How Do You Deal With Telemarketers?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Nov 4, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that telemarketers are VERY annoying. However, I try not to be rude to them because they are just doing there job. A lot of times these people have families to feed or are teenagers just looking to make some extra money. So even though they are extremely annoying (always call during dinner time) I just tell them I'm not interested and to please take my name off their list. I can't see being rude or disrespectful to them.

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    OK now I feel bad for hanging up on these people. I never thought of it as someone just doing their job. I always thought of it as something that is very annoying. Usually I don't pick up the phone if I don't know the number. In the instant it is a telemarketer, I tell them no thanks and hang up. No need to be yelling into the phone like some crazed maniac.

3. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    To be honest I don't get a lot of these calls, but I don't really waste my time on them. When I pick up and I realize that I'm talking with a telemarketer I just let them talk for 10-15 seconds, I say "No, but thanks for calling" and that's it.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think that here is a good source of information about what to do about when receiving those annoying telemarketer calls.

Check this out,

5. cnt422

cnt422New Member

Threads:
    It's mostly student loan people I deal with, and I'm usually polite to them, but one guy made me so angry I lost my tone with him. The guy actually asked me to calm down. They harass people and it's not okay. It may be their job but I have no obligation to respect an occupation that requires you to verbally harass someone over the phone.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I say no thank you and hang up the phone. I know it is not an easy job and there is no need to be rude to people. I do have caller ID which helps to reduce the amount of calls that I answer.

7. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    I actually used to be a telemarketer and the money was pretty dang good! LOL. Occasionally there would be an extremely unpleasant call, so the job was a tad stressful at times. People would call me names, make fun of me. I do not miss it at all. Because of my past experience, I try to sound nice and sunny with my replies. I'll tell them one of three things:
    - You have the wrong number
    - She doesn't live here anymore
    - Please remove me from your list

If you ask them to remove you from their call list, they are required by law to do just that. So that particular company won't be able to contact you again.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gotten into the habit of simply not answering my cell phone when a call comes in from a number I don't recognize. I will let it ring until they hang up, then I will immediately do a Google search for the number to find out who it belongs to, and if it's a telemarketer I will add it to my rejected list in my phone. I figure if it's anyone important, they will leave a message.

I really wish there was an application for Android that could automate this whole process, because I hate having to manually try to remember what the number is, and punch it into Google search. Why doesn't Google simply let us select the number in the phone application on Android and give us an option to do a search for it? I've seen some apps in the Android store which supposedly will auto look up the number against their database of phone numbers to tell you who it may be - but they never seem to recognize any of the phone numbers coming in.

One big source of a lot of the telemarketing calls I've been getting is whenever I register a new domain name. I'm not sure where they are finding this information or if the registrars themselves, such as GoDaddy and 1&1, which I use most often, are selling the data or not. But as soon as I register a new domain, I get bombed with calls from people offering me SEO services, not to mention spam emails from people offering me web design services.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it a bit rude to hang up on their faces or put it down...after all they are just doing their job. I'm sure they don't enjoy it anymore than we do!
    I try to be polite and refuse, but if they push it I say I'm not interested in a firmer voice, say goodbye and hang up.

10. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I'm one of those people who just doesn't answer the phone if I don't know the number. I assume that if it's important they will leave a message. It's a great way to avoid even knowing that you're getting those types of calls in the first place.

11. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm not in a hurry, I will let them give me the whole spill and then politely say no thank you and hang up. Sometimes I like to listen to the offers in case it's something interesting. If I'm in a hurry I just say no thank you and hang up immediately. Plus, I used to work in customer service and I know what it feels like when you're trying to meet a quota and everyone keeps hanging up on you.

12. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also used to work in a company where telemarketing was one of their services that's why I saw how hard it is to call as many number of people in a day and not be able to meet your given quota. Sometimes you would even encounter people who would shout and tell you hurtful words. So now that I'm on the other end, whenever someone calls me and tries to offer me something, I would listen to them first as what you said and if I find out that the services or products they are offering will not be something that would fit me, I would also just politely tell them that it's not for me and politely hang up. :)

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a pet peeve of mine. I just erased 50 calls from my answering machine, the majority of which were hangups from telemarketers. I have no idea what they want, because I don't have money to buy whatever they're selling. If it's something I'm interesting in, and they leave a message, I can call back and inquire about it. I've had several who obviously have banks of phones going at the same time, who are speaking to someone else when my machine picks up, and I can hear them doing their spiel in the background. I have others who think the machine is me, and start saying Hello? Hello? Hello? over and over, then hang up. That's just plain rude, and I'd never buy anything from someone who cold calls me and is rude. I would love to have a phone that blocks certain numbers, because there is a group of numbers that keeps calling. I don't have a cell phone, so an app wouldn't help, they're calling my home phone, which is my only phone. I screen all of my calls, and never speak to telemarketers.

I also don't answer my door when someone comes to it. There's no soliciting allowed where I live, and if I didn't invite someone over, I don't answer the door. I can see who it is from upstairs, so if it's a neighbor with an emergency, they can let me see, or yell my name.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only answer the phone if it's a number I recognize. I rely on caller ID and voice mail a lot to screen my calls.
    I manage to avoid dealing with marketing calls most of the time simply by not answering calls from blocked or unfamiliar numbers. Back in the dark ages before caller ID, I used to just hang up on telemarketers because they really don't make it easy to end the conversation politely and get off the phone.

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Every since we dropped having our number unlisted there have been swarms of telemarketer calls. I don't answer unrecognizable callers but my husband always answers the phone and gets all huffy because someone is trying to sell something and telemarketers don't give up easily.

Another thing that irks me is just what was the purpose of that Do Not Call List? It was just as annoying. We as consumers do know how many companies have telemarketing departments (plenty) and the memo just didn't get read by all the employees. You don't even hear about the hype of it any more because you still get calls from the same company that is not suppose to be calling!

Anyway, should I happen to answer the phone and it's a telemarketer I say, 'Didn't I just speak to someone from your company? I'm sure I did." They either hang up rudely or apologize for the call.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There should be the understanding that these people are trying to make an honest living, even though I believe that realise that the job is not a very attractive venture. They realise that cold-calling persons, seeking to subscribe to or to purchase goods or services, may be deemed annoying by them. and they may shout at, or be abusive to the caller. In the first instance, I would politely inform them to take note of the number and advise them not to waste time contacting me again because I am not interested, so they will not succeed. However, if they should persist, then I would have to apply the silent treatment, have the phone open and no interaction, I think they will eventually get the message.

17. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I'm kind of rude I guess I hang up on them. I used to hang on the phone, but I was wasting my time and theirs and they'd get aggressive. I once had someone who would not take no for an answer and kept calling so I tried to sell them stuff. Needless to say they got irritated and hung up on me. I didn't get a call back though so it worked out.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes the offers are recorded, so when I pick up the phone I just hear the recording, so I am free to hang up the phone. But if there is actually another person on the line then I just listen to them for a bit before telling them that I'm not interested.

19. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I am on the do not call list, I haven't had to deal too much with telemarketers much anymore. Before that though, I would just hang up on them before they even finished their call. I worked for 3 hours as a telemarketer and it is not easy to deal with rude people telling you they do not talk to people like me. Even though, I still don't think that telemarketers need to harass people after they say they are not interested and they just keep on talking.

20. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:

This is by far the best answer I've seen so far. As someone having a background on customer service, specifically from a call center, you'd know how it feels when people on the other line gets irate.

Yes, having lots of telemarketers call you sometimes get into your nerve but the key is to always be kind. Say no politely and they'll never call you again (at least the same company I guess). I usually get promotional calls from my credit card company but I usually just say no after their sales pitch.