Horrified once you were on the inside?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Apr 9, 2013.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend told me this story where his cousin who worked in a retail shop in a mall would do something so that the customer's purchase goes undetected and he gets to keep the money. I just forgot how he does it. But this shady practice is not against a company though, it's against an employee.

But a former pharmaceuticaI employee said on national radio (the radio show's topic was unethical company practices) that drugstores in our country sell drugs way past their expiration date. That's quite unscrupulous of them.

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I once worked as an IT consultant for a supermarket that sold in big packs, rather like a wholesaler. When I started, I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about how supermarkets operated. When I was inside, I was intrigued by how the cashiers were cheating the company. These are mainly schoolchildren working on their holidays but I was really surprised at how they got away with it. I was in charge of the computerized checkout system. Yet, despite close supervision, these kids somehow managed to get away with it. Actually I wasn't horrified. Rather I was astounded by the ingenuity of the kids.

3. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I work for a large hotel chain. And some of the practices or lack of practices are very disgusting. For one thing the duvets or comforters that people use on their beds are filthy. We do not have the time nor the staff to wash those things very often. And when I say not that often, I mean they may get washed once a year. And the coffe pots in the rooms do not get cleaned properly either. If I was you, next time you go in a hotel do not use the coffee maker. Sometimes the same dirty rag used for cleaning may get used over and over in different rooms. So be careful when you sit down on the toilet. And if the hotel offers you a free continental breakfast. Be careful of where and how the food was handled.

4. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

The Health Inspector thing is surprising. I know some of them are paid off or do favors for old friends by skipping a full inspection on so called "bad days". But a bottle of wine? Really? That's all it takes? Also the cockroach thing...*shudders*.

5. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

THAT IS HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING AND SAD! Hotels costs a fortune for the chain ones and they're using comforters washed once a year?????????????????? With so many people coming in and out? The toilet thing is frightening as well. I mean.....you'd at least expect that thing to be clean. And so I guess the rag used for the toilet sometimes ends up being used outside the bathroom as well? *DIES*. I never eat the Continental Breakfast by the way but thanks for the warning anyways lol!

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

So were they stealing money or stealing items? I live by a wholesale place where sodas, and related items get sent out in bulk. I always wonder how much of those 12 and 20 packs end up being sold on the street or taken to someones home to be sold or drank by their friends and families.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

My mom called me a few weeks ago and said she came across some headache tablets or headache pills that were past due date at CVS pharmacy. I really didn't think much of it until she told me it was like a month past due. I think that's insane because if your pills on on the shelf for that many years? You must not get good business there. But also, you can imagine how old the candy must be.

8. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Oh my goodness! I don't think anyone can top that horrifying job experience! :p

One of my first jobs was working at a day care for a friend. I actually enjoyed taking care of the kids. In fact, I felt bad for them. I was in charge of the two year old room. We were boxed in a small 8x10 room with two half walls. We did not have one piece of furniture, not one! Not even a single chair for the kids to sit. How could something like that even pass inspection? I was shocked that parents even left their children in a place like that. The job didn't last long and neither did our friendship.

9. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    They were definitely stealing money because everyday, the total in the kitty never matched the printout from the cash registers. They might be stealing items, too, but we didn't do a daily stock check so we never really knew.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I definitely don't think the bottle of wine was the whole payoff. There was probably checks or cash, but the bottle of wine was the obvious thing I saw in his hand. Maybe his wallet had more money in it after his non-inspection and I just didn't see it.

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Well college kids some studies have shown don't feel too bad about stealing. They equate it with their financial situation of being in college. Which means being broke because mom and dad are paying tuition. So they might swipe from their jobs, or swipe something from a bakery row when no ones looking. Or sell weed just to have some extra spending money. I went to college locally so I never had those problems.

12. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Could've been. Some people have low standards. Sadly, in some places in America. A bottle of jack or some free drugs could get some people to do a break-in or commit arson. It's all about need and "the moment".

13. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I've worked at fast food places and my mother's worked in retail and fast food, so nothing's really too shocking to me now. At first, I was surprised about a few things, but the fast food place I worked at was relatively harmless and clean. I was more horrified of the customers than anything else, to be honest! xD

14. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Fast Food customers mostly freak out I've found when the menus are wrong or sales are wrong. You'd be surprised how many chains advertise sales on items. But when you go there to buy the item, they say "our", as in..."our old navy" or "our burger king", or our "cvs" doesn't have that sale. Sometimes, sales depend on where you live. Just because Pathmark advertises a sale on 2 liter Pepsi's, doesn't mean YOUR LOCAL PATHMARK is running that sale. It could be the one an hour from you.

15. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    My parents used to own a small restaurant while I was a kid and while they were diligent in their work, I can't really say the same for the cooks and other staff. They'd drop stuff on the floor and just pick it up and put it on the plate, or take a dump and go straight in the kitchen without washing their hands or anything. Ugh, whenever I remember about that it puts me off of restaurant food for a while.

16. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    AHHHHH! I hope your parents kept a list and fired them! It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry goes into the bathroom and runs into the cook in the restroom who is preparing the food for him and his date. After the cook flushes, and comes out of the stall. He chats with Jerry a bit. Then he pats him on the shoulder, and walks out! Seconds later, Jerry realizes he didn't wash!

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    No I have never been horrified by things like this at any job, but I have been horrified by the way that an employer treated employees at a warehouse job I had - some people in the same position got paid a lot less even tho their job performance was as good as the rest of us! I have never worked in retail or at a big chain restaurant tho. I have worked at delis in the past, but they were all run very well and they were privately owned.

I can only imagine what these chain restaurants do and what they really use! As for Walmart, nothing surprises me anymore there.

18. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is so true. I also work for a large hotel chain, however, it is privately owned. The owner is very meticulous about the cleanliness of the entire hotel but there are some things you cannot take care of due to time. The bed spreads are a huge issue for me too because it is impossible for them to be washed after every stay. It may change soon since corporate is doing away with the bed spread and adding a more 'clean' coverlet, mainly just layers of white sheets with a thick spread in between.

Even though we attract a more distinguished clientele, we still have several guests that come for, errrmmm quickies, if you will, and they do not do their thing after the bed covers have been pulled down. So, yeah, that gives you an idea of what the bed spreads go through. :eek:

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    The thing is about these companies is that they're 100% legal! They probably do illegal things as well, but they only teach you about the legal things in training, haha! It's like these products are deliberately designed to not be worth anything to the customer, just to make money for the company, and everyone except the customer knows it.

20. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Just like cigarettes, fast food, and booze really. For people who can't control themselves or their intake, disaster is assured. Of course, the companies don't care. Just so long as they keep buying their product until they hit the grave.