How Do You Care For Your Mental Health?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by mildredtabitha • Aug 31, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, there are so many people with mental illness. Some of us are mentally sick but we don't know because what we do, feel and say seems like the right thing. Eating well, exercising and being surrounded by our loved ones are some of the ways to ensure we are mentally stable. What are some of the ways and things you do to make sure you remain mentally stable?

2. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    In this stressful world of today, I practice meditation and yoga. Meditation is no longer some new age fad that's too intimidating to try. The practice has a host of health benefits, from better concentration to improved mental well-being. There are multiple methods of meditation that offer varying degrees of investment.

I set aside 15-20 minutes for meditation when I wake up or before going to bed. It has helped me start and end my day on a positive
    note. Aside from meditation , I exercise at least 3 times a week. Exercising reduces depression and gives me an instant mood boost.

3. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say to avoid self-criticism and make time for your fun hobbies as well during the day- also go out and work in the garden which is good for you mentally and physically. Also try to eat nutritious meals-drink plenty of water and make sure to get some exercise,also quiet your mind with some zen meditation as well. You could set some goals and change your exercise routine once in awhile also.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    This is a bit tough for me since I'm a person who gets stressed so easily and I find it difficult to control my emotions. What I do to is I keep myself busy and be productive everyday. I also make sure to unwind once in a while, exercise regularly and get a good sleep. I feed my mind with positive thoughts and surround myself with the people I love :)

5. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Being an individual who suffers from anxiety, I have learned to avoid certain situations that might trigger the condition. If it is inevitable, I have found that eating properly and getting plenty of sleep help me to better cope. I also find something to keep me occupied (a small project) or a hobby...rather than sitting there allowing my mind to work overtime. A positive outlook can
    really go a long way!

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Present economic and social conditions a are negatively impacting many persons and sending into a state of mental instability, Keep away from stress and from getting into the habit of constantly feeling sorry for yourself are some of the measures that are useful in helping to maintain a healthy mental state.

7. PeteS

PeteSNew Member

Threads:
    A lot of people have minor mental health issues that is mainly caused by lack of sleep along with stress over money. And those two often compound each other because the stress causes you to not be able to sleep, which may effect your job performance. Out of all of the health advice I would ever give someone, probably the most important is to not go into debt for anything other than an afforabable house. Anything else can and should be bought with cash. Savings accounts and loan work opposite of each other, getting credit for something means you need to pay interest, while saving money means you earn interest. Postpone the item, instead set up a savings account and make monthly payments to the savings account until you have enough saved to buy the item outright.

8. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I once heard from a health speaker that morning exercises helps a lot to keep one mentally fit. Since then, I have tried as much as possible to exercises in the morning.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I used to be a teacher and definitely if I didn't jog each morning (when possible), then I'd have a tough time being on my feet all day. Anyway, I'm wondering if any fast food workers do the same. That's another job that's on your feet. Anyway, I'd say even a bank job, a sitting down one, would work better for an exercised person.

Oh, by the way, a healthy mind leads to a healthy body which could mean higher pay for work, better scores at school, and fewer trips to the hospital; in other words, it's all saved money. ;)

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing more powerful than the power of meditation, it helps so much in allow someone to keep a calm body, serene head and even perfect soul building is encouraged by meditation. Human beings today are plagued by lots of worries which tend to increase general body stress and in so doing gets their mental condition badly aggravated. Sometimes if care is not taken, this results to mental illness or even madness or distorted personality as they would refer to it in psychology.

If one try every now and then to engage in meditation, there is no limit to what that person's mind would achieve. In fact, meditation opens the creative aspect of one's brains thereby making it virtually possible to concentrate and conceive any thoughts, and also being very much able to see it done.

As much as to meditate sounds easy, one could easily say ; is it not to just seat one place and not do anything but relax, but take it from that it's one of the most difficult means of relaxing as sometimes it seems very boring. It's only when you find a way to overcome the feeling of being bored in trying to meditate, that it when it actually starts to work.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well some things are just generic, but certainly there are some measures I take to try to keep my brain strong and mind active. I love the crossword puzzles and little things like that, and of course work helps. I probably underestimate the things like eating right when it comes to mental health, though, so this is a nice reminder.

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am a person who gets stressed out easily when things are not going as planned. So, I travel a lot as travel makes me a better person an feel optimistic and less stressed out and also improves my thought processing. Ocassionaly I do meditation which helps me to relax. But with the growing technology we are caring less for our mental health and we should be more serious aboout taking care of it as prevention is better than cure.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think much about it, but I keep on regular physical activities and practice many hobbies. So, I think I'm on the right track to avoid any problem in that regard.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Do lots of exercises, surround yourself with good friends and family, think positive thoughts only. Do things that interest you. Have fun and laugh often. All easier said than done but consistent practice of this can help an individual form/build a great mental foundation. However, all these methods will not help if there is already a mental problem at hand. This needs medical attention as soon as possible.

15. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

You are right. Only medical attention is needed for someone who already has a mental health issue. Though this things might not help to heal the condition, it can help to delay the illness from getting serious because sometimes we can't tell who is ill or not.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to take me time daily. I enjoy small things like seeing a beautiful lady bug on a leaf, being thankful for each day and I pray too. I watch Dr. Oz and read his articles. I like to take multi vitamins, so I stay balanced internally and healthy. I exercise as much as I can with tai chi style of exercising (saw an commercial with Dick Van Dyke one early morning about it). I treat myself to things like ice cream at Baskin-Robbins where they have no sugar added ice cream, every once in a while and eat balanced meals with as much veggies as I can. Now days they have cut fruits so I get that when I can to keep extra healthier too. Giving back to the world, like clicking at hungersite.com, signing petitions to save Social Security and ObamaCare, helps keep me busy and give back to the country for now and the future, makes me feel empowered to do good as well as preserving our America. The more you give back and be thankful completes your reason for living sort of speaking. The future children will have Medicare when they get older and Social Security too, this makes me feel genuinely good to make sure the present and future is secure. Keeping yourself busy, and being thankful will help you keep balanced and mentally fit for you just won't have the time for indulging in self pity, hate, or other destructive attitudes that causes mental illness. I love to keep mentally fit playing games or doing brain teasers so you keep sharp always. Love saving money for it makes me feel empowered to spend wisely.

17. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Besides meditation and exercise, I think having some quiet time does help especially when it seems like we can't really find 5 minutes to meditate. Sometimes, I just enjoy a short period, even 30 seconds or 1 minute to let myself be quiet, not to do anything or think about anything, it helps to bring me back to center. I have also learned that journaling is a good way too. It does help me a lot.

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    There are many other things that may help us to keep our mental safe, some would be to try to have a happy life, work in a place we like, do things that makes us pleasure, keep near us the good friends that would motivate and help us in a positive way in life, In principal eliminating all the negative aspect of our life would help us to be mentally healthy!