How Bad Are Cheap Shoes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Sep 27, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I never can get this association of cheap with poor quality. Marketers have successfully managed to convince shoppers that the more expensive something is the better it is than an alternative that could be much cheaper. So I found this article about cheap shoes, how they'll cause the wearer foot problems. They'll have to learn to live with blisters and calluses.

While most low quality cheap shoes will obviously cause you foot problems one can buy cheap, decent footwear in lots of places.

Buy not into all the myths you hear. Some affiliate marketers simply want you to buy the most expensive shoes they promote so they can make some decent cash off each sell.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can see why this is not always accurate. I do like expensive, good quality leather shoes. But even their durability can be a little suspect. So I like to switch it up and mix it all up. I try to determine the level of comfort, and if I can marry that with aesthetic value and affordability. Both cheap and expensive shoes can be comfortable, durable and nice. What I don't like is a cheap pair of shoes that screams cheap, if you get my drift.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I agree about what it is your saying. When I was in school and down to this day, I buy my shoes from Payless. Guess what? No one complains about it at all. I have flat feet and there is a pair of shoes from Payless I always get for a good price. Poorly made shoes can come at any cost.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't think of cheap shoes that will give you blisters. I have some cheap shoes that have lasted longer than super expensive running shoes. I think it has to do with workmanship. Knowing the signs of a well crafted shoe will save you a lot of money. In reality, all of these shoes are coming from abroad anyway.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've bought some knock off sneakers before but this was way back when knock off sneakers were at the quality they are now. From what I understand, nowadays they are already very near the grade of their original or branded counterparts. I did get a lot of blisters with those fake shoes though so after that I just chose to stick with branded ones. Although, I didn't find it necessary to buy the expensive ones, since even the cheaper ones were already fairly good just as long as they were a somewhat reputable brand.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a terrible habit of buying a really cheap shoes. I say really bad because they are usually poor quality and will last me for a couple months. If I made an effort and bought high quality shoes you left me probably a year at least, which would mean I would save money in the long haul.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Well recently I went to Walmart where I found Dr. Scholl's footwear on sale for $7.00. None of them fit me, so I walked away disappointed. I love to window shop and found the next week that there was a pair of slip-ons for just $5. I love these slip-ons for they are so comfy and covered in the front. I always try to buy on sale or special prices and found they are comfy and no foot problems too. Maybe it's the style you buy. I saw at our annual Senior Fair Step Ahead footwear and they lean toward flats mostly. Guess you just got to wear something comfy instead of stylish. I'd not buy stilettos though they are so pretty when I see them on others.

8. Mr. Zhou

Mr. ZhouNew Member

Threads:
    Cheap shoes not only have bad quality but also cause foot odor.:D:D:D

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes cheap shoes catch my fancy especially during a big sale. One time, I bought a pair that is very cheap, costing just 10% of the regular price. My husband was teasing me that I should be careful in using it. The first time I wore that cheap pair was during a party. The second time was when we went to watch a movie. It was raining that time and the sole separated from the shoes. You can imagine the laughter of my husband.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some cheap shoes aren't good for you, but it depends on the style and also the quality of the sole. I have expensive shoes that have given me blisters and cut into my toes, and cheap shoes are no different. The main thing is to look at how thick and durable the sole is. Most are rubber and I always bend them to test them first.

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's better quality. I've gotten expensive shoes that didn't last as long as cheap ones. I always buy from WalMart if they have cute flats. Very cheap, and last me 2 years. It just depends on the quality of the shoe. Make sure they're durable. I'd rather buy cheap and have them last a long time.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    While cheap shoes are not automatically bad quality there's a very high chance they will be. I think doing research before you buy a pair of shoes is the best thing you could do. I got a $150 pair of dress shoes 5 years ago and they still look brand new.

There's a price threshold for quality items and once you go past that you get diminishing returns. Doing research on what you're buying ensures you get the best quality without overpaying.

13. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Cost will always be a major factor when I'm purchasing shoes but the overall craftsmanship of the shoes is the major deal breaker. I've had plenty of cheap shoes that were comfortable on my feet and lasted more than three years, and even when I grew out of them, they still held up well.

Not all cheap shoes are bad quality shoes. You just need to research and decide which brand, style, and fit works well for you.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a cheap pair of sandals that were good to walk in but they did make my feet smell bad because the shoes made my feet sweat.

15. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    This is a tricky situation because when you think of cheap, you do think of poor quality but is that always the case? I always tend to buy more "expensive" shoes due to thinking they'll last a lot longer and that's what usually happens. I have bought one pair of tan boots YEARS ago and they're almost brand new and comfortable. However, I have other slip on shoes that I have had for a little over a year now and they're almost bad enough to throw away. They're my favorite go-to shoes so I can't bring myself to trash them just yet. :( Shoe prices are mostly so outrageous that most people would want to buy "cheap" shoes because they don't want to pay $50+ for house shoes that probably won't last anyways. Expensive doesn't always mean better.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't speak for women's shoes, but for men's shoes, you can definitely feel a difference when going from shoes from stores such as Payless, to getting more expensive higher end brand name shoes.

When I was working as a server years ago, I tried shopping at Payless for my shoes, since they would take a beating working in a restaurant like that - with food and drinks and all kinds of other stuff getting all over them during the course of a shift. The soles would be covered in grease and food mushed into the grooves after a shift. I would literally have to run them under a hose in my utility sink each night to clean them off. While I didn't want to be dropping $100+ on some pair of lamb skin leather shoes that would be destroyed within a week, I also found it really painful to try and wear the cheaper shoes from Payless. They were often way too stiff, didn't have soles that contoured to my feet, and the soles themselves were just hard rubber and fake leather. I would literally have bruises all over my feet and ankles after a long shift, since the shoes were so stiff.

These days, since I am no longer working in restaurants and instead working in corporate environments I don't mind investing in a couple of nice pairs of dress shoes, because I know I will get my money's worth out of them and they will be far more comfortable.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think cheap shoes are not always bad, it depends on the way they are made. No name shoes that are well made will last as long as those branded ones, although obviously there are some shoes that will break shortly after you have started using it.

18. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I buy cheap shoes if these are the kind that I will only use for going out casually like going to the mall, park, dining-out, etc. I don't have any problems with these kind of cheap shoes because they serve me well and they do last for quite some time since I don't use them that often. When it comes to rubber shoes that I use for sports like running and tennis, I only buy original and expensive ones because they will last for a long time and it would be a great investment. Plus, they will not break easily unlike cheap ones that I have purchased some in the past.

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a mix of both inexpensive and more expensive shoes. I've found over the years that natural fabrics and fibers are my friend. They let your body/feet breathe, and so are less irritating, since sweat doesn't build up, and they also help with odors. Not everything high end is better made, and not everything inexpensive is low quality. Many designer products are made in the same countries as low quality products, but the prices are way higher, meaning the company pays about the same (for the most part) as the low end companies pay manufacturers/crafters, but ends up making a much higher profit.

I've learned over the years which products work best for me, and I tend to stick to them. I will sometimes splurge on inexpensive faddish items that I know I won't keep or wear for long, because the prices are low, and so it makes it worth it. I'll mix those in with my more expensive classically styled clothing, to update my look.

20. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Completely agree with the Payless assessment - some of the most comfortable shoes I own have been from Payless. I can't tell you anything technical about the quality of stitching or breathability, but I can tell you that they never hurt my feet and lasted several years. The type of foot the shoe is made for is what's important. Wide or narrow? Flat footed or high arch? If you find something that fits without hurting or causing blisters, you probably have a winner, no matter the cost.

The wife also swears by heels at Payless - says they're more comfortable than the expensive heels she's bought elsewhere.