How Do You Cook Your Corn On The Cob?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Apr 24, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love to leave corn in the shucks and put it on the grill when I've got one going, but that's not an option every time I eat corn. Ordinarily I don't like to prepare foods in the microwave. I do it with corn, though, leaving it in the shucks and nuking for three to four minutes. It comes out so crisp and good.

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I love a good grilled corn. I also love making elotes with said corn. Aww, yea. If not on the grill than just in a boiling pot of water. However, the grill adds that depth of taste.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer boiled corn anytime. And it's very easy to cook too. Place the corn in pot of boiling water and let it cook until it's tender. You can test it with a fork to find out. Get your corn out, sprinkle some salt on it and . . .

I hate the taste of grilled corn so anytime I'm cook corn on the cob, I never grill.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I usually boil mine. I don't cook it very long, but just enough to get the kernels tender.

I like grilled corn but it's not my favorite.

I really want to try doing it this way sometime, though:

corn-cooler-1.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to grill my corn. Here, where I live, you can buy grilled corn on a stick on practically every street corner. It tastes delicious, sweet and juice. At home, I like to drizzle some olive oil over my corn cobs and roast them in the oven. :)

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I par boil and finish them off in a hot oven to get that crispiness. Corn on the cob is quite expensive in my country though so I don't have it too often. I also enjoy those little baby corns in stir-fries. I like these slightly crunchy and underdone.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That QuirkyCookery example kind of reminds me of a similar technique I saw to make "sous vide" steak in a cooler as well - They basically put hot water in a cooler, and dropped in some steaks in Ziploc bags that had all the air pushed out so they would submerge, then put the lid on and let it do it's magic.

I don't have an outdoor grill, but if I did I would definitely be cooking it on there, in the husk, like my friends do it when they invite me over for cookouts. I love the little bit of char it gets, and how the corn kind of steams in it's own juices.

My electric food steamer is what I usually turn to if I am making whole corn on the cob, since it starts steaming almost instantly.

One thing I really love is how Long John Silvers would make their corn on the cob. I'm not sure how they do it, other than perhaps smearing butter all over the corn before wrapping them in foil, but they come out so incredibly soft that the corn would melt in your mouth when eating it off the cob.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That corn! I totally agree with you about how good it used to be. It was a lot like the corn I remember getting at state and county fairs as a child. It was almost like it was boiled in butter. And maybe it was for all I know. It sure was good, though.
    The last time I got corn at Long John Silvers it didn't seem the same. The Long John that we have here where I am right now though isn't as good all the way around as the ones I remember. I d on't know if it's just this location or if they've all fallen.

9. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I like to boil them, it is quick and easy, but if you want a more crisp cob, try boiling, then wrapping in foil and finishing them off in the oven, this works really well. I like to put a knob of garlic butter in the foil to, makes the corn taste delicious.

10. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I love boiling corn on the cob and putting some butter on them with a bit of salt. This tastes so yummy! I think I am going to make some for dinner tonight.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I like both grilled and boiled but I mostly boil my corn on the cob. Then I either eat it as it is or apply butter and a little bit of salt on a freshly boiled corn cob. It may sound a bit too much but I could actually eat 2 or 3 corn cobs in one sitting. :)

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well when everything goes according to plan, just wrap it in some tin foil and throw in on the grill. Unfortunately this year that has not been the case a lot of the time. We have been getting a lot of rain and then we were out of foil and then we couldn't find any good corn. I will boil it if I have to in these cases, and in both cases top with some butter and salt and enjoy.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to always wrap clean washed (and wet) ears of corn in plastic wrap and microwave for 4 minutes each. Nowadays, I open the husk somewhat and run some water into it. I then microwave the corn in the husk for 4 minutes, and once it's out and has cooled off a bit, I remove the husk and clean the corn, then either eat it off the cob or shuck it and eat it that way, with some butter, salt and pepper. I sometimes will bake it in the husk in the oven, or on the grill.

14. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up with boiled corn on the cob. And i still love it that way. A big pan of boilins water with a little salt. Makes me happy!

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also love grilled corn but it is rare now. Most corn vendors are selling the boiled corn. Last Saturday, I bought fresh corn from the market that I boiled without taking off the cover. Maybe it's psychological but the cover keeps the taste intact. Boiled corn here is expensive but raw corn is cheap. So it's a matter of boiling the corn for 20 minutes and you save about 50% of the cost. I wonder why boiled corn is very expensive in the supermarket.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have had it boiled on the stove top, but I love grilling it outside. It just gives it a much better flavor. I feel like boiling just takes all of the nutrients out of it and it isn't as sweet as it is when I grill it outside. It tastes like summer!

17. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I really don’t like the taste of boiled corn on the cob. With that said, I always have them slow-cooked over a grill. What I do is remove the husks of the corn, wash them, leave them for a few minutes to dry, dip them in butter, cover them with foil, then toss them over the grill. I use slow heat to make sure that the corn inside the foil is not overcooked. Within an hour so, the tasty and crispy corn on a cob would be ready to it.