Hotpockets & Similar Products

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 26, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Just got to taste hot pockets for the first time, or at least the first time in a very very long time, and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed even though I wasn't really expecting much. I don't think it's terrible, and I'd even say it's alright, but it's just not my taste at all. The crust is too thick for me and the filling which was barbecue beef was too pronounced and it tasted a bit artificial to me. I think next time I will just use the money for ramen instead or maybe if you guys have any other similar products to recommend I'd try out those.

Do you guys like hot pockets? Which flavor do you like most? Do you have any other cheaper or better alternatives?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to live off of these things when I first moved out. My grocery stores would always sell the large cases of them at a really good price, so I would get those to take care of my lunch for each week. It was much cheaper to bring one of those to work, at under $1 each than to go out for fast food, or to even make sandwiches at home. My favorites were the chicken parmigiana and the meatball ones. I would usually get the Lean Pockets just to eat a little healthier. Sometimes I would have them along with a bag of Sun Chips and a diet soda for lunch.

They have been changing up their crusts quite a bit over the years, the original ones used to have a really bland, and somewhat thin crust. Then they made them a bit thicker, and at some point, started adding herbs and stuff into the dough or on the outside of it, which I didn't care for too much.

I would love to learn how to make something like these at home though, but I don't know where I would find a recipe for the crust they use on them.

3. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't like those hot pockets anymore because they are not healthy and there was news about the steak and cheese being recalled due to tainted meat. I did eat hot pockets a long time ago and the one I liked the most was the pepperoni pizza. I could easily make homemade hot pockets at home that are delicious and so much healthier. A better alternative would be to buy the pizza dough, cheese, sauce, pepperoni, and whatever else you would like in your homemade hot pocket. A person can get everything for this recipe at Walmart which always has low prices so it won't be expensive at all.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    lol @ You believing hot pockets would be delicious after so many years. You could have had one in the freezer for all that time & it would have tasted exactly the same. I think

did a segment (episode really) recently on how easy (& much healthier it is) to make your own hot pockets.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of most freezer convenience foods. They all taste like cardboard garbage to me. I like to take the time to make my own homemade burritos and such and wrap them individually. My family can then grab these and take them on the go, knowing that they are nutritious and will taste good.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Wasn't there a reviewer of freezer food on YouTube that gave up while filming an episode of his show? If I'm not mistaken it was called Freezer Burn. He was so disgusted & fed up with the ingredients of the things he was 'reviewing' that he gave up.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think all freezer foods are bad, it really depends on the brand that you buy. Obviously those breaded Banquet chicken nuggets are nothing but corn filler and other chemicals. My folks bought a giant tray of Encore brand mac & cheese and the sauce literally just tasted like some corn starch and water, it was so awful. But brands like Lean Cuisine are relatively healthy and sometimes they can be a good alternative if money is tight and you want a variety of meals without having to go out and buy all the ingredients separately. For example, their Rigatoni with Turkey Meatballs is really good, and it also has orange and yellow carrots in the tomato sauce for extra nutrition, in addition to being low in salt, low in fat, and reasonable in overall calories. I can't imagine something like a Broccoli and Cheese Lean Pocket being *that* bad for you if you're not a fan of their meat varieties. It's just a crackery type crust with some low fat cheese and frozen broccoli.

8. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I never tasted once, but I bought them for my teenager as he needs something fast when he gets home from school, and has to run to soccer practice shortly after. I don't think they are all bad as long as you are being moderate in consuming it.