Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Oct 12, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. The line is so think that it looks like it blurs a lot of the time. Take me for example. If I am reading fiction online, and one of the two lesbian characters has been given a penis - it is called a gip or a girl peen usually - I can't read the fic. I just don't understand why the writer would ruin a perfectly good lesbian couple in favor of giving one of them a penis, especially when the story content seems like it would be otherwise brilliant for me to read. It is frustrating for me. But at the same time I understand that bisexual women exist and may enjoy that type of fiction. Still, I know that I don't like reading about lesbian couples where one of them has a penis. If I say this on tumblr or whatever, I am most likely considered a biggot, or transphobic, because there are lesbian relationships out there where both women will have penises. To each their own, but that sort of thing isn't for me. Same thing with butch women. I literally do not understand how lesbians are attracted to butch women. I know that I am gay because I find women sinfully sexy and I fall in love with them. I can't do that with a butch woman. That is not what I am attracted to. I am gay because I like everything about women. Again, to each their own but I just don't understand why butch women are so popular in the gay community as far as other women thinking that they are hot. I can understand straight women and or bisexual women being into them. But femme lesbians being into women who are so butch makes no sense whatsoever to me. I don't get it. If I were to voice this, I would probably be jumped upon. It is so frustrating to not understand why lesbians are attracted to butch women. But I think you have to be careful how you present your view. But even then, there is always someone out there who will take biggotry from what you are saying regardless of how you try to put it or explain yourself. It is very tricky. Many people just see that you don't agree with their view and jump on you for being a bigot.

You make a great point there; I think the line may very well be drawn at when freedom of speech begins to negatively impact a certain group's lives.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    That's probably close to the truth than anything else. I don't think you can point to one factor or another that leads to homosexuality completely. I think what's important is that we try to accept everyone's differences and treat everyone with love and respect whether or not we agree with their sexuality and life style choices or not. Accepting people as they are is a big deal to me.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, it's crazy for people to think that anyone would choose the difficult path of being gay and make themselves a target for hate and violence.
    My friend Hector tried so hard to not be gay that he married a woman he didn't love and fathered a 2 year old son. He had to get drunk just to sleep with his wife.

The happiest and most comfortable I ever saw him was when he came out as gay and showed up at gay night at the nightclub that I worked at.

Being gay is not a fun lifestyle choice that is made lightly. Sometimes it's an agonizing decision to stop pretending to be straight because it doesn't feel right and you're not being true to yourself.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Ugh. That sounds awful!!!! I couldn't imagine doing that with a man - getting married and having to get drunk before I could sleep with him. A sure form of torture, especially when sex can be such a gorgeous pleasurable thing when done with the right person. There are many instances where people shun down low men, and get mad at them for having a wife and children when it all comes out that they are gay. But what do you want these poor people to do? If they live an open lifestyle - depending on where they are located - it could end in death, or bodily harm. If they go on and try to live a conventional life, and it doesn't work then they are also shunned for it. It is kind of a lose lose.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they try to live a conventional lifestyle and pretend to be straight, people get mad at them because they want them to be completely "cured" of gay feelings and desires, not just act like it. It's messed up and I think that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, homophobic people should have to come back as gay people so they can see how hard it is.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well you already know that I believe in reincarnation, and I believe that what you said is exactly what happens. But not just with being gay. I think it happens with race too, or with any unique perspective in life. Perhaps I was a homophobic biggot in my past life life. If so I think I have done a pretty good job of opening my mind in this life :)

It takes a lot of courage to follow your own path when everyone else is telling you that you are wrong. You can't allow yourself to be pulled from pillow to post. People are always going to want something different from you. So instead of trying to juggle all of those plates, just juggle your own. The only one that really matters.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Homosexuality or same-sex, is ultimately a choice. For example, one can be forced to watch homosexual nonsense all day long, but in the end, it is one's choice to orient one's self to "believe" in homosexuality. If one wants to dig deeper into all this homosexuality hype and wanton use in mainstream media, it's truly about perpetuating disunion between the sexes, hindering people from self-governance, and population control - this is not conspiracy, it's been done for centuries in many societies and cultures, so don't knee-jerk against me about this fact because you may not have researched enough about this subject.

Nature is always present, but nurture, is a way to guide people to exist and survive against the perils of nature - there is no correct or incorrect way of nurture, it is the "neglect" of nurture that is wrong.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone who finds it a sin or "disgusting" will find a way to explain it away. I'd love to see your research though. So if I were to watch a whole day of girl on girl fun and didn't end up gay, it's because I chose to not become gay... is that what you're saying? Or that I didn't become gay because ultimately, I don't "believe in gay"? LOL. You've got a lot of animals to explain this to as well.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Firstly, you cannot get anyone to believe in a sexual orientation to the point where they experience those pangs of attraction first as opposed to what society brands as the 'normal' sexual orientation, which is heterosexuality. Heterosexuality is just more common. That doesn't make it normal/natural and homosexuality unnatural/not normal. Not to the point where one has to be brainwashed into 'believing' in homosexuality anyway lol. It isn't a, 'If you don't believe in it, it has no power over you,' type of thing. It isn't voodoo.

I love the whole 'gayness is rife these days, and I don't want my kids seeing gay characters on TV because it'll make them gay,' bullshit, because it is SO easy to discredit. Take me and every other gay adult, for example. We grew up watching straight couples on TV, and seeing straight PDA in public, with absolutely NO representation of ourselves on TV or in public. It was very lonely, and scary, and in some respects I am still bitter about it. But after all of that straightness, heterosexuality still didn't rub off on me... or any of the others. That is because it was impossible for it to, because I was born this way. No one would choose to be gay. These days they might, because it is fashionable. But for the most part, I don't think that anyone would.

tumblr_m4jz9pn9qJ1qby61eo1_500.

#29Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it the same for everything though? If you are behind were you always behind? People have referred to me as a "late bloomer" though I have another word for myself but transgendered people seem to find it offensive (well at least one did he was an Aspergers kid so I guess that explains it).
    I do think maybe it could be. That's why I use the other term. I just didn't realize it until later.

I love gay guys I really do and I respect the rest of the community but one thing that disappoints me is they don't stick up for the bisexuals. That is why a lot of people who are bi don't come out of the closet. They are disrespected by both sides. It is sad.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I love my gay brothers too ;) There are a whole host of problems with straight people and gay people coming down hard on bisexuals. I have a couple of thoughts about bisexuals that may be considered a little biggoted. But i only direct them towards the girls who give real bisexual women a bad name. For guys who are bisexual, they usually get it from the gays and the straights too. In fact, it may even be worse than what bisexual girls get, which is really unfair. Not to mention that the media very rarely has a bisexual character say the words, 'I am bisexual.' Instead, it is always, 'I don't like labels,' or 'sexuality is fluid,' or 'I am between.'

I feel like bisexual erasure is definitely real.