. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    I like your idea for coloring books for the kids. I once wrote a little 10-page ebook for my daughter and got it printed out. She gave some of her friends the books as a gift at her birthday party. She was so excited to see her own name in print. You could maybe personalize each of the kids' books and make it even more special for them.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If you know how to draw, create a nice piece of art or a scene on a canvas. That is what I do and they always love it. Instead of them having to buy hundred dollar pieces, I just make it for them for free on their birthdays.It isn't too expensive and it's fun to make.

8. Joanna458

Joanna458New Member

Threads:
    I make pastries and desserts. Puff pastry desserts is my favorite.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make gift baskets I plan for months ahead since I collect things they like for a discount price. I buy baskets, containers or even nice bags to create their gift baskets or packages. All put together a gift basket comes to be about $15 which I think is a good price for having many little things the receiver likes.