House maid: a luxury?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had a house maid in my house, simply because I can't afford one. My parents always had one, I guess they live well and can pay for her. What's your case, do you have one or do you feel it's a luxury you can't afford?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Most things that you can theoretically do on your own is a bit of a luxury. The people that have maids in and of themselves have the luxury to even consider having one. Or, they are in a physical situation where they don't have a choice, but to pay someone to help them around the house. I am going to get someone else to clean my carpet, even though I could do it myself. Not necessarily a luxury, but a matter of I simply don't want to do it. That is just more of my time and energy than I am willing to give.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would consider a maid to be a luxury. I'm a fairly clean person so I can't imagine needing a maid unless I became wealthy and my time became for valuable.

I do agree with Sugarhill...I would definitely get someone to clean my carpet. I could do it myself, but it's too much of a hassle. It's just easier to pay someone to clean it.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having a cleaning person come in to help with the housework is useful, especially for busy people, so I don't think it's frivolous.
    But it is a luxury that most everyday people can't afford. As a single mom, it would be great to have help with housework. But since I can't afford to hire anyone, I just pester my daughter to do chores.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is a luxury, I have friends who have cleaners but they can afford it and they work full time so it saves them time. I also have a friend who has a cleaner but also does it herself as she prefers it the way she does it.

There was a point I could afford one, but I prefer to do it myself so I know it's done properly and I have trust issues if things are moved. I did pay someone to clean once and checked everywhere as I was paranoid and they did skip places I would have cleaned, so I ended up re cleaning!
    Even if I was busy, I make time to clean as it's my mess and I should do it.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think a maid is a luxury. Even if I could afford one I have no need for one and to be honest I don't like the idea of a stranger snooping round and doing things that I can do myself. My house is clean so I don't need one. I can think of better things to spend my money on. If I had a mansion and large family then perhaps I would consider it but to be honest I like cleaning. I get the tunes on and just sing and dance as I go have fun with it. When I'm finished the reward is a beautiful clean home.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I can understand why some people would have one. If someone earned a very high hourly wage and was very busy, it wouldn't make sense to spend hours doing housework when they could use that time for work. In that case I would see it more as a smart business or financial decision than a luxury. Or if it's a senior or disabled person that can afford it, and their health doesn't let them do all the house work then it makes sense to pay a maid in order to live more comfortable. But I say if there are any adults in the household that have the time and physical ability to do the work, then it is a luxury.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I wouldn't be able to afford it but if I could afford it I would make the effort to budget in a maid service to come in maybe once a week or even every other week because it really can be time consuming to keep a house tidy. I guess yes, having a maid is a luxury, for me anyway.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a cleaner that comes here every week or two. It's not a huge deal, but I handle the cleaning of my living space on my own, and the cleaner doesn't touch those areas. I'm not so lazy that I can't clean my own living space, and I wouldn't pay for a cleaner myself whether I had the money to or not. I find it more of a hassle letting someone else take care of your home than it is to just do the work yourself.

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Even if I had the money to spend on hiring I still wouldn't do it. Right now I'm living in a small flat and even in the case that I'll become filthy rich I'll continue using smaller places, I like them a lot. And with a smaller place the need of a maid goes down drastically, right now I can clean everything in half an hour. Plus, I find cleaning quite fun and good as an exercise.

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    If hiring someone to help with the cleaning allows you to work longer and make more money, it's not a luxury. It is a good strategy. If you can do it yourself without interfering with the rest of your life, it is a luxury. I could certainly use one, but I'd like a robot maid like on the Jetson's so I wouldn't fear judgment for my slovenliness.

12. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely say hiring a house maid would be a luxary choice alone. I can barely afford my lunch, let alone the payment to clean my horrid mess of a home. I would love to be able to afford one. My place could sure use the cleaning. Due to my allergies, it's difficult for me to use several cleaning products so a house maid would be very, very useful.

13. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    My family in the Philippines has house maids. I get confused sometimes when I am there visiting and I am washing my own plate and then the maids look scared since I did it. I told them to not worry, I wanted to do it since I am use to it.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's fairly common here so we used to have one, but eventually after getting tired of hiring the wrong ones each time we gave up and just went along without one, and I have to say it's not so bad. It's definitely a lot more challenging to have to do everything on our own but the payoff of not having another person to worry about is a great payoff. Also, personally, I like the privacy a whole lot more than the trade off of having help in house chores.

15. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    In my current status I cannot afford a house maid as my income is just enough for myself. I do not know if I could ever afford one but I would love to have one. I think it is really a luxury and people who can afford them are quite lucky and well- off. My parents also never had a house maid.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read some disturbing news stories online recently about housemaids murdering their employers. Since such things happen, how would you know the person you've hired isn't a psycho?

Anyway, sometimes you might need to hire someone to help around the house because you work late every day. Most people who own businesses tend to work longer than someone with a regular 9:00 — 5:00 job. For such people a house-maid isn't a luxury.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, the only who can afford to have housemaids are those who are in the upperclass. Generally, I do not understand why small households need housemaids because there are only a few things to keep or do there.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For some it is, but there are people who earn so much that they could afford having a housemaid and at the same time don't have time for themselves to clean their house dirt, the clutters, those people who are really busy. If they don't have time to do what housemaids are supposed to do, then it's not really a luxury. But if one has a lot of time to do house chores , but still opted to have a housemaid, then it's a luxury, given the price that you'd have to pay for their services.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have a maid when I was young, since both of my parents were working, so the maid worked as a nanny and maid at the same time. Right now, I still live with my dad, but when I move out I don't think I would want to hire one even if I could afford it (their salary starts from $75 monthly) so that I can save money. I would consider hiring a cook though, since I don't know how to cook.

20. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Having a house maid is to an extent a luxury, but may be only a form of additional help in the home, much like that of having children and paying them to do work, or giving them a stipend on the weekends, If you employ a house maid and the house maid is well paid, obviously, your home is big and the work that it would take to keep the house clean would need to be backed by a significant amount of money, but say you live in a moderate or a small house, and you have a maid, I wouldn't say that that is absolute luxury, it's just that you decide to have one, because you are either to busy to clean or you have the spare change to employ someone to clean, luxury is a strict term although it may be compared to different situations fairly and squarely.