How Do You Control Your Holiday Spending

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by luri • Aug 17, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Holiday is a time when everyone is buying. Holiday is when general people loses money and business makes money. There are certain things that you are required to do in holidays. For instance you are required to have a Chjristmas tree during Christmas. Now having a Christmas tree can be quite burden especially when you are going to throw away in few days.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure there are many ways that people budget when it comes to holiday time that will be posted soon. For me I just try to find something useful, that people will use no matter what their cost is. We bought calendars for just .88 each and gave them for Christmas. People loved it. It's great that family and those you gift appreciate that you gave them something, not how much it costs helps too, which most people are nice that way. We buy those box Christmas cards that is less and goes on sale before Christmas time. We got free from my Mother's working place an artificial Christmas tree that stood just 2 ft. tall that we used year after year. These are the ways we try to economize during holiday time.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I bought an artificial tree years ago, on sale and with an added coupon. It ended up costing me like five bucks. I use it every year. It's not real big, but it works. It's easier to put up and take down too, and I think it's pretty. It's a white one.

I get most of my decorations and stuff at post holiday sales for a fraction of the cost, so I have new items for the next year.

I also try to buy a few gifts here and there instead of having all that expense at once. I look for sales, deals, coupons, and other offers, like buy one, get one free. Certain stores have terrific sales leading up the holidays, and then there are the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales too.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are going to Jakarta on Monday for a 4-day holiday. Since we travel often, we already have a set of rules to follow when it comes to spending. First is the budget that is categorized as food, roaming (includes entrance fees and transportation), souvenir items, things to bring home. If the spending is going over the budget, the other category will suffer. That’s the way we spend on a holiday trip. Self-discipline is the key because overspending may ruin our finances.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We have an artificial Christmas tree that's been with us for more than a decade so we never had to buy a tree. Last year,we didn't bother to put it up as I was too busy with year end stuff at the office. The tree and the decors are kept in a box and we can reuse everything. Our Christmas and New Year celebrations had always been simple ever since my parents passed away. The only additional purchases I have to make are party clothes for my son and gifts for my older relatives. But my budget never have to be jolted by holidays as I've always kept a small portion of my online earnings for these purposes.

6. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    That is also a problem for me. Never in my entire life have I met my targeted budget in terms of spending holiday stuff. It will always be over of my cost objective. I always keep on adding something up or changing the list that I have. It's either I have found something better or I have bought to of a kind. The time that I first met my spending plan is when I got married. My wife is really good at budgeting stuff and the good thing is we bought more but we are paying less. She is actually my solution to being extravagant.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, I didn't even think of "holiday" as being the same as what we often call "vacation." My mind went straight to holiday gift shopping like for Christmas. It makes sense to budget for both kinds of holidays, and it sounds like you are very organized in that regard.

Ha ha, that's cute. I'm sure she's proud to help you out with that. I know I'm the more budget conscious one around here as well. It's a little harder when it comes to shopping for kids/grandkids though. ;)

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually have difficulties in this aspect involving money because I have always been, naturally, someone who knows how to control the own expenses. :D

9. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    That was the good side of the story. Sad part is, I am required to be with her, as the designated cart pusher. It was always fun to be with her thought so my complains are in minimal level only.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to be a smart shopper as well. It's just easy to lose focus when it comes to stuff for the grandbabies. I don't go completely crazy but sometimes spend a bit more than originally intended. Then, it's time to get a grip and get back on target. I just love finding fun things for them.

That's where sales come in. The more money saved on some items, the more there is to spend on the fun stuff.

:D My husband prefers for me to push the cart. You and he seem like the exception to the rule when it comes to shopping. He likes it too, but like you, he would be over budget in no time. I don't think he realizes how fast it all adds up when he's on a roll.

He does pick out good gifts. He's actually great at that. I just have to help him slow down a little.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I buy things in stock when the sale is there. Throughout the year, you can buy things in sale. And then make a stock of it. You can do this depending on the gifts you're giving away. And this is a good option for you to give away stuff. I personally think that buying in last minute is not a good option. You should instead consider spending the time for deciding gifts and then buy as discount comes in.

12. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's almost impossible for you not to spend money during holidays because it's an occasion that calls for money to be spent. I try my possible best to minimize and cut short my spending during holiday and the best way I use doing this is taking my family to visit our grandparents.

With them everything is easy. They have a farm of their own and almost have everything at home. It's only few things that I need spend money on while with them. It's the only safe haven I have when I am trying to run away from spending much during holidays.

13. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    It is very difficult to control my buying holidays, I have two kids and a lovely wife to buy presents so, this is not cheap at all. I usually make a budget for that month and I share the money in a way to be enough for the presents, Christmas tree, and food on the table. I do control my spending very well if I plan a budget, without it I guess I would be a mess!