How Did You Come Up With Your Security Deposit?

Discussion in Mortgage & House Payments started by ACSAPA • Aug 29, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi guys. I spoke to the management of the apartment building that I've been interested in for years. They told me that the entire deposit to move in would be $1,700.
    That's not as bad as I thought, but it's still kind of a lot and I'm kicking myself for all my bad past financial choices because there are a few times in the past few years where I had $1,700 and didn't save it. Anyway, I'm going to be working hard and living lean because I want that place badly but I'm still paying rent and bills at my current place.

For those of you that are apartment dwellers, how did you come up with that lump sum security deposit? Did you sell some of your valuables?
    Did you take on a second or third job? Or did you just change your budget so that you could put extra money away?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in your shoes, if I didn't have the money, I found most landlords to be very understanding. Many would add the amount to the monthly rent, or allow me to pay as I could. There was always something we could work out. Few wouldn't, but I imagine things are more strict these days. Could you maybe ask if there is something that could be worked out? Half now, half as you make it? Higher rent till it's paid off?

If none of this is possible, I would just do every little thing i could to get it. Sell what I could. Find some great deals and resell them higher. Scrounge, cut back etc etc. You're determined, I'm sure you'll be there in no time :)

eta: what about your paintings? Maybe shop around to see how much a table is in certain places.. one day could make you so much money. Lots you could do with your art. Especially with Christmas coming!

#2Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    In addition to what JosieP said, maybe you could trade your art work for some of the down (maybe even for all of the down). If you look around the common areas in the apartment building, like the lobby, is there any art work at all? If not or it is terrible art, this may be a good trade for both you and the landlord.
    Other options would be to borrow the money from family or friends or take out a zero interest credit card. If you can get one with no interest for 12 or 18 months, use it to only charge the down payment, make those monthly payments so it is paid off before the interest kicks in and then close it. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    JosieP, I love that you remembered I'm an artist. I was just thinking about the deposit today and decided that if I put some extra time into making more art pieces (like maybe pull some all-nighters, a painting marathon) and used social media to get the word out that I have some new stuff listed for sale, maybe I could raise the money.

Thank you for all your suggestions ,guys. This 3 day weekend is as good a time as any to start painting.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is, the building does have terrible art in the lobby, but it's such a nice building.
    I guess I could at least find out who buys the art for the common areas of the building. These are interesting ideas. Thanks.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ACSAPA, I think the painting idea sounds like it might work out perfect ! If they will let you trade artwork, or at least hold it as security while you are making the deposit, then people who go there can see your work, and you may make some extra sales to the other tenants when they find out the artist lives in the building also.
    Do you paint the avatars that you use ? I don't remember seeing any paintings or even a mention of them on any of your posts before, and I am thinking that I should have remembered it if there were paintings posted in the comments.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pulling for you :) I know exactly how you've been feeling

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi. I don't paint my avatars. They are popular video game characters.
    I haven't posted any of my artwork here. I've drawn various subjects before but right now I'm mainly focusing on cat paintings and I've been growing a Twitter following of cat lovers that have bought a few pieces. I used to also do coffee themed paintings with steaming coffee cups and teapots because I'm a caffeine addict. I might bring that back too if I can find customers for it on eBay. A lady from Australia requested that I do some chihuahuas in same art style that I paint the cats, so I might start adding small dogs.

I don't do abstract art, I do colorful pictures of familiar items like pets and coffee and plants, because those are the things that I like. I also took a fashion illustration class in art school and I can draw the high fashion sketches of women in evening gowns, but that type of thing hardly ever sells on eBay.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you. I appreciate your kind words of support. It means a lot. I think everyone has lived in at least one place that they really hated and it can be hard to break free but I think I can do it. :)

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You totally can.. and you will! You'll look back and this time will make you appreciate where you are even more. As for your paintings, maybe "sell out" lol. Just until you save up enough. Find popular sellers (like One Direction haha, you know.. bands and stuff the little girls like.. that's where the money is lol) and create your own style paintings? I helped a friend do this a long time ago. She wanted to make some money and I helped her get some stuff from my suppliers. She grabbed a bunch of home and garden items and made some money. But once I got her to find ways to sell items for children/teens, she made the money in lightening speed. Especially the things for girls. And ESPECIALLY around christmas when these are the people most getting spoiled. They like pretty things for their bedrooms and they definitely love their boy bands and movie stars lol. You could probably just scribble a star's name on a piece of canvas and sell it :p

Either way, this is a short time compared to the rest of your life and you'll never be where you are again.. just keep looking forward :)

11. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Good luck to you, I know it can be rough trying to move out of one place and into another. My deposit for my place was about $1,500. I got the money because I saved it from a job where I was working. Any time I got paid, I had to save a bit of that paycheck.

I wish I could take full credit for saving the money, but I can't. I was in a housing program and the staff there made me (and made everyone else who was there) save a certain percentage of income or else you would have been kicked out of the program and onto the streets. Saving money was one of the rules, or else.

Honestly, if it would have been left up to me, I probably would have spent the money almost as soon as I got it. My dad told me that the only reason that I had enough money for a deposit is because someone made me save the money. He was right, which is shameful, but I didn't know about saving money back then, I had to learn.

#11Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that must have been a stressful time for you. Even though I should know better because I grew up poor, there have still been times in the past few years where I justified unnecessary purchases and I regret it now.

I'm doing better at saving right now because things are so unbearable where I live right now that it's strengthened my resolve and nothing else right now seems as important as coming up with that security deposit.

Thank you for sharing your story. You did what you had to do to survive and it helped you move on to your own place.
    It sounds like you learned a lot and became stronger.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So it's midnight on Tuesday morning and I finished a few sketches that I'm going to add paint and color to later today.
    I'm going to take my art stuff to the public library because they let me work on art in peace and I can't justify running up the electric bill at my apartment with the air conditioning when I'm trying to move out of this dump.
    Today, I shall have air conditioning on the library's dime. Public libraries are awesome and if I forget how to draw something, they have artists' reference books. :)

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is a security deposit? Is it similar to home insurance? We don't have security deposit over here in England. I pay home insurance and that is quite expensive, I wonder if I really need it because it's a lot of money each year. I know it gives me peace of mind knowing I am insured but I am fairly sure nothing bad will happen...

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A security deposit is when an a landlord of an apartment building requires you to pay two or 3 months rent in advance before you move in. This assures that they get paid even if you move out in the middle of the night without paying or damage the apartment and cause it to need repairs.

The biggest obstacle for a lot of would-be apartment renters is coming up with 2 or 3 months worth of rent up front in a lump sum.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I overdid it yesterday and made myself sick. I have to moderate my enthusiasm and control my desperation to move out so that I don't overwork myself. Monday night I did my usual work on the computer all night and then Tuesday I worked all day on making art to sell on eBay. So basically I went 24 hours without sleep and since I'm already stressed out about my living situation, my body just quit on me and I started having flu like symptoms.
    I have to find a way to be productive without forgoing sleep.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you're no good to either of you if you're overwhelmed and sick. Just remember, you WILL get there regardless.. no matter what, you will make that last cent you need and walk out of that apartment for the last time. So a little sleep will not hurt you ;)

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The plot thickens. My ex wasn't really an issue because we had a verbal agreement that my daughter lives with me and he lives his life and visits from time to time. Well, now he has a fiancee who can't have children.
    Since she can't give him any kids ,she has been pushing him to be aggressive about getting custody so that they can be a 3 piece family.

My kid is almost 16 and doesn't like her very much.

Anyway, you know my small apartment with the electrical problems that I hate and want to move out of?
    My ex's fiancee is encouraging him to use that against me as proof that I can't provide a nice environment for my daughter.

So, now I have an additional reason to come up with that security deposit ASAP, and I was already stressed out about it. I know that things happen for a reason and this is probably just extra motivation, but I feel frustrated.
    I promised my kid that I'm not giving up on the security deposit or her.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know how it is there, but I know here the child has a say at that age. Plus, they would have to prove you unfit and I don't know you or the whole situation, but I can tell she's your first priority and you're doing the best you can for her... that isn't unfit. A crappy place you are currently trying your hardest to get out of, is not grounds for taking your child away from you. I would find someone with the know about these things where you are and get some advice. I really doubt you have to worry about it (other than the annoyance of it that is). You've been her rock and financial support this whole time.. they won't just turn her world upside down because her father decided to play house with her.

So sorry you're being put under so much pressure like this.. I know it's overwhelming, but do try to find out for sure what his chances are so you can rest easy and concentrate on moving forward.

#19Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually went to a crowdfunding site and set up a fundraising campaign to take donations. This definitely qualifies as a plight, so now is not the time to be proud. I actually raised 5% of the deposit, which is better than nothing.