How Do You Avoid Overspending When Shopping For Clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by turtledove • Sep 3, 2015.

1. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    A few years ago, I would overspend a lot when shopping for clothing. It was so easy to do. I would just convince myself that one specific piece would be worth it and it's not too expensive in each store, and by the end of the day, the amount I'd spent would be far higher than I had set out to spend.

Now I make lists of exactly what sort of things I want to buy and what I need, rather than just going on shopping trips for fun. If I have specific things I need to find, it helps stop my mind from wandering, and I'm far less likely to spend the extra money on unnecessary impulse purchases.

How do you avoid overspending when shopping for clothing?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I used to overspending when I was young to be lured by just everything fashionable at the shopping store.

Nonetheless fashion is so ugly now, that I have trouble to find at least some of the basics on my shopping list.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just keep a specific budget I'd be willing to spend at specific stores and give it a bit of allowance so I feel less constrained. If I'm being more strict then I'll plan it out a little more and at most I'd resort to researching each item and calculating the price range so I'll be more prepared. Most of the time I just do both and research some of the key items I'd like to buy while still also giving myself some room to spend more on other things so it doesn't end up taking too much of the fun out of shopping.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too always have a budget that I stick strictly to. It also helps that when I do go clothes shopping, I'm usually with my husband. We decide when to go shopping and agree how much we'll both spend. In as much as I love to shop for clothes, I never get carried away and go over budget.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was walking in the mall the other day and I saw some promotional billboards for HM and the leggings and tops cost around $27. That is enough for me not to overspend on branded items. I feel that it's too much to spend on a piece of clothing. When it comes to cheaper items that I can afford, I always know how much money I have then can be spent on luxury items, so I just use that money and not touch money that is reserved for the necessities.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How to avoid overspending?

Depends entirely on where you'll be buying. Many of those who buy online, using their credit cards might be tempted to spend a little more than they intended but you need to stick to your budget. Self-control. That's what it will take to kill that impulse.

When shopping in a brick and mortar store, take with you only the cash you intend to spend. Leave you credit/debit cards home.

7. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I give myself a budget and stick with it. I also try to go to stores that have sales going on to help save money. Another thing I do is shop online, I tend to find things cheaper online verses going to the store. Ultimately its about having self control.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I am shopping for clothes, I have a rule where I am not allowed to buy it on the same day, and if I still want it, I can go back for it the next day. More often than not, I'm not interested enough to actually go ahead and do that, meaning that I save money. Obviously I will let myself buy things on the same day if I have gone for something that I specifically need; I'm just talking about impulse purchases here.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We specifically go to the outlet malls twice a year. I go with a list of items we are looking to buy. The list helps eliminate the impulse buying that can happen. I try really hard to stick to the list but sometimes you just find a great deal on something and have to have it. I also use that rule about waiting a day to buy something. If you still like it and then you really want it, go back the next day. Most of the time I'll sleep on it and then realize I didn't need anyway. I find with stores like Marshalls items go quickly so you have to buy it then and there or it's gone. I'll take it home, sleep on it and if I still love it, I'll keep it but sometimes I'll end up taking it back.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like others, I usually have a budget.. but I also tend to stick to just what I need, I don't usually go out and buy clothes for the heck of it. And I also don't tend to by anything in malls etc.. I'm not into fads and won't buy what everyone else is wearing, so I'm usually shopping in cheaper places anyway.. that's usually where unique hides lol.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very hard task! I just look at the full price and decide if I can afford that much at the moment or not. But I must say I am not very good at controlling that at all! Last time at Zara I spent a small fortune and really shouldn't have spend that amount!

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I really like clothes, so for me it’s a matter of knowing both my needs and what suits me best. Then I make a small list of things that fit both requirements, and I stick to that pretty strictly. Otherwise I could easily go overboard (and when I was spending someone else’s money in my younger days, I did). Sometimes this does mean I’ll pay full price for an item, but I figure that’s fine if it’s something I’ll wear a lot, and if I’m not buying frivolous things on top of it.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a massive fun of shopping for clothes in the first place. That makes it so that I am very unlikely to overspend when it comes to purchasing clothes. Usually, I only need one item. Or a group of them and I know what I am looking for. If I am bound to overspend on anything, it will be the accessories to go with the item that I am purchasing.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I enjoy shopping for clothes and think the fact that I don't particularly enjoy browsing around the stores just for the sake of it probably helps a lot.

What works best for me - is only going clothes shopping when I actually need something or have something specific to buy and as that is usually only two or three times a year - as I generally like to replace any items that are getting a bit worn at the end of each season - it works out even better - especially as - not only do I always have everything I need - but as all my favorite stores have their end of season sales at that time - it helps my budget go further too - which is a real bonus as I never ever use credit.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Thankfully as I've gotten older, my wardrobe has mellowed out and I mainly buy just "business casual" type clothes which are easy to mix and match with each other, and aren't so heavy on the branding or trends/fads at a given moment.

My biggest way of saving money on clothing is to buy it off season, when they are holding clearance sales to get rid of a given season's merchandise. I refuse to pay $70 for a shirt, knowing 2-3 months from now it will probably be on the final clearance rack for like $7 (I'm not kidding, Dillard's has sales like this). You really can't tell "last years" Ralph Lauren from "this years" selection, especially when it comes to basics such as dress pants or dress shorts. Same goes for things like shoes or jackets, I've gotten jackets that otherwise sold for over $200 for around $60 or less.

Plus the added benefit of shopping off season, is there is no need to compromise on brand/quality.

16. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    The most practical advice is NOT TO BUY AN ITEM IF YOU DON'T NEED IT. This may sound so simple but very difficult to follow. Before, I tend to overspend when I see something I like especially if it is on sale. Now, I am happy that I have mellowed down...a little. Lol. As much as possible, I limit going to the mall if I don't really need to buy anything.

17. fuegobella

fuegobellaNew Member

Threads:
    Usually, I don't spend more on clothing as I go for clothes that are in a sale or have some offers already. That way I can buy some more stuff under my budget and i don't feel I overspent on clothes too much.

18. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The one thing you should do is set a amount that you will spend up to. Lets say for example you will spend up to $100 on clothes while out shopping. You should try to either meet that amount or stay under it. A lot of times you will spend more than you want to simply because you don't put any sort of restriction on yourself.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is easy to overspend for clothes especially if you are a woman who's got a credit card. There were times that I didn't care about the price as long as I wanted the dress or the clothing item. My reason is that I can pay for it on credit. But when I matured, I realized that the best way to shop is to have a budget limit. That way, I am warned if I would be overspending. But the budget I give to myself is one that is realistic and not so small.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simple solution is to shop the sales at the mid-range stores like Old Navy, Kohl's, Macy's, JC Penney, and similar stores. I paid 30 bucks for two pairs of jeans the other day, and that's a pretty darn good deal for quality jeans. You can't pay basement prices for clothes because you'll often buy poor quality items, but clearance items at the stores I've listed can save you tons of money. Stores like Walmart and $10 Mall sell crap clothing that wears out in a handful of wears.