Hotel rooms limits

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought a couple of hotel rooms from online promotions saying: "Two adults and a child". It happens I have two kids lol, so when calling to their reservation number they say they can't allow an extra child for the same rate. Contacting the hotel directly they are more flexible and you can use the argument (true many times) that the next door hotel will do it if they don't. Just try it and save some money. :)

2. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    That, s big problem for the parents who want to go to the tour but hotels plays an unsatisfying role but I have wished that type of issue is also clear in the hotel for the visitor..

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really think that's silly to limit it to only one child, so for me personally, I probably wouldn't even bother to tell them that there are two kids. I would probably try to negotiate if I had 3+ kids, but 2? Nah!

4. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    That's good advice. I've also found that if you just show up with two kids and don't mention anything different they don't seem to care. Your mileage might vary on that one for sure, but it's always worked for me.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, I thought about doing that and if I went alone with the kids I'd do it, but the issue is the wife wants everything legal haha, she doesn't want the embarrassment of being in the lobby of an hotel and being questioned about the number of kids the room is supposed to have, if you know what I mean.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the hint. I find that in most cases where you get directly in touch with a hotel, you will get someone sympathetic and flexible. After all, it's in the interest of the hotel to attract customers that will pay and also return again. Hotels don't want any bad publicity. A hotel's main business is to cater for people and make them comfortable.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    If I encountered this problem at a hotel I'd simply walk out. Hopefully they'd try to save the transaction by waiving the rule. If not, their loss. I'll go somewhere else. Why do they even need to know how many kids are staying? The difference between 1 or 2 seems negligible. I wouldn't even mention it.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really heard that before. Usually, all you do is ask for one of those fold-out beds to be placed in the room for another place to sleep. I mean there's obvious fire safety rules about how many people can be in a room, but I've never experienced a hotel actually limiting how many people can sleep in a room as long as it's below the fire code.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I guess that's understandable.

Then again, just how often do you expect to have everyone in the lobby? It only takes one person to check in or out so it's not really necessary to have them in there.

The only exception is if there's a continental breakfast involved, I suppose. What is the charge for having one additional child to the room?

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the hotel and I can't recall the value right now, but considering it was a promotion the price for the additional kid was an absurd that totally blasted the promotion price. Luckily they were reasonable and allowed us in, my kids don't eat that much at breakfast... :)

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Hotels have ridiculous rules that make no sense. I know a number of families who never went on vacation because they had 3 children and no one would let them have the third child on the floor, they said only 4 people to the room no matter what, so they could not go. It is too expensive for so many families to get two rooms, so with silly rules like this, they miss out on the whole vacation opportunity, and the hotel misses out on business.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We always have issues with hotels when we try and go as a family. Granted, we have a big family of 6, so it's a little more difficult to fit us all in. :) I have done the same as you... if I get an online deal like with Groupon the rules are kind of set in stone according to how the hotel actually has it set up with Groupon. I have called the hotel itself many times and they always allow for some slight changes. That way I can still get the great deal online but still be able to fit us all at the same time without paying a fortune!!!!!

Love to save money!!! :)

Danyel :)

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, with a family of six Danyel I can't even imagine how you do it. How old are your kids? Most likely you have to book two rooms and split 3 to each room. A big expense to have afamily of six, you guys need to have an awesome job. :)