Hotel vs Hostel

Discussion in Travel started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 4, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Both have their own advantages.

Hotels have more privacy, are often higher quality and often offer much better services such as a great breakfast, lunch and dinner, laundry service, room service etc. Hostels are usually the cheaper option but have many conveniences, such as easily meeting new people, having a large kitchen available for making your own food, and most hostels also have a much better choice of activities than hotels. The last hostel I was in had cheaper tickets to popular sights, free walk around the city tours leaving daily, a lot of different maps and brochures at the reception and a good selection of usefull items being sold right there at the reception, for a competitive price.

Out of the two, hostels are almost always cheaper and if you manage to find a good quality one you can easily have a great time without spending a lot of money. Due to this I prefer using hostels when traveling alone. Which one do you prefer and why?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer hotels I feel that its a more comfortable experience. Because I am uncomfortable with idea of sharing with strangers, especially when it came down to sleeping. I like things clean and tidy aswell and having to consider others habits and pattern is not what I want to do on holiday. I want to be at liberty to do what I want when I want. Also I know my friends or family wouldn't like the idea.

#2Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hostels are way cheaper as you say so they are the best option for younger people and people that don't care too much about privacy. But if you're traveling with kids or if you want some intimate moments you can forget the hostel, it's a really impossible situation.

4. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Whenever I travel, I search in advance for nice hostels with good reviews and that's where I like to stay. I don't like spending too much money for a bed that I only use a few hours at night. It's trickyer if you travel as a couple as you might want tome intimacy and not a bathroom for the entire floor, but it's not impossible to manage.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, they serve for very different purposes. Of course, they both obviously I meant for you to stay at when you're traveling or in a business meeting trip, but a hotel is where usually stay at if you are not so young anymore, if you're traveling with family, if you're not on a tight budget or in general in a trip... people choose hotels more often than hostels. To me staying in a hostel is great when you're young, traveling alone or with friends your age and want to have fun, meet new people, party, and do alll that on a tight budget. Last time I traveled I was by myself, on a budget and I stayed at a hostel. It was a great experience I met a lot of new people and I had a lot of fun. I think it's totally worth it.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My choice depends on a few factors. First, where I travel and how much time I'm gonna spend there. If I'm staying for a few days and plan on just hitting the bars and go sight seeing it means that I won't sleep that much. In this case there's no point in spending good money on a hotel room and I chose a hostel. Second point. If I'm traveling with my family it's a sure thing that we're not going to stay at a hostel. We need space and other accommodations so we chose a hotel.

Honestly, if you go someplace with a purpose, like job stuff, you're gonna stay in hotels. Hostels were a thing of my youth if I think about it.