How Do You Avoid Eye Strain?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Feb 2, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those of you here who use your computers a lot, have you ever had to deal with eye strain? I've been reading some tips on how one should avoid eye strain, taking a break every 20 minutes for example.

Makes me wonder how many people do that.

Anyone know better ways to avoid eye strain?

2. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I can't give you a scientific answer, but only a simple one. I approach eye strain like any other strain on the body. If I feel my eyes are starting to feel "strained", I get up and walk away from the computer to rest my eyes. It's amazing how refreshed my eyes feel after a few minutes of not staring at the computer.

I think in most cases we can take care of our body by simply listening to our body.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have issues with strain and headaches until I figured out it was the brightness of the screen for me. Ever since I turned it down as far as it would go (depending on the lighting in the room of course), I haven't had a problem at all :) Hope you find your answer.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally it's hard for me because I do not feel eye strain but this might be the culprit of why I get headaches a lot. I have tried the thing you are quoting. I think that helps if I remember to do it. I do not worry about the measurement so that makes it easier. I just look away every now and then and focus on something nearby.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I actually used to do the "looking far away" thing a few years back. I'm not sure why I stopped doing it, especially since now I'm more prone to headaches.

I also liked this trick: put two tablespoons in the fridge (or freezer!) so that they cool down. When your eyes hurt, just get them and put them over your closed eyes (I'm not sure if I should specify 'with the rounded part of the spoon' because that should be obvious?) The cooling feeling is wonderful!

6. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    My eyes get strained a lot because I'm on the computer for long stretches of time. My mom always said every 20-40 minutes, I should close my eyes for a minute or so. There's a product called Gunnars which is to stop eyestrain, I believe. They also have it with prescription if you already have glasses. I think while it does prevent eyestrain, it's still beneficial to take frequent small breaks.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I have problems with eye-strain at times and while I haven't found a conclusive solution I do things that mitigste the problem. Every hour or two I try to look away from a computer and look at a faraway point in my room, I do that for a few minutes and then keep working. Something else I do is a type of eye exercise, I hold a finger close to my eyes and focus on it, after 10 seconds or so I focus on a faraway point in the room. It's a weird exercise, but it really helps relax my eyes and helps with eye-strain a lot.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Eye strain is a common problem these days especially if you are addicted to your computer. The best way to avoid eyestrain is to do the eye exercise on regular intervals. You must keep the eye muscles very active.

9. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    First, my desktop background is GREEN. Very easy to the eyes. Next, my computer screen is not directly in front of me but a little to the side which I think helping me to always move my head and the line of vision. Third, I make sure that I rest my eyes whenever I feel like its tired. Luckily, my office has a window infront of my desk that I am able to look outside the building for kilometers of distance away.. which I think also good.

10. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    1. Since my eyes can't move I always have to move my head if I am reading something
    2. I have tint in my "computer glasses"
    3. I frequently shut my eyes (aside from blinking) for at least 2 minutes
    4. I am usually looking at the keyboard when I type.

I'm not sure if these are the best ways to go about eyestrain prevention or dealing with it but this is what I do.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've read the same tip and I'm inclined to believe it. I think resting every once in a while is a good method even though I personally sometimes forget to do so because I'm too engaged in whatever it is I'm doing. When I feel eye strain I usually just try and relax for a while and if I can I might even try and get a small nap in just to help with overall energy regeneration.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    My screen has an option to darken or lighten the screen. So when I use the computer at night, I can darken the screen so it's not blinding me. Also, my computer and my computer desk it right in front of a window. You would not believe how much having your computer by or in front a window helps. I also get up every so often and do something else, and I don't keep the screen super close to my face.

13. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Sorry to pop in again but there's this thing I totally forgot about:

It's basically an addon that adjusts your computer light to reflect what kind of lighting your room's in. I think it helps my eyestrain for the fact that the colors aren't as "blue" and are more mellow colored. It also helps if you're up working late in the night for something or are just generally a later computer user. It says it could help you sleep better, and I know there's some studies done if it actually helps, but I'm not too sold. I just like it for the factor of the screen being less stressing :)

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I do that actually but in a very different way. After maybe 15-30 minutes of straight computer work I go outside my room/office and take a 5 minute break, maybe walk outside or just walk around the office and then I comeback. I find it very helpful not only for my eyes but also my productivity.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some reason, I don't really suffer from eye strain unless I'm really tired and staring at a screen for hours on end. I do take occasional breaks or sit back and close my eyes. Still, I don't deal with much fatigue or eye strain, no matter what I'm doing on the computer. I know people that can't sit there for more than a few minutes at a time without their eyes feeling wonky, though.

16. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I turn down my screen brightness for one thing. Another is to take a break when the pain is starting to set. Taking a long nap would help, or simply calling it a day. If these do not work, I take an herbal supplement in order to make the eye strain pain go away faster. Maybe get some vitamins that are good for the eyes. That could help.

17. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I experience the eye strain and headaches too. I appreciate the replies that said you adjust your computer light. I am going to try this, because I am sensitive to the brightness. I am always checking my posture, getting up and stretching, and also positioning my tablet that is not causing me to uncomfortable. I find myself hoping that I am not being effected by any bad WiFi energies. I also put my glasses far down on my nose.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to enlarge the letters on my screen and have a break every half an hour for 5 minutes. I don't get so much eye strain, but rather "brain strain". At times I need at least a couple of hours to fully recuperate after working in front of a computer screen for many hours. Also, occasionally my eyes get swollen, and I have bags under my eyes from working too long on the computer.

19. bodiesstretch

bodiesstretchNew Member

Threads:
    I use the Pomodoro technique. Stare at the screen for twenty-five minutes, then take a five minute break. Every three or four work/break cycles, take a half-hour break. It also helps me keep focus no matter how challenging the task I'm working on.
    I also occasionally work at night, and I found f.lux to be a blessing for my eyes and sleeping patterns.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I try to avoid it, I still run into eye strain on occasion. I do try to take breaks, shift my focus away from the screen, and keep my eyes moving, but sometimes I forget. I also turn my screen brightness down a little bit, but not too much. Of all of these methods, I think frequent breaks are probably the most effective for me.