How Do You Deal With Pushy Salespersons?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Ray1 • May 10, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Suppose I am looking for a laptop in the range of $500 before disposing my current one which I bought 4 years before. I am simply looking for an advice on buying a good one in a store to upgrade to something better and the salesmen try to push me to buy something I really do not want or which doesn't fit my budget.

My question is just what do you do to deal with such pushy or should I use the word 'stubborn' salesmen that do not understand the needs of their customers?

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I had a bad experience with a car salesman once and bought a car I really wasn't sure about because he was good at his job and very pushy. The car turned out to be a nightmare and I had endless problems with it.

The good thing is it taught me not to be so gullible so now I ask more questions and make sure that what I'm buying is worth it. Take someone who knows about what you are buying if you don't know much about a product because they will be able to tell if the advice you are being given is genuine.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 In my case the situation is different as I know what I want to buy the salesman that attended me did not know that what was my budget or what I really needed. I wanted something within $500 and he was trying to convince me to go for something that was over $800. I did not buy anything but came back to go some other day :)

#3May 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  4. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I usually walk out when I encounter someone like that. I don't like pushy salesmen. It's either I walk out or talk to another salesman. At one time, I walked out from a certain store and bought the same item at a store in front of theirs. The point is, there are plenty stores to choose from.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't have much patience for those types of people, so... Before they piss me off, I'm pretty straightforward and say that I'm going to buy what I want / need and not what they want me to buy.

Up to now it has been worked very well. I can't complain about it. :D

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually tell them I'm just browsing or window shopping for now, thank you. I take my time and if I need something I'll look for a salesperson and ask them things. I'm not tech savvy so I got a lot of questions. Most of the time the salesperson just leaves me alone, for I'm just window shopping.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I think the appropriate for that is "importuning" kind of salesman or product promoter. That means, he is asking his prospective buyer or customer pressingly and persistently for or to do something.

Well, in my case, I have to understand him for he has been doing his job. I may not consider him as a stubborn. I have handled him in a diplomatic way or for being considerate. I have tell him that I am still on the process of canvassing and leaving him with a word of thanks.

8. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately i have a lot knowledge when it comes to electronics which allows to make decisions on my own without requesting or needing the assistance of a salesperson. As for dealing with them i would suggest to ask nicely.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have any tolerance for pushy sales people and I have been known to take my business elsewhere if someone is being over the top with me. Normally I will remind them of what I want and what I am willing to spend, and not a penny more.

I had a horrible car buying experience a few years ago in which I had waited around for my deal to close for like 3 hours and the agreement was that I was not going to pay anything down. Then they came to me and said I needed to pay $1500 down. I almost blew a gasket and told him that I would walk out with nothing. Needless to say I got the car and did not have to pay the down payment

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    The thing is that those professionals these days earn by commission, so most likely he would not make money unless he sold you that specific product. In reality they don't care about what we need, they just push, and push, and push, it's insane!

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I as a sales associate can relate since I was one of those pushy sales persons but that I am not proud of since I know we can get quite annoying. It was my job and if the boss didn't see we were pushy enough they would say we weren't trying hard enough to sell their products so we had to look good in their eyes. Even if the customers want the most affordable we need to try to make them buy in a higher price for the business convinience. I hated being pushy since I also hate getting a pushy service but I do understand it's kind of like we are forced to be that way. What made me stop being pushy with a customer was when they would ignore me haha.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    A good sales person is pushy by definition, they try to convince us that their product is the best, but in reality they don't even care if we need it or not. For this reason a specific type of sales is giving a really bad reputation to the profession, and most people simply hung up the phone on their faces. The worse is that sometimes they do call back!!!

13. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 You can give an objection to the sales assistant. They should be asking you questions about your needs and demonstrating products to you that you have expressed an interest in. They should check your budget and needs and show you the kind of thing you want. Then give your objection and they should be able to show you something else to match your needs.

Then, all you have to do is tell them thanks and you will think about it, or come back with your wife. If they are going to be so rude as to try to push you into buying something, then you have the right to be rude back and just walk off without a word.

#13May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  14. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I encounter salesman like them I will just politely ignore them by saying I have some other product in mind and I am not changing it. So, they will directly show and tell me about the exact product that I am looking for.

15. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I won't mind if a salesperson is a bit persuasive as this is what they're paid for. As customers, we may not like it at times, but we do not like an inert salesperson either.

In store, I clearly convey my requisites as well as budget. If a salesperson tries to sell things of his choice(at times they do as some products bring them more commission over others), I decline.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If someone is pushy, I will be quite firm and say I am looking for the time being and take out paper and pen and write down the models and the prices of the items, or if I have my phone take photos of the price tags. Usually if you aren't looking to buy that day they will leave you alone.

Many stores have sales assistants that are general ones, and others are company reps that are called demonstrators for that brand only. I used to do this and it was hard because you are only supposed to talk about your own products. Of course you wear branded items so people know that, but that's how some stores work. They can't afford to have staff constantly advising as it can take 30 minutes to an hour for each transaction, so they allow contractors in from other companies to help out.

The problem is many people want discounts and they can get better prices online, and lots of sales assistants know that and lose sales that way. It's a change in how people buy, which is why some sales people can seem pushy. If they don't hit targets, they lose their jobs.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed I prefer to walk out saying a Thank you and giving them a smile anyways. They lose their customer (and probably their job if the owner is keeping a track) and I save my money by going to another similar store and buy what I want. I agree in most cases it's not the same but I have reasons to believe that all of us come across such salespersons once in a while.

#17May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  18. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo It shouldn't be allowed, I think that should be illegal. It isn't fair to pay staff like that. Staff should have their wage and get their rightful pay raises and bonuses, but not work on a commission. Working on a commission just makes staff pushy and customers don't like that.

It is a shame that everything is going online and robotic. People are losing jobs and the jobs won't return either. I think it is fairer for staff to have a wage or salary and then bonuses for loyalty and good service. Not on the number of sales they procure. The problem is workers don't have fair rights.

#18Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would at first tell them I am not interested in their product. A part of me would want to tell them to back off in a more rude fashion, but that would result in unnecessary issues. If it is something I don't need or want I would just straight up tell them I appreciate the offer, but I do not need it. If they persisted then I would say it again and just walk off at that point.

20. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    I generally just either ignore them or tell them I'm just looking. Whenever I tell them I'm just looking, they usually just shut up and eventually if you pretend that they're not there, they would leave you alone. I hate pushy salespersons too, I think it's very unprofessional. Pushy salespersons always turn me off in a store before I even check out their products.