Homemade Silver Polish

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Ke Gordon • Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I have a new diswasher and use Finish dishwasher detergent and rinse,, I still think my silverware should be polished a bit before Thanksgiving, some of it is water or soap stained. I think I have some brasso here...but if I wanted to make a home made silverware polish what would I use?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Ketchup - it works wonders on silverware .

Just in case you think I'm kidding - I can assure you I'm not - as not only is it a tried and tested method for cleaning copper pots and pans, stainless steel and silverware - that works like a magic wand

but one that I can vouch for too. As having now - after mentioning it some months ago in a thread on a similar topic - used ketchup to clean both stainless steel and silverware myself - can virtually guarantee that you won't be disappointed with the results - as it really does do what it is said to do - very easily and very inexpensively too.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have a large enough ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, you can clean them in there. I've done that in the past. I only have a small one now, so my flatware won't fit. I have silver cleaning cloths that I use, but as @gata montes@gata montes mentioned, I've heard that ketchup works, as well. I guess it's the acid in the tomatoes that remove the tarnish.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use toothpaste. It is not as abrasive as a baking soda paste. But there is a good baking soda paste recipe where you line your bowl with foil. Add baking soda and salt then slowly add vinegar to make the chemical reaction needed to clean the silver (but doing it first so as to dissolve the granules that might scratch your silver). When it is dissolved you can add your silverware and then pour in some boiling water. You might need to use something to turn them. After about 20 minutes, I take each piece out and then rub it clean with a clothe. It works for jewelry too!