How Are Your Casette Tapes Doing In This Age Of Mp3's?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by sidney • Aug 3, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mine are just lying around in drawers gathering dust. How about yours? Do you still play them occasionally? Or have you sold them to make extra money? You'll never know who is looking for vintage stuff, right? Or have you given them away to friends or placed them in the thrash or in your front yard hoping someone will get them? The cassette player of my radio is broken already, so I haven't played them in the longest time. But I think I will just keep them for nostalgia's sake. How about you?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well, you would have to take a trip up to the dirty corner of the attic to find out. At least I think they are still there, unless the mice got to 'em. I am pretty sure that people have more than given up on them, though, and if not they must have some specific purpose for which to keep them around, but I am not sure. Interesting stuff, though, and thanks for sharing.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if you're a fan, for sure the tape booklet still has some "value" to it that the mp3 doesn't have. I remember seeing someone on Ebay selling a lot of her old cassette tapes. I wonder if someone bought them.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This cassette thing is getting scarier as days pass by. My husband writes songs and a majority of his songs are recorded in cassette tapes. He is slowly converting the tape music into digital for uploading to the computer. But since last week, he couldn't make the cassette player run, the volume seems to have a problem, getting soft and vanishing audio like it has a loose tread in the dial. There are about 100 songs still to be converted to digital. Now, what if the cassette player wouldn't run anymore? Those songs will be lost.

5. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, my parents used to listen to a lot of those cassette tapes, I really like them as well, it was such a funny thing to pull the tape out of the case, they used to beat me up because of that, however, I still remember the good old days, to be honest, those cassettes must be saved in a box around the house, we barely use CDs so you may imagine where those cassettes are right now.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think I only have one cassette tape left and that was the first one I ever got when I was a kid. Back in the 80s I loved Elvis and my mom bought me a tape. I really do not have CDS anymore, just purchase music for my iPad now.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had hundreds, but they got destroyed in storage a while ago. Along with my even bigger collection of CDs, my massive collection of vinyl and my small collection of 8 tracks passed onto me from my mother. Im a music nut..

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I no longer have my collection of cassette tapes with me. Some of them have been given out a long time ago while most of them have been destroyed from a long time of storage. The cassette strips either collected dust and mildew or have been eaten up by small insects. I'm just thankful that all the songs and albums on those cassette tapes are still very much available for download nowadays.

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Mine are just getting lost into oblivion inside a box somewhere. Sometimes I feel nostalgic and try to search for them, but I was not successful with my attempts. Is not like I really care for those old tech, most were just cheap pirated copies my parents bought at flea and black market.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Well now you've got me thinking - as I can't even remember when I got rid of all my cassette tapes let alone when I last owned a cassette player - it was that long ago.

However as a lifetime of frequently moving from one place to another has made me extremely minimalistic and also being someone who doesn't particularly like clutter either - meaning - I can't see much point in hanging onto things that aren't ever going to get used - I feel more than sure - as I switched over to listening to CDs in the mid 80's and then to my mp3 in the early 2000s - that it was probably at least 25 years ago that all my cassette tapes were disposed of.

11. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have almost 100 cassette tapes, and I'm actually really happy that I kept them because they will be worth a lot in the future. Plus they are memories, and I might not give them away. I have 2 big cassette tape cases and each hold 50, I have them stored deep in my closet.

I don't use them ever, it seems so irrelevant to do compared to new technology. Unless it's something like an old school party, they won't be coming out anytime soon.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, That's interesting. How does your husband convert his songs from his tape to digital files? Is this a new feature in the latest radios nowadays?

13. Corzhens

Threads:
    He has a cord that he connects the tape output to the mic input of the computer. When the cassette is played, the audio goes directly to the software that records the sound so the music is captured. However, he has another software to clean the audio of pollution. But most of the time, he just plays the cassette and uses the mic of the computer to record. It's not a clean version though, just for the demo.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, Wow, my cassette/CD tape deck doesn't have that. I guess that feature is now available in the latest brands of radios/CD players? And what software does your husband use to record the sound from the tape?

15. Corzhens

Threads:
    Our home desktop is running in Windows XP. My husband uses the Sound Recorder that comes with the Operating System which is in the menu. But I think there is a change in the setting so the audio from the tape will go directly to the sound recorder which is later saved into a folder. But lately he is not using the cord anymore because it gives a polluted audio. He said the cord is already worn out.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, I now see the Sound Recorder option, I also use Windows XP. I guess you just attach it to the speaker socket? The pink one right? Up until now I had no idea that you can transfer songs from the cassette to the PC, thanks for mentioning it.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no idea... I have cassettes at home, in a box, well hidden (don't even know where!). I wouldn't even have a device to listen to them in, so I wouldn't know if they are even working!

18. Burungu

BurunguNew Member

Threads:
    Mines are being kept in the cellar for storage. I don't have a tape deck anymore, so I can't play some of the good oldies anymore. And besides even if I did have a cassette player I would be very cautious playing those old tapes because they can get stuck much quicker. You must remember that you are dealing with out dated technology here.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Burungu@Burungu, True, I remember that tapes seem to get stuck every now and then in my cassette player, and I have no choice but to just cut that brown stuff to get the tape out, so the tape was wasted and can't be played anymore. I'm glad that technology has evolved so much nowadays.

20. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I used to have cassettes a couple years back but over the years I've either bought replacement cps or downloaded it off the internet. The ones I have are collecting dust and I've been considering throwing them away because it's so hard to find a working cassette player anymore.