How Do You Decide What Movies To See In Theater?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Feneth • May 19, 2015.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have long stopped going to watch movies in cinema halls like some of my friends who want to see the first show. Most of the movies are available officially on TV within a week or one can order them online. However, I am the one who waits until it is available for free viewing on TV. I generally go to watch a movie while out for work in some other city and I have to kill some of my spare time.

2. slumberchip

slumberchipNew Member

Threads:
    It's usually the movie trailers that entice me to go and watch in the theaters. I deliberately avoid movie reviews for fear of seeing spoilers, so I have to trust the trailer. Also, there are just some films that you have to see on the big screen, like action or sci-fi movies. Finally, I support our local movies so I watch them in the cinemas instead of waiting for online copies.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In the rare occasions I go to the movies I usually go based on the reveiws and recommendations of movies. I also need to make sure my daughter will be entertained long enough since she is just a toddler. I really don't like to go because I wouldn't want to have my daughter go through so much time of boredum. I will usually watch movies online instead

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today (Feb 1) is the first showing day of Kung Fu Yoga featuring my favorite comedian action actor Jackie Chan. For sure, I would watch it. But not today for I still have to hear the review of people that I know. Movie tickets here are expensive at more than 200 pesos (that's more than $4) and I normally go the theater with my wife huh. What if the movie is a flop? That would waste a lot of money. I only watch first day showing if I have a friend involved the production of the movie otherwise it is better to be wise with my money and wait for feedback.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy - Actually, Jackie was in India recently and took part in a comedy/promotional show that you can watch on YouTube

He explained that this movie is combination of Indian Yoga and Chines martial art which certainly is a motivating factor for me to watch it in a multiplex rather than wait and watch it on TV later.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    In the past 5 years I visited theatre only twice. The last was 3 days back. Going to the movie means a big screen movie like an epic or historical etc, having time on hand, reviews from those who have seen it and the right company. I find going alone is no fun.

Of course the ticket price should be reasonable too. Thankfully, where I am, it is not so costly for occasional visits. However, I am grateful that we can easily watch movies at home too.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have almost stopped going to theaters in recent years because I find too few movies worth spending my money and time on them. Most of the movies produced in my country especially in my language are all same have nothing special to offer. I watch a movie rarely in a theater when on official tour and nothing else to do in the evenings.

8. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it should star a favorite actor or actress of mine like Kevin Spacey or Brad Pitt. Aside from that, it must have a good story. And of course we would go if my wife wants to watch it too.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    My will and my personal taste are always my guiding principles (I don't think there are better options).

Other important factors are: the director(s), the screenwriter(s) and the cast. If I'm a fan of any of them, the probability that I watch the movie is pretty high.

I also consider the reviews that I read, but they don't influence me.