Hostels versus Hotels

Discussion in Travel started by Esperahol • May 21, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I know that everyone likes a good deal, but there comes a point where you have to decide on how much quality means to you. I have stayed in both hostels (every college student should take an out of country trip) and hotels (I did a lot of traveling). The good thing about hostels is that they are cheap and you get to meet alot of people you might not otherwise, unfortunately I don't like bunk beds or sharing bathrooms with possible slobs. I also have had some issues with the overall level of filth and grime in some of them although most make a point of having guests clean up after themselves.

As for hotels that can be a really mixed bag, but generally you can expect a clean room with a private bathroom and no roommates (unless you brought them). There are also things like the quality of the beds and having things like televisions, ironing boards, a possible breakfast, and how distant the place is from everything else. The cost will generally be more (sometimes quite alot more) then a hostel, but I usually find it worth it if I have the choice.

So for those of you who have had experience with these two things which do you prefer?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a hotel. I stayed at a hostel once, but I wouldn't do it again. It really something for young people. It's also a great way to meet other travels from all over the world. I prefer a hotel with a private room and bath. Fresh clean towels and having the maid make the bed. I love coming back to the hotel room to find it all neat and clean. Maid are really under appreciated.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I did hostels when I was in my early 20s, but now I don't think I could ever do it. I did it when I was young and adventurous and only needed somewhere to rest after I hit up the bars. I was too inerbriated to even care. Now I want a clean and private hotel. I am willing to dish out the extra dough.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In South Korea, I would sometimes stay at something that I think was a hostel. Basically, it had only a mat on the floor for sleeping and there was a community shower. Anyway, it was less than half the price of a love hotel.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we started traveling abroad in 2012, my wife and I preferred cheap hotels. We travel at least 3 times a year so we had a good experience with hostels. I'd say the hotel is worth the cost because when you are on a holiday, you should enjoy your trip to the fullest and one enjoyment is the accommodation. How about a 5-star hotel with all the accommodations including a buffet breakfast, swimming pool, spa and massage? And that's all for only $100 a night. It's a steal.

6. LesY

LesYMember

Threads:
    For me it depends on where I'm going, in my case I found that some hostels in Japan, South Korea and Germany were super nice and still cheap. Also, if you do not want to share a room with someone you can ask for a private room which gives you the privacy, but still allows you to be on a budget, plus some hostels have really nice bars and decorations.

For me hostels will be the best choice if I want to explore the city where I am or meet people and Hotels if I'm more in the mood of just relax and go to the beach or if I have a family reunion or something like that.

7. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I did hostels all the days of my university life, even though it was fun, I don't ever want to do it again. I would prefer the privacy of a hotel, the clean bed, tub and every other comfort it provides.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer hotel, although I have no problem with a hostel. However, I think the place will influence a lot in my choice. So, I'm very OK with both options. I basically just go to sleep, take a shower and change clothes.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have sometimes stayed at YMCA hostels in different cities but only when I was on a work trip and wanted to stay in that city for one or two days. YMCA provides good facilities at almost no cost to boarders but the only problem is that they do not provide any dining facility including tea or coffee. I prefer hotels to hostel anyways since my company pays all my bills.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Hostels are cheaper compared to hotels. However, hostels are not for everyone. If you have a companion, or even family with kids, hostel is not the right place to stay. If you love privacy, and do not want to share your room, hostel is not for you. You pay more for hotels, however, you get better service compared to hostel. I don't like crowd, therefore, I stay in hotels.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    That's true but if you're alone then it could be an incredibly wise decision, assuming you do a lot of traveling. For instance, in South Korea, I'd travel to Seoul every weekend. In that case, the hotel bills would add up. So, while it's fun to stay at a hotel, I have to be realistic.

12. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I like talking and reading the discussion which grabd the attention of others.