How Do You Decide What Movies To See In Theater?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Feneth • May 19, 2015.

1. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    For us to see a movie at the full price theater, we have to have everyone genuinely be interested in the movie AND either the ratings have to be good or we have to have a personal recommendation from a friend who has seen it AND the parental reviews have to make it okay for our teen to see. We don't see many movies in the full price theater. For a discount/dollar theater, we just have to have two of the three want to see it. Everything else, if it catches our eye, we'll watch it on netflix eventually.

What do you use to decide whether to see a movie in the theater?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's much easier for me to decide nowadays since I don't buy into hype anymore and I have made peace with letting some blockbusters pass even if it means I get a bit behind on the conversation. I say this because I only watch at cinemas now if the movie I'm seeing is likely to be one I'd enjoy and actually be interested in. Fortunately these days there's a lot of choices to watch at home and those even provide for more obscure titles which I enjoy a lot more anyway.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It has to be a combination of intriguing plot and good ratings (whether they’re from critics or trusted friends with similar tastes), usually with a bonus of good casting. This is part of why I don’t see many movies in the theater anymore, especially since our discount theater closed a while back. I was much less picky when we still had one of those. Most of the time I can wait to see a movie.

4. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I usually read the reviews first, the higher the rating, the more likely I am to go see it. it also depends on the genre, I am not in to action movies so Fast and Furious and Transformers are an automatic no. Another plus is having a good actor star in it, I like George Clooney, Morgan Freeman or Tilda Swinton.
    All these three factors go into my decision, it makes it less likely to spend money on a movie I wouldn't enjoy.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually go to the cinema that often - it can get quite expensive here in the UK so a film will really need to catch my eye in order for me to go. Me and the OH enjoy the same type of films so when we do go, there's never any disagreement over what to watch.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to the cinemas nowadays unless someone would treat me to the movie house. Haha. But yeah, there would be a lot of deciding factors for me: if it is based on my favorite book, if it is really worth-watching, if it has good reviews, and if my friends would be willing to accompany me to the theater to watch it. :)

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I am a very indecisive person, but I typically rely on reviews, word-of-mouth and what my boyfriend would want to see (he usually has good taste). It also depends on my personal interest. For example, 50 shades of grey is something that I decided not to spend money on, but something magical like Cinderella, was worth every penny!

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go hunting for the next movie to watch, I base most of my decisions on the following:
    • How good the storyline is
    • Reviews from people who've seen the film before me (may include ordinary folks or online film experts)
    At times the actors top-billing the movie would matter but the plot always takes precedence. On occasion, I take the director behind the film or the production company into consideration. I have a soft spot for Pixar and Disney animation so even without reading the plot, I know it's going to be worth watching.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like films that aren't mainstream. So, I usually visit a theater in my town that only screens art house, cult and underground movies. They have a website where one can read about the various movies they screen, along with reviews. You can also submit your own review, which I frequently do.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I didn't used to ever go to the movies, but now I occasionally.

My main determining factor is that it has to be high action. There has to be a significant reason for me to see it on a big screen instead of waiting for it and watching it on my home screen.

11. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to cinemas so when I do I really make sure I want to watch the movie so every cent would worth it. I'm a bookworm so I tend to watch movie adaptations of books I really love. I watch the trailers but sometimes it can be misleading. I also read reviews and blogs of people who've seen it or about to see it.

12. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I always check the ratings on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. In general to all movies, if anything is above 7.5+ and is a movie I want to watch in cinema, I go for it.

Sometimes I just don't even go to the cinema because the content comes so quick to watch at home. But yes, anything with good reviews, I will watch it on big screen.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not look at the movies that have a lot of cutting up of people, a good comedy is always fun and of course high action breath holding action. Dark movies are not the type of things I like to spend my time looking at.

14. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    That's easy, my kids usually decide! Yesterday we went and saw Inside Out and it was a very cute movie. We did it as an end of school year treat for the kids and it cost about $70 with snacks and tickets. It reminded me why we don't go to the movies often! Movies in the theatre are a special treat and we don't do it very much.

15. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not really the type to go and see a movie spontaneously. I usually have movies that I wait months for to come out, then when it comes out, I go and see it. If I wanted to watch a movie spontaneously, usually watching it on the TV with a nice sound system usually does the trick :p

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Randomly. When I have money and time, I just go see what I want. It doesn't have to be a hyped movie. It can be anything!

17. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    If it's one of the superhero movies we will probably go watch it at the theater. Also, if it's a sequel to a movie we've seen before there may be a chance we see it at the theater. There ARE exceptions to these though. We would also watch animated movies at the theater but we prefer watching those at home now so our toddler can enjoy them with us (he falls asleep at the movies like twenty minutes in always). LOL

18. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The deciding factor for me is the actor or actress starring in the movie. I like to see how they portray different characters and story lines/plots. My alternate deciding factor is the genre particularly action and sci-fi. No particular actor or actress has to be in it and I usually find another celebrity to add to my list. The worst movie so far with Dwayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg in No Pain No Gain.

19. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Since we all have easy access to pretty much any movies online nowadays, i hardly spend money for movie tickets so when i go to the movies, it means i'm really psyched to see the movie because it's really good or the actor/actress in the movie is my favorite. I also love seeing 3D/IMAX movies too so sometimes i watch 3D just for the hell of it. :p

20. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I don't really make long decisions about watching a movie in theater. If it is a sequel/prequel of a movie that I like (Star Wars) then I go to watch it. If it is something from Marvel or DC I usually go to watch it. If there is some actor I like or the director I go watch it. Sometimes I even pick random movies to watch and I might get impressed. Or maybe if it is a book/game adaptation.