How bad are soft drinks for you?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people love drinking soda. Need a reason to stop wasting your cash on them soft drinks? Here are just a few side-effects of soft drinks:

- Drinking a lot of soda will eventually cause you kidney problems. It's a documented fact.

- You could gain weight if you don't exercise a lot. Being obese means you're more likely to get diabetes. Is it worth the risk?

- Sodas contain an acid which dissolves the enamel on teeth. Too much of it and you'll be having serious dental issues.

Save your cash by not buying soda and avoid all the above health risks. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    But it's SOOO SWEET! SOOO YUMMY! NOM-NOM-NOM ... :p (`coz DPF doesn't have the >:) smilie)

Of course it's bad for you, just like everything else that SOOO GOOOOOD ;) But it's okay in moderation (which sometimes means 'balancing it out' with lotsa healthy stuff).

3. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Agreed, Denis Hard, mythman, I've given them up, for the most part. They are special occasion treats and I only drink the most natural ones I can, when I do. In fact, I don't remember too well the last time I've had one. It has to have been months since my last soda. So far, I've lost over 100 pounds total on Weight Watchers, a diet that encourages healthy eating and slow weight loss, and I've kept it off. Hopefully, that'll help keep me from getting diabetes like my father or becoming pre-diabetic like my mother.

4. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I agree soft drinks have a whole host of ingredients that are bad for you. I am lucky that I don't have that much of a sweet tooth and don't really soda so never buy it and don't drink it. There are plenty of alternatives which are much better for you I like dandelion and burdoch and elderflower is also delicious.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I love soft drinks so much but I only have them once a week. Instead I make our own fresh lemon or lime juice, and ice lemon tea to go with our meal everyday. Sometimes I will make a whole big jug of fresh lime juice so my husband and I have enough for a whole week and we don't need to think about getting other kind of drinks at all.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never touched the stuff in my life. Even as a kid I didn´t like soft drinks, which my family used to find peculiar.
    I have seen how soft drinks affect teeth and bones, making them brittle. I have also observed how one of my cousins gets all fidgety and edgy if he can´t get his daily coke, and how afterwards he is all tranquil and dreamy. Another question for me would be: how addictive are soft drinks?

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some soft drinks contain caffeine in them. Caffeine is addictive so I suppose those who take soft drinks get addicted to the caffeine and since they have no idea what it is they want, when they get a craving for caffeine, instead of drinking coffee they'll simply get themselves another soft drink.

p.s I've heard that people who drink lots of soft drinks age faster.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew Red, Dr. Pepper and Vanilla Coke. It was awful. I definitely was addicted. The Red was probably what caused most of it.
    Consuming a lot of anything is going to give you health problems.
    I drink only Sprite nowadays. It has no caffeine so I think I am safe. Yeah it has sugar which isn't the best thing but I get bored drinking just water orange juice lemonade or dairy products (I feel like I can't handle a lot of dairy anymore anyways).
    You should exercise a lot anyway.
    My teeth are already horridly worn from how I used to grind them when I was in school so I don't know what enamel I'd have left to ruin. Plus Sprite is a clear soda.