How Do You Clean Your Touch Screens?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Dec 26, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had my ipad for about a year now and I've only been using soft tissues sprayed with a mist of water to clean my screen and so far it's been working alright for me. It hasn't been scratched one bit but I'm wondering if there is any other product that you guys might recommend that could be better for his task. I'm worried that I was just getting lucky all along and finally slip one day in my method and actually damage my device unintentionally so I'm thinking it's probably best to keep as safe as possible since I'm thinking that whatever specialty cleaner is out there couldn't be that expensive anyway and considering I'm protecting an expensive gadget for it then it's probably worn it. Then again, tissues might be fine and I may be overthinking this so I'm hoping to get some perspective from you guys.

What do you use to clean your smart devices?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband uses these anti static cloths /glasses wipe cloths that you sometimes get with shades/specs. We also discovered this fantastic solution called the "Macbook Cleaning Kit" (you get the anti-bacterial spray with the cloth). It's designed specifically for Apple screens and casings, but works like magic on all brands. I use it on my Kindle HD Fire, my Samsung laptop and my Nokia phone :)

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I just use a piece of soft cloth. If it's not very dirty or if the dirt is not stubborn, all I need is to give it a good wipe. If the dirt is stuck on stubbornly, then I make the piece of cloth damp first. I will rub over the spot to be cleaned with the damp cloth to make it wet and sort of soften the dirt. Then I would rub again with a dry piece of soft cloth.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use anti static cloths to clean my phone. It is not very dirty as I clean it at least once a day usually before going to bed. I haven't tried using special cleaner for fear that it will damage my device. I sometimes use my breath, that is you breath your phone with your mouth open, and you wipe the screen with a static cloth or a piece of soft cloth. It works wonder for me.

5. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I always wondered what to use, I figured that Windex was not a good choice. I never thought of just using the wipes you use for your glasses, that's a good idea. I get a bit of a smudge because I wear makeup, it is a bit oily and simple wipe alone does not seem to remove all the residue. I am afraid that any chemical will hurt the screen. Even with the folder I still get a bit if a smudge. You would think someone would have marketed a product just for that by now.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I spit on the screen then wipe it off with my hankie.

But when I'm in the mood of really making it look squeaky clean, I simply use a cleaning kit that could be purchased at your local electronics/computer shop. If you don't wanna purchase a kit, I think that a little bit of water on a clean cloth will do the trick.

Oh, by the way, it's a lot better to have a screen protector. It protects the phone from scratches.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always used a screen protector before I use any of my gadgets for the 1st time. I feel more safe when it has a screen protector on. Then I just use a soft cloth with water to clean the screen.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have a screen guard for my phone that I use quite regularly. But other than that I usually do not do anything for the screen. It is really easy to make it dirty but most of the time I am least bothered about it.

9. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I just spray some glass cleaner onto a very soft cloth and wipe it clean. I've seen some people use the edge of their sleeve or a napkin, I know that the touch screens are made to be able to handle those... but it still irks me to see it. I guess I have it ingrained in my head not to use these types of items because of my glasses. I was taught only to use soft clothes to clean otherwise it can get scratched.

10. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    Just curious. How does your touch screen smell like after that?

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I use a microfibre cloth, the same material used for cleaning surfaces of spectacles, sunglasses and computer screens. Obviously I use different cloths for all three, and wash them frequently as well. A little rubbing alcohol can also help to remove the greasy feeling on your touch screen.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use computer screen wipes from the dollar store. Cheap, effective and made for the purpose. It's worth it because there are no smears and no chance of it scratching the screens. I usually let it build up, before I clean it as I am a bit lazy. You can always keep the disposable cloth and reuse it later on in the day to get the most of them!

13. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought that there was a certain kind of cloth that you are suppose to use. When I bought my laptop it came with this cloth that I used to clean it for a really long time, it never got dirty or anything! Ever since then, i just always thought that any piece of technology that you bought came with one of those kinds of cloth. I don't think it would harm your touch screen that much either. Sometimes, I would even use a slightly damp cloth to clean my phone screen and it still works great.

14. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I clean my touch screen things with alcohol or hand-sanitizer and either tissue or a small cotton towel. If I don't have those cleaning agents to use, I find a bottle of water and dab a little onto a tissue or towel and clean my touch-screens. I always make sure I do not use anything that has oils or some sticky glue like substances to clean, because I accidentally had done this once and it took awhile to get it clean once more. Also, nail-polish is okay to use, but I only use it sparingly.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter gave me a special cloth that was made for cleaning the iPad surface. It is soft, almost like a chamois cloth, but more porous. I just wipe the screen with it and it cleans it right up. I have no idea what it is called, but it is a dark red color, and about a foot square.
    I use it on the phone, ipad, and my reading glasses. It works beautifully, and I don't have to use any kind of chemicals on the surface of the iPad.

16. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    I think I have come across something similar. They are specially manufactured fabrics with some kind of chemical impregnated in the fibres. That's why they work so well. No detergent needed. No water needed. Just wipe and it's clean.

17. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I actually would just use a soft cloth that i could find. I don't have a special cloth or anything. Sometimes i even use cotton balls to clean up my touchscreen. I mean I've been doing this forever and it doesn't scratch the screen. I would just softly wipe the screen with cloth because i think we all the screen is really sensitive so we have to be gentle about it.

18. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I'll just use the bottom of my shirt or something like that. If it's any type of cloth, then it'll get the job done. Smartphone screens are stronger than they've ever been, and you're not going to scuff or scratch a screen with a piece of clothing or something like that. An actual cleaning cloth designed for electronics is best, but it doesn't matter nearly as much as it did in the past when screens were made of easily damaged materials.

19. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to use anti static clothes to clean my phone. Though, there have been times that I used a little bit of alcohol when I got grease or jell on it. A regular wipe wouldn't be enough to get that job done.

20. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great question here because I had this problem for a long time, the hand of my younger kid was on my flat screen TV for quite a while lol, but now since we've bought the tablet we bought a product to clean this sort of surfaces, I don't even know what it is though because my wife uses it all the time, but I will inquire. :)