Honeybees?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by kate23 • Oct 7, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone on here bee keep? You know, for honey or pollen or beeswax? It's something that I really want to do someday and I've been doing a bit of research to see how you keep honeybees and harvest the honey and things. Has anyone got any tips?

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I was hoping to read about how to get rid of them. They have made a hive on our children's window frame. They are a nuisance to say the least. We have children and pets at home, my dog often gets stung by those bees. I have called pest control to remove them twice, but the bees always come back. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Help....

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I actually know nothing about keeping bees but I did find a really good website for beginners that may be of interest to you. Here's the link:

. It seemed like a really good place to learn more about beekeeping so I hope that it helps you out.

You can try using lavendar oil or scents to deter them from coming around. I learned about using lavendar oil on cotton balls to deter them from a guy who was constantly battling them when he barbequed. When we tried it out it did seem to help. If any did come into the area, they sure didn't stay very long. Apparently, bees and wasps (and other bugs) hate the smell of lavendar.

#3Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Try sticking fabric softener sheets on the windows. It worked for me one summer.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that tip. I have some good lavender oil here. I will try it in the morning when the isibility is better and report back to you. This is a huge hive about 8-9 inches long and it is growing.

@gina, Thanks.
    Fabric softener sheets.. I will try them out too - if I can get hold of some.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That's a pretty large hive, I didn't realize it was that big. Are you certain that it is a honey bee hive? One that large may be a hornet or wasp nest and you may need to take a different approach. We have a lot of yellow jackets in our area. Their nests look like a honecomb:
    [​IMG]
    I suspect it may be a hornet's nest. They look more like this:
    hornet%20nest%20on%20house.preview.
    Either type can be highly agressive and you will need to take extra precautions in dealing with getting rid of them yourself.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest giving them a new home. Someone my mother knows has bees living in a column on the front porch. A beekeeper came and relocated them and they came back. If there are trees outside your home you could try putting up a bee house. This ones is pretty cool: