How Did We Survive Without Cellphones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by pafjlh • Feb 26, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I know it may seem like a silly question to ask but I feel the need to. Many of us act like we can't leave our homes without our Cellphones. Some of us spend a great deal of time talking on them or texting on them. I will admit that I find it hard when I forget my Cellphone at home and walk off wihtout it. I feel like I am not secure because I left my Cellphone which is my link to my family at home.

This is really a silly way for me to be thinking, because I come from a generation where there wasn't always Cellphone techology at least not to the magnitude of today. I grew up seeing those things known as phone booths, remember those, if you don't watch reruns of the original Superman TV Series, these are featured a whole lot in those. Come to think of it these are featured in a great deal of classic TV because well again no Cellphones. So, you would think coming from such a generation where I didn't always have Cellphone technology I wouldn't be so attached to my Cellphone but after years of having it in my possession it has become a habit for me. Kind of like the Internet. I guess its become a habit for a great deal of us to have, and I have to wonder if we go actually go back to the way things were before Cellphones, my feeling is probably not.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No idea! I wonder how we found people before. Imagine, being worried about someone who went out and still didn't come back, or disappeared and you don't know where they are! Imagine not being able to call them. We are very spoiled these days.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also come from a generation where mobile phones were uncommon. In fact, only "important" people had a mobile phone when I was growing up. As the years have gone bye, everything has changed so quickly, and these days many people think that the current state of things is the norm, and that it has always been like that. I am glad to say that I, despite of having a mobile phone, hardly ever use it. It's just there, in case I need it.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes wonder the same thing! We had to be far more organized and walk around with spare coins in the pocket just in case. That said, I want to try not having/using my phone for a few days just to see how freeing it might be. It should be quite freeing.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Things have changed a lot. Back in the days before cell phones there were other modes of communication. Slower they were, for example sending letters to inform someone that you would be visiting them and most people were used to them. What has changed now is the ease with which you can reach someone. It's good for business men I suppose. But should something happen and we went back to the age of phone booths, I believe that people would have to readjust and they'll get by without cell phones.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I barely use my cellphone now, like I can go on a full week without bothering to look up my cellphone or even charge it. My friends know about this so they just send me a message on Facebook or Twitter whenever they want to talk to me. However, I couldn't survive without the internet. I am a freelance writer and one of the most important factors of this job is the internet/computer.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time where I would check mine constantly, but you can live without one. It is possible, as I lived in remote area for a few months where there was no reception and I survived. The important thing is to control the use and not let it control you. That means the phone is for me to answer calls when I want and not to have to answer whenever anyone calls just because I have a phone. Otherwise you never have control of your life or time.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uh, we lived like normal, only without cellphones? I really don't know why so many people can't fathom this. It's not like cellphones were some huge cultural overhaul that changed he world as we know it.. we can now talk on the way.. yeah, so? :V

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL.. this makes me feel so old.. but I'm NOT lol. It's crazy how fast technology has shot forward in even the past decade, let along 2. There was no such thing for me growing up. And life was much better for it. Yeah it would have been SO great having one as a teen.. I missed so many calls being out all the time and it drove me nuts. Otherwise.. life can be torture for kids in the cell age. EVERYthing is posted online now, I'm so so happy my life was mine. Rumours were bad enough lol. And today.. I can't stand that people can get a hold of me whenever they want. I don't want to be bothered when I'm out unless it's an emergency or something. I like being present and cell phones don't allow for that much. Better things to do. Life won't end without one and we all proved that before they existed lol.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no one that really called me and I never liked talking on the phone. As for texting, I'll do that plenty but most people I don't text either because I'm not really sociable IRL anyway. I have a smartphone though and I can't imagine life without it anymore because I play my music on it. Of course there is MP3 players but it's more convenient to have one device that does everything.

11. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    For me it's more of a safety and convenience thing. I feel lost without my cell phone because what if the car breaks down or I run out of gas or there is an emergency. Sure, many grew up in the age of no cell phones, but the phone booths have all but disappeared. So not having my cell phone and getting stuck somewhere I am left with few options to get help. That said, I hate talking on the phone and maybe use my phone once a week for calling purposes.

12. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Convenience. Phones are just that for me at least. I don't rely on phones to get in touch with my best buddies, even today I tend to go to their places unannounced and we socialize that way instead of having to text and call for conversations. Phones are very useful today and I don't think the modern human being will be able to move around places without them.

13. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny how many people tend to think they can't survive without phones these days. I grew up in the midst of cellphones being all over the place and never did I looked at it as a necessity but rather than convenience. Maybe it's just me but I just find it really funny when I see people hanging out with their friends and they all have their phones blazing on their faces.

14. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I think the expectations were less from people. Nobody expected you to be available all the time. You needed something from a friend, you either went to his house or waited till next day or next time you would meet him. If your boss wanted something from you after office hours, he had to wait until next day as the expectations from his boss were also the same..:)

15. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    It was a slower day back then. People do not have the means to instantly call or message each other like we do now. They had to adapt to the technology of the times. Though, I know they want to communicate messages as fast as possible Then, communication technologies have popped up one after the other. Cellphones were once luxuries, but once it has integrated in our day to day life, it has become a necessity.

16. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    In my point of view there may be a big trouble in paying bills money transfer issues which are available in cell phones and there are applications of security companies where you can control appliances from anywhere.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up thinking that cellphones are for the rich and famous people only. I mean, not everybody can afford to buy one back then. I remember when my mom died. I had to send each and everyone of our relatives a telegram to inform them. My sister who was in college had to write us a letter at least once a week to let us know that she is okay. Sending money to my sister in a university has to be done through Postal Money Order. That was the way things were done before cellphones and I don't think we can go back to it.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cell phones aren't really a necessity by any means, despite the fact that so many people own one. If you can't get along without it, then you've got to reassess your priorities. We used to survive without them because they couldn't do that much when first released. Even today, not everyone needs a cell phone or smartphone in their daily lives.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's because people got used to simpler means of living, that's why they were able to survive without cellphones. But now that the generation that we live in is now more technologically advanced, then of course we also got used to it. It's just a matter of immersion.

20. Determined2014

Determined2014New Member

Threads:
    People got by just fine without cellphone, just by using landline phones, telegrams, faxes and many more, but nowdays, we have become so addicted to cellphones we can not do without them,you find that one can barely go out of the house without their cellphones, if they forget it in the house, they will do what it takes just to go back and get it.