Hover Boards

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by gracer • Jan 24, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Hover Boards are a thing right now with teenagers in our area. Despite the high price, they still opt to get one even if it means having to sacrifice their school allowance just to get one. However, there are also many safety concerns coming out from different parts of the world regarding the sudden blowing up of the gadget during charging time. Some countries have even banned the sales of Hover boards in their stores.

I wonder if safety when it comes to use of Hover Boards is also a concern in your area. Would you consider buying one for yourself or for your kids?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard much about them. I have just seen videos of people falling and crashing off of them. I had no idea that they were dangerous enough to be banned though! Do you know which countries? I haven't actually seen anyone around here with them, but if I had kids they would not be getting one nor would I. I like my bones unbroken and skin unscraped. lol

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is how serious things are:

And Amazon is not only withdrawing sale of hoverboards from their stores, they are also offering to refund money to hoverboard owners who return the devices. They definitely aren't something I'd buy anyone even if they can be obtained elsewhere.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've only recently started hearing about these hoverboards and I have to say I'm not surprised at how much they have exploded all over the world. They do look very funky and fun. However, given the number of accidents I've heard reported, I'd rather not. I wouldn't buy myself or anyone else one.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen them about, here and there. Never in person though. I have only ever seen celebrities using them, or seen them on Youtube. I did hear about a celebrity being stopped at the airport, or detained at an airport, for using his hover board. Apparently it was some sort of security risk, but after reading this thread, I can see why.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an issue here where a priest was on a hover board while saying the holy mass inside the church. The incident was captured in a video which went viral. From what I remember, that priest was reprimanded for uncalled for behavior during a mass and expect a suspension to follow. Being a popular toy or gadget, the hover board is getting lots of attention with mostly negative criticism on its use.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think hoverboards are cool and I like the ones with the LED lights that play music via Bluetooth. But as with any other new tech, there are bugs and design flaws that have to be worked out. I might get them for my daughter and I in a couple of years when the design has been improved and all the technical problems are resolved. They should have tested them better before releasing them to the public.

8. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    No, I would not be purchasing one for myself or my kids. First I'm afraid, I'll seriously hurt myself trying to balance myself on it, my kids might be better at that than me. Second, these boards have been catching on fire a lot lately and many places have banned them, so besides using it on your street or maybe a local park, where else can you use it? Hoverboards look cool and everything, but that price tag is crazy.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Well, knowing this issue with hover boards now, I won't be buying it for myself or for my son or for anyone really (except maybe my enemy). I think the safety issue is something that I cannot take lightly. It can injure my son and also the people around him. I'd rather buy him a bicycle, it can also be quite dangerous but with proper guidance and gears, I think he'll do fine.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Hoover Board is unsafe to adults as well as children. I would not take the chance of breaking a limb or even killing myself on one of those things. Trying to balance your self on something on wheels that has no way for you to control it is not a smart idea. People may see the Hoover Board as a faster skateboard but they are both dangerous as far as I am concerned.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You're right indeed! I would never want to break my bones and my skin either because of this newly released fad. :) I found this blog with the list of all the places which banned hover board sales whether in malls or online. You might want to check out if your area is included on the list:

LOL! I had a good laugh reading your post. Your enemy would feel lucky though because he/she received an expensive gift from you. ;) Anyway, I think bicycles are way better than hover boards, they've been here for a long time now, they're far cheaper and can be controlled purely by the person using them. I also like the idea of bicycles being linked to beautiful memories of one's childhood because almost every kid had experiences with them.

12. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer Thank you for the link! I can't believe so many places banned them. Well, I can. These segway wanna be's are really the new skate boards. We all remember all the skateboard accidents and how annoying they were when they become popular randomly. @Briannagodess@Briannagodess That is too funny! I almost spit my drink when you said you'd get one for your enemy.

13. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they've been banned where I live. Safety is certainly a concern, but then if you look at non-tech boards such as skateboard, I would argue that they are just as risky. But, you know, who can argue with the government man!

14. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    When I wrote the thread, I actually didn't know that a friend of mine bought a pair of these hover boards and has even shown pictures of her son and her husband using them. She's really a good friend of mine but sometimes I just couldn't help but question her family's practices and attitude towards life. They're the kind of people who are "thrill seekers", they go to dangerous places and try out dangerous things. I remember talking to her about a car brand which was being investigated in our area for sudden unintended acceleration never knowing that what they're actually using is the exact brand of car in question. She said her husband doesn't have plans of giving that car up despite all the recorded cases and he even plans of buying the newer version of that car. Pretty unbelievable for me.

15. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they're not alone. I know quite a few people who love this kind of thrill. Although I don't personally, but to each his own.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Incidentally, I had been working on a Hoverboard themed e-commerce site to promote as an Amazon Associate via their affiliate program, when all the bad news came out about them catching fire and being recalled/banned. That site has since been put on hold for now, lol.

From what I have been reading about them, the ones catching fire are primarily cheaper models being imported from China and other regions, which don't meet safety standards. So basically many Amazon vendors were ordering these cheap models on sites like Alibaba, then turning around and trying to cash in on the craze and sell them on Amazon for much more.

They were undercutting the higher quality brands made and sold here in the US, some of which do in fact meet various safety standards and are not having these issues.

Bottom line is, there are still some reputable brands out there, and if you're buying them from Amazon currently, most of what is listed should be the "safe" brands - since Amazon has been weeding out the unsafe models. But you should definitely do your due diligence when shopping for one, and make sure the model you are interested in meets various safety standards. You should also read through the reviews carefully for any known issues. Don't just shop for one that is the cheapest price and looks like the popular models.

17. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I've just watched a recent news about shopping malls and department stores in our area being reprimanded because the Hover Boards they are selling lack the safety standards and requirements for their sale in stores. Our local government here has been pondering on whether it should ban the sale of these gadgets but they are still on the process of monitoring them first before they could decide on its continued sales or banning them for good.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would consider it because I think they are a bit neat though I probably will just get tired of them as I have many ofpther similar products I've tried before. I also worry what I would do with them if I suddenly don't want to use them anymore, as I probably would just have to carry it around and it would be just added weight and effort for me. For the price I do to think I'd buy it. There are many more other things I'd much rather spend my money on.

19. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even see what people is seeing in the stuff. It's simply an electronic device that allows you to move from one point to another, and it costs a lot of money. It's not even an exact hover board because it doesn't even float in air and it still requires wheels. If it has the ability to levitate then it's gonna be a different story but it doesn't. I'd rather walk and save my money while exercising my legs at the same time than pay for this terrible product.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really the sporty type, so I have no interest in riding a bike, skateboard, or a hover board, so no potential danger for me. The fact that it's dangerous and expensive just makes it all the more not worth buying.