Homemade gifts to save money

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Dude • Apr 1, 2012.

1. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    Hey everyone! This is something that I do to save money around the Holidays every year; making gifts rather than buying them.

Do you guys do this? It's not that original of an idea, but it really does save a lot of money. It also adds a really personal touch to gifts that people love!

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I do this! Usually I buy some items, and make a nice giftbox. Not really 100% home made, but still saves a lot of money compared to buying them in the store. I also tend to make shortbread for people, since I am Scottish, everyone loves it! I also have been known to make candles, bathbombs, soaps, and other items. I usually make them in the favourite scent of my friends, and they have loved them because they are unique!

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We do this often. We have done it for the children's teachers before. I think it is a great idea for teachers, it still shows that you were thinking of them and I think they appreciate that the kids actually made their gifts. My Aunt also crochets and makes blankets for gifts.

4. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    My children like to make the cookie jars. We fill jars with all of the dry ingredients to make cookies and attach the recipes. I know that this is an idea that has been around for a long time, but my kids have fun with it. We mainly do it for the grandparents, and my kids love it when they get to help them make the cookies. My step mom always makes home made candy for the kids. She finds some really nice tins to put it in, and everyone loves it. I keep trying to get her to make me a tin.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I make homemade gifts. Coming up to Christmas, I usually make some chutneys and pickles, and I give friends a mini hamper of them for Christmas. It's something everyone uses, and they can be quite expensive to buy, but really cheap to make. And of course, home-made items are always much nicer and much healthier than store bought stuff.

6. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Absolutely! This is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays. I love to make jams and jellies in sweetly decorated jars. Bundt cakes, fruit cakes and pies are usually for those closest to me since shipping fresh food is obviously a bit pricier but fresh made gifts and goodies during the holidays are always a good way to say "I thought of you this holiday season!"

7. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, there are an extremely limited number of things that I'm capable of making on my own in terms of homemade gifts. I would love to be able to craft something special enough to give out to people. I'm just not skilled enough for all that.

8. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    At least half of the gifts I give are homemade, including birthdays and other special occasions. Saves lots of money and I like the personal touch. Plus, I love crafts and cooking. I make deluxe bookmarks for readers; crocheted afghans, blankets, scarves and doilies; flavored vinegars and oils (have to start those a couple months before giving); lots of baked goods; and jewelry (beaded & silver). I also make all my own gift bags and boxes from cardboard and paper scraps and paints. There are so many crafty sites online with projects even beginners can do that make wonderful gifts. I'm going to make seed bombs this year. Seeds embedded in scrap paper that recipient can just put in the ground for a mini garden.

9. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I like making personalized gifts. Sometimes, I also make a bunch of crafts and sell them at the fair in our campus. Not only does it save me a lot of money, it also helps me earn some. I make homemade candles using old discarded crayons, picture frames, abstract posters, greeting cards, bookmarks, etc. I really love arts and crafts.

10. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I like doing them, more to make them personal than to save money, but I really have little time now, with my job and school. So a good book with a signed page would mostly do it ;)

11. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    Personalized gifts are great! There are plenty of gifts to choose from, You can make your personalized shirt, mugs, stickers, photo frame, scrapbook, card, and VIDEOS. I do videos most of the time. Not only you can save money, but you can also make that gift extra special. :)

12. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Personalized gifts are great, but if you start making something you might actually end up paying more! So always make sure that you make something that only needs your attention and time. If you start making something that needs you to buy things, you might have a problem.

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of homemade gifts. Not only are they more personalized, but they also save money. There was one Christmas where everybody in my family got a homemade crocheted scarf. There was another Christmas where I simply cooked for everyone.

14. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do it often, but I have made gifts before. I used to make macrame hemp jewelry a lot and made some necklaces for my cousin's daughters as a Christmas gift. They seemed to really like them, but I dropped the hobby a while back.

My little sister loves to get my white chocolate cheesecake as a gift and I'm always happy to oblige so long as she shares!

15. Benleem

BenleemNew Member

Threads:
    Yuup! Happens often. Turned xmas tree photos into cool gift card pieces of art. Working with my children for some colorful paper art with some images we took while on hike. Sounds like too much work but with kids everything turns out to be fun.

16. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    Every single year I have intentions to make homemade gifts. This year I won't be able to afford to buy a bunch of gifts. I'll definitely be making a bunch of stuff!

17. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I love to make homemade soaps, tea baskets, breads, cookies, and candy for gifts. It's so fulfilling, and always appreciated, not to mention, less expensive.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've found that making homemade soaps (well, lotions, actually as I'm not particularly good at soapmaking) comes out to way more expensive than I think it's going to every time I do it...

19. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I think home made and hand crafted gifts are a lot more special - you make it with your own hands and your own hard work.

How do you make homemade soaps and lotions? Ive always wanted to learn what is in soap since my skin can get very dry and irritated with usual soaps due to having sensitive skin.

20. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use rubber stamps, and I have made sets of note cards as gifts. I have also bought blank calendars and stamped each month's page with a theme related to that month. And homemade Christmas ornaments are a great gift. Every year when I get out our ornaments, I remember the different people who gave them.