How Bad Are Lenovo Laptops?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jul 12, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Looking around the net I saw some reviews which made me believe that Lenovo laptops are some of the best. But that was before I had to use one. The moment I did and wasn't impressed by it's performance, I had to look around online to see what I'd missed and that's when I found a lot of negative reviews.

For those of you who've used Lenovo laptops, what do you think of them? Does Lenovo make some of the worst laptops?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think they are the worst, but if you are looking around there are some better options in that price bracket. It's the same with other brands like Asus and Acer, they are mid-level and okay for short term use or for children, but not for daily work.

It also depends on what you are used to and sometimes people look at weight, memory and other factors rather than ease of use and reliability. I discovered that and now I would sacrifice weight for reliability and performance.

3. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    I have lenovo's laptop and it's just fine.
    I don't think it depend the company, each computer stands for itself.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had Lenovo laptops for the past several years - since around 2011, and I've had nothing but great experiences with them. Even their entry level laptops are much better quality than the entry level computers from Dell and HP, imo.

I once picked up a $350 HP laptop just to tide me over because my one and only computer at the time had died on me and I wasn't ready to shell out a couple thousand for a workstation just yet. It was built so cheaply the casing itself would literally bend with just the slightest pressure from your finger - I've seen styrofoam food containers that were more sturdy than that. Plus within minutes of using it the fan started running hard, and loud like a jet engine. It was so loud and distracting I couldn't even hear any Youtube videos while using it. I knew damn well right there it was just designed poorly and would likely overheat on me within a few months of owning it, and die. So I took it back and exchanged it for a Lenovo entry level system, and the build quality and quietness of it were night and day different considering they were almost the same price (the Lenovo was about $50 more).

I ended up selling off that Lenovo to a friend, because I ultimately had my eye on a more expensive model with a metal case, which is what I still use to this day. But I've had nothing but good experiences with it. I particularly like their style of keyboards on their laptops and desktop systems. The keys are slighly curved inwards and comfortably laid out so I don't accidentally bump other nearby keys when typing.

5. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    My sister has one and she has had it for the past two years and it has been good to her. I haven't seen any difference in it compared to others except for the screen, which seems to be very weak when you open and close it.

6. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I have had good experience with mine.
    What exactly were the issues you were having?
    Could be just a bad one off unit, or could be a PEBCAK issue.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lenovo has consistently been toward the top of laptop manufacturer ratings for many years now. During any given year, the best and worst manufacturers will vary widely, but rarely would I say that Lenovo has been at the bottom. You have to look at it on an individual device level, in this case laptops. Each manufacturer will release a handful of winners and a handful of busts each year, regardless of its reputation for making good or bad devices.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The question that you should be looking into is exactly what are you going to be using the laptop for? Certain brands and companies are much better at tasks like gaming, music, etc. It depends on what the primary use will be.

I don't have any experience with Lenovo laptops, but perhaps your issue is you're trying to use it for something its not designed to do. Whenever I'm looking into new tech, I start with mapping out what I will be doing and going from there. Look closer into the computer specs and see if it matches with your goals