How do to dress if I'm poor?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by pfaemaster • Jul 7, 2014.

1. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Well I'm not that well off but I really want to dress nicely for school. I have two collared shirts that I wear with my jeans. I always keep them clean and ironed but I wish I could have some variety.

It's so frustrating to see the rich kids walk around in sweats and sport suits when they could buy much nicer clothes.
    I think the girls notice that I wear the same clothes and no one dates a guy that's poor. Im pretty attractive and smart but no one cares because I'm poor.
    I'm so sad that I can't have any sense of style. Why doesn't anyone care about dressing nicely anymore? Is there anything I can do to get some nice clothes that don't cost so much?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why don't you try the thrift shops in your neighbourhood for some variety in your clothing? Often you find amazing bargains there, I often do, that have been hardly or never worn. Most of the things in my wardrobe come from opportunity shops, there are even some brand names but I don't really care much about labels. Be an individualist and find your own style. ;-)

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Sense of style can be developed but you will need some inspiration. Browse online men's magazines and find something you can copy. Then go hunt down these similar pieces of clothing in thrift shops. You will eventually develp a style of your own. While it is true that most girls look for guys who have more money, there are some who are not particular with the guy's financial status as long as you are a genuinely nice guy and you're witty and fun to be with.
    Smile and develop your confdence. Girls don't like insecure guys.
    I wish you luck and do updat us on the developments.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like what the others have said, I think your best bet is to buy clothes from thrift shops, they are usually very cheap and at least decent looking. Some even look good as new. And I think at this point, if you think that the girls don't notice you yet because of your clothes, then just continue to focus on your studies. When you are already working, the girls will come later.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    You can definitely find some cheap at thrift shops if you like wearing clothes from there. Maybe if you have a Goodwill in your city, u might can find a deal. Sometimes they have new things. Most stores have a clearance section and the clothes are sometimes really cheap. I found a nice top and it was $2.00.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    thrift shop i should say. There are inexpensive clothes for sure, you don't have to buy clothes that costs $100. All you need is to look decent and its good that you make it clean. One factor though is to make your appearance clean as well like shaved face and feel good haircut.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First, if I was the OP, I wouldn't care about what others thought about how dress. If someone won't want to hang around you when you're not well off, it's good because you at least know whom your real friends are.

But getting back to the question, how to dress stylishly if you don't have enough dough to spend on clothing. Simple, buy used. Get only what you'll be comfortable wearing. School lasts only a few years so don't care too much about your fellow students or what they think about you.

8. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I get all of my clothes from the thrift shop, even at the age of 23 going on 24. I got my first job two years ago, and where do you think I bought all the slacks and collared dress shirts?

Bingo - thrift stores.

I check them for quality before buying, and I always make sure to go on the "sale day of the week" when pretty much 80% of the clothes are 1/2 off. I stocked my wardrobe for $30 which originally cost a couple hundred (for those who first bought the stuff).

Also, if you don't like everything the store has to offer, why not take some cheaper items and tailor them to your needs? Need a pocket with that shirt? Need an extra zipper on the pants? Want a radical, hip shirt with two patterns mashed together? Sew them together yourself. I have so much fun doing this, and it makes unique, one-of-a-kind styles that people compliment me on. Doesn't hurt to try it yourself! Good luck!

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the above is good advice. I have been watching this show where the designer takes the clothes that people have purchased some of them from second hand stores and alters them puts a special touch on them making them brand new and one of a kind. Give it a try, you do not have to have brand name for everything. Vintegage is the way to go right now.

10. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I feel your pain, it's hard finding nice clothes at a cheap price, many stores mark up their products to ridiculous amounts. However, there is still hope, although it may not seem like it, you can get branded clothes for pretty cheap, just scout the mall for clearance sales, when a store has a clearance sale, you can get their stuff for more than 70% off. Also, going to the thrift store is a good option, their clothes are pretty cheap and are surprisingly stylish and not worn out at all, and you can find some pretty good brands at the thrift shop. Hope this helps! Good luck with the next school year!

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if we are poor or we don't have enough money we should put our pride and vanity aside and dress as we can. Sure, we don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons, but as long as we are presentable and we have our hygiene we will be fine. There are plenty of stores that sell good looking affordable clothes though. ;)

12. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    If you have little money but want to look nice, thrift stores are a good place to look. If you have a Salvation Army around you, every Wed. everything is half off in the stores. That's where I get my daughters uniforms from. One year I bought them all new and it cost $200! I could not do that again, it was just too costly. I decided to go to the thrift store every once in a while and now that school is almost here again, I've been going through both my girls uniforms. Since I've been buying them little by little for half off, I have everything they need and I will not have to go out and buy more this year! I was thrilled! There are some REALLY nice things you can get from thrift stores. Some items still have tags on them. You just have to look and make sure to try them on before leaving, as they don't give refunds.

13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    What I can suggest you do is if you are going to buy clothes, choose the basics. This way, they won't notice that you are repeating the same clothes all the time. They will just think you are a simple and practical guy. For instance, a white shirt would always look the same, no matter how many pieces you have.

Also, try going to surplus stores because that's where you can usually find some nice deals when it comes to clothes.

14. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Let me just tell you that being rich or poor doesn't really affect what you should wear. Bill gates wore old shorts that he owned back when he was in middle school to a mall in New York last 2005. Nobody noticed him because of what he's wearing.

The point is, whether you're rich or poor, just wear anything that makes you feel comfortable.

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with what you say Tapel, you must wear what makes you feel comfortable and makes you feel good. Sure, if we have less money there is always that particular piece of clothe that you want to buy, but can't. But let's face it, this happens to almost everyone, most people want to buy something they simply can't afford, we always want more than what we have.

16. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Try some thrift shops. Many times there are very nice clothes there. Just make sure there are no stains or permanent smells. Go home, wash them, iron them, and they should be fine. If you do not have decent thrift stores, there are thrift stores online, just be careful and make sure you examine the pictures and double check the sizes. You can also buy in bulk. I know on Ebay you can find people selling t-shirts in bulk for $20-$30 dollars and you end up with 8-12 different shirts. Find what you like, what makes you comfortable, and shop for that. If you find something extra for cheap great! If not stick to what you like and ignore those "rich kids."

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem as you when I was in school. You should try thrift stores. I'm telling you there are great selections in clothing you can buy here. I always mix and match certain pieces to give a more fashionable look to an outfit I put together. I get compliments all the time from strangers and they ask when I get my outfit from. I'll make up something like Target or JC Penney. Just look for clothing that makes you feel comfortable and this is where you'll find your sense of style.

18. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I would second the idea of going to the thrift shops especially since there are some really nice things you can get at many of them. And a good number of clothes are donated new so you can get some really good scores. Also you can get a part-time job and have a little extra money to buy some more clothes that you want.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think you've gotten some good advice so far...thrift stores are a good way to go, sometimes places like TJ Maxx or Marshall's will have some good stuff on sale, even more "brand name" stores occasionally have like extra off clearance and big discounts like that for you to get some basic staple items to build a wardrobe around. There are a lot of people in the same situation who don't have a lot of room in their budget for clothing but don't want to sacrifice style either and there are definitely ways to make it work; though they sometimes involve some patience and creativity.

It sounds like you're really self-conscious about it, though...aside from the above advice, I'd suggest trying to be a little more comfortable in whatever you're able to afford and that confidence will become a part of your style :).

20. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Thrift stores, as the majority of people have stated are great. Great because you can look well off, provided you go to the right stores. There are scores of thrift communities on youtube, who will be able to give you some hints and tips and surprisingly enough, some of the guy thrifters are the funniest and most resourceful ones.

My personal tip, make sure that you wash thoroughly anything that you will put near your body, this includes sneakers. I would recommend a good measure of Pine-Sol in a washing machine along with regular detergent and if the item is delicate just wash it on cold.

You can't take chances with thrift stuff, too many incidents of bed-bugs and scabies out there.