How Do You Cut Back On Spending?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by azeemah kaleem • May 15, 2015.

1. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:
    Just curious has to how people cut back on their spending habits. Even though you may be making a decent paycheck, saving money can still be a little difficult when you don't reduce on spending. Plus, reducing expenses isn't always easy, especially if you like doing certain things. For example, I started using a couple of the grocery shopping apps for rewards, going to discount stores to get things to decorate the home, and cut out cable television. I invested in the Roku streaming device, which was under a $100.00. Furthermore, I purchased the Sing TV, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime as my subscription channels. The outcome is much better than cable, and I have no issues using the system. What is your secret for saving?

2. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    This is a really good question indeed. Well, my advice would be to take a second look on anything you want to buy, for instance, if you want to buy a soda, ask yourself before buying it, do I really need this? Can't I replace it with something I already had? Asking this 2 questions saved me a lot of money.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Swap out many of your name brand products for off brand versions and/or start getting more of your shopping list items at the dollar stores instead of the bigger department stores and grocery stores. If you come up with a list of all the typical necessities that you buy, you can almost always find a bunch of items you are paying $2-$5 each for that you could be getting from the dollar stores for only a buck. That's a big savings right there. Of course you need to compare the quantity and quality of the product to make sure you are getting your money's worth - but it's silly to pay like $3 for a small bottle of Dial brand hand soap, when you can get a generic variety which works just as well for only $1.

4. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I work 1 1/2 jobs and I still have to cut corners everywhere I can. I unplug devices at night to save on the electric bill. I recently had my cable turned off, so that has saved me a lot. I use coupons almost every time I go to the grocery store. Some of the stores in my area will send texts to my phone offering me a free full-sized item. This only happens about twice a week, but it sure is nice to get those. These days, every penny counts, and we have to save as much as we can.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Turn the boiler off in summer, even maintaining a tank full of water can be a large expensive that probably hasn't even crossed your mind. I reduces my gas bill by about 30% doing that, although they were very low anyway.

6. azeemah kaleem

azeemah kaleemMember

Threads:

Yes, I agree 100%, that is what I was talking about in my original post. I go to a lot of the dollar stores and discount stores to by items. Many of the items in the stores are just as good as the most popular name brands. I decorated a large part of my home with products from Dollar General, Family Dollar, Roses, Walmart and Target. You really have to decide as you stated what you are willing to invest a little more money in when it comes to quality. For example, I may pay for a good flat screen TV, but get a cheap stand for it.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There are as many answers to this question as there are members on this forum perhaps. I think each of us has our own little ways to save a few pennies here and there, and it is nice to get input from each and every person so that we can having a growing list of money saving tips. My most recent money saving tip is about coffee. I used to be one of those people that hit the coffee stand each morning to get a fresh mocha at about $3 per cup. A few months ago, I started just buying a drip coffee with some flavored creamer when I went to the mocha stand and now I am saving at least $1.50 per day. Now I just need to stop going to the coffee stand all together and start bringing my own coffee from home.

8. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I always use comparison websites before buying anything for the home to see what is the cheapest price. Before getting insurance too, I use a site such as GoCompare (UK ) to see which is the best deal. My most recent purchase was saving £150 on my house insurance for a similar deal.
    I now need to change my energy supplier because I think I can get a better deal elsewhere.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gone back to reading for entertainment. My library has a free shelf for books they're discarding and a sale shelf for books they're selling for 25 cents. I've read a couple of novels recently that really drew me in, and all it cost me for hours of entertainment was my spare change.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My methods vary depending on the item I want to buy or attendant circumstances. Here are a few efficient cost-cutting strategies:
    • Never miss breakfast and dinner at home throughout the duration of your "cost-cutting period." Eat instant oat meals or instant ramen for lunch at all times. Or, you may prepare lunch at home before going to the workplace.
    • If your workplace is within walking distance then avoid commuting. Try walking to and from your workplace. Practice waking up early so you can have enough time for walking.
    • Buy only what you need and when you do, try buying in bulk. Make sure to buy supplies that will last for 2 to 3 months.
    • Learn the art of DIY. Aside from cooking, sewing and gardening, there are so many things like cleaning the sink and repairing the tap which you can learn and do on your own. Handling tasks by yourself will save you heaps of money.
    • Set a proper budget everyday and strictly stick to it.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Another thing that has saved me money recently is to shop at my local grocery store that sends me coupons that are catered to what I actually buy. I am a little annoyed that they can track what I purchase, based on my loyatly card, but it has saved me a little money. I just redeemed 4 coupons today, and 2 of the coupons were for free products. I got a bag of Lays potato chips and a bag of frozen veggies for free, and then saved 65 cents each on frozen hashbrowns and sour cream. These are all items that I actually use, and buy a lot, so it was nice to get the coupons in the mail. I just wish there was a way that I could fill out a survey or be sent a list of items I want coupons for as opposed to the store tracking what I buy.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I shop around and price compare- some stores will price match, other times I'll end up going to a few different stores to get the various things I need at the best prices. It helps for me to make a list and for the most part stick to it, to avoid little impulse grabs (especially while waiting in line, I'm a sucker for those).

I've done the whole reward apps as well and find them helpful, as well as getting into couponing more...there are a lot of resources to help and some that basically do the work for you, so it's not like extreme couponing with a lot of time or effort involved, but it does make a big difference in terms of how much my bill ends up being.

13. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The one thing that I do now is to take out a little bit of cash after every pay check, maybe around $20 a week. I keep it in my wallet and leave my cards at home, this way I only spend the cash that I have and I save up the cash if I ever want to purchase something. I also wait for any deals and coupons to float around and grab them when I can. :)

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly I just try to determine my absolute bare necessities, and try to get by on those as best as I can. This is easier said than done. Honestly my biggest cost-cutting measure is avoiding beauty counters/cosmetics displays, haha.

I also buy generic brands for the most part, buy some items second-hand, bring lunches/beverages from home as often as possible, and try to pay in cash as much as I can.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have any particular secrets other than allowing myself to splurge when I feel like it. I find that e urge to spend just gets stronger if I deny it so I allow myself a bit of luxury from time to time just so I don't feel like I'm short changing myself too much out of some experiences. I think part of knowing how to save well is to know when to spend also.

16. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    If I need to save money, I don't carry extra cash with me. If I'm going to the store to get some sugar, I'm not going to get anything extra, and its impossible to get anything extra if I don't have the money with me. I also am really into art, so I do not watch TV all the time because I am always painting or drawing if I'm not out of the house.

17. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Make a list and stick to it. Make sure that the stores you are visiting offer the lowest prices on what you want, plan what you are going to buy from where and never deviate from the list.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's quite easy. I simply don't spend money on things that I don't need. I rarely buy anything that I later find useless. I carefully plan my grocery shopping, I pay all my bills as soon as they come in, and I watch every other expense that might surface, keeping it to a minimum. I am frugal but not stingy.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This could also help:

- Grow some vegetables. "Container gardening" can work for anyone regardless of where they live.

- Look for great deals on sites such as these. It would save you a little bit of cash.

- Got habits that cost you money? Drinking? Smoking maybe? Give up them harmful habits. It will not only save you cash but will also be good for your health.

- Pay no gym fees. Exercise at home instead.

- Use adblocker. If you don't see numerous ads, maybe you won't spend money you didn't plan on spending.

20. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    To save money I researched how to make low cost meals. I make things from scratch rather than buying expensive jars. I go for a walk in places that are free rather than the gym. I limit myself to a treat per month and that is normally something under $5. I am saving to move so I need every penny.