Horrified once you were on the inside?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Apr 9, 2013.

1. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    Lol I was actually thinking of that very same episode when I was writing the first comment.
    While my parents were strict with their workers, they couldn't be there all the time, so they did some frivolous things. I've seen them a few times, but when I said I was a kid, I mean it, I was no older than 10 when they sold the restaurant, and back then I didn't realize it was so wrong, so I never thought to make a question out of it. Now that I reflect on it, though. EWW!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Working in a restaurant can be very sickening. To see how the food is handled, see who cooked the food, what they look like and whether or not they are clean touching your food can make you not want to eat every again. I worked in a winery in California, I loved rose red wine when I started working there. Every day to get to my office I had to work through the brewing section smelling the wine being made. It get to be too much, the odor just made me sick of the stomach. I have not had a glass of rose wine since.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

LOL What? Maybe you should turn some of that remaining "evidence" over to these guys wives at home. After the divorce proceedings, they might not be able to afford using your hotel services anytime in the near future. And with no more "quickies"...the hotel rooms stay cleaner. Hence, problem solved!

4. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    HAHA! It is crazy what some people will do. Most are white collar cash paying customers and they actually think we have no idea what they're doing. They have no problem dropping a hundred or so for two hours! It is very hard to keep a straight face when they check in or out. You can seriously create a reality show working at a hotel.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I had a friend work at a old McDonald, who let me into some stuff that happened backstage. Let's just say i stopped eating there... and anywhere with that brand. Well, at least he said that the ice-cream is okay, so at least i have that. I sure love a McFlurry with M&M's!

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

I've never heard of a restaurant chain called Old McDonald. I guess that's why?

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think sometimes people do nasty things in foodservice out of spite. At the Jewish deli I mentioned before, one of the waitresses took a frilly toothpick out of a corned beef sandwich, picked her teeth with it, and then stuck it back into the sandwich. Now you know she could have gone into the kitchen and taken a toothpick out of the big box of toothpicks, but I think she used the customer's toothpick to be a spiteful female dog.

8. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Food service is a rough job but I think if you know yourself very well or well enough. You know what jobs you should and shouldn't take. If you're spiteful, mean, or vengeful. You'd make a bad food service worker, server, cop, firefighter, EMT, or nurse and or doctor. And if you think that by taking these jobs, you'd be challenging your quote unquote "dark side"...none of those occupations are fertile ground for social experiment testing.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you're very right about this.
    I have even noticed that many people are starting to go to the gym more or just starting to go for their first time in th second year. Fast food is all over the place so vegetables and salads are very overlooked by people.

10. cmilliken

cmillikenMember

Threads:
    I used to work at McDonald's for a summer job when I was a teenager. When frying the burgers, we had to marinate them in this gross, foul-smelling purple liquid. I never knew what it was, but I never eat there based on that experience. I hope they still do not do that.

11. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I worked as a temp worker at Sears many years ago, when they were redoing their stores and logo. I was shocked at some of the conversations I overheard of salesmen in the appliances department. They talked about how to push certain appliances onto the old women customers and also how if they bring things back claiming something's wrong, then simply swap it with another unit that someone else brought back.

They also put refurbished electronics units on display to sell at a discount, not because they were refurbished, but because they were "display" models. Of course, you wouldn't expect a display model to have been purchased, used, and fixed before ending up on display!

It's been many years since then, and I haven't been back into a Sears, since. Hopefully, they're a better store these days.

12. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

More like a non-existent store these days. Sears isn't around that much anymore. And it's probably because of stuff like this as to why. The only thing I ever bought from Sears was a microwave and a CD Walkman. Both served me well for a long time.

I think whatever that liquid is, is what keeps the burgers from ever getting old or stale. There was an exposay on McDonalds food a few years back, and how the burgers can stay like they are for years. No rotting, or spoiling. Must be that liquid that keeps them from fading over time.

13. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I worked at Walmart for awhile and it is so wasteful of them to throw out the amount of food that they do. There was nothing wrong with it and it could have easily been donated to the food pantry to feed needy families in town. They would just throw it in the trash. People that do stupid things like that just make me sick especially when there are hungry people in the world.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a feeling that Walmart threw out food because I saw a dumpster diving video on Youtube where a freegan found all kinds of merchandise in a Walmart dumpster. That's depressing because there are needy people right here in the US that go hungry.

This is why I defend dumpster divers when people talk smack about them. Freegans are just trying to salvage good things that companies are wasting, before they go to the dump.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm curious about this. I also have my life and health license, but that isn't my experience. I still work part time as an agent. I work with a mutual company. The policyholders are the owners. There are no stockholders to appease.

I have worked for health insurance companies on the administration side. That was soul sucking experience.

16. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I remember working at McDonald's as my first job. I realize that you have to be very careful working there. I almost slip and fell in there by fry grease. I recall my brother who worked there too said he saw a roach crawling on the floor. How disgusting.

17. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    A singular roach is gonna happen anywhere I imagine. Roaches have been around for like since the beginning of the earth. Same as rodents. Greasy floors is another thing. That's a workers comp suit waiting to happen if someone takes a bad spill.

18. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been on tours on local grocery stores, or stores like target, walmart, but after reading through the thread, I learned a lot more about the industry.
    I knew that they have been upping prices but seeing the different things they do in restaurants are just pure disgusting.
    There is no way to see what they do to your food unless you actually go to the kitchen and check for yourself.
    If you have a complaint about the food, they will just take it away, spit in it, and then serve it to you.

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    That's why I don't go to restaurants often outside of maybe the brand ones like Applebees, Chili's, etc. If you order something you know they can't screw up you're good. But those other more fancy restaurants, they could care less about you unless you're a big client who patronizes there often. If you're just on a date, then they won't bother offering good service since it's highly unlikely they'll ever see you again.

20. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Wow..that's kinda..prejudicial. But I guess they're just trying to be safe.