How Do You Decide What To Buy Someone?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Diane Lane • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:For me when it comes to buying gifts I usually ask if I know them well enough to ask and if I can afford it I'll get it for them. I usually get practical things like calendars for those I don't know too well, but know that this gift will come in handy. Most of the time I like to get gifts for the family to be economical for I'm on a tight budget.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the make a list approach too. It is one of the ways to make certain that the person is going to like what you get. There is nothing worse than giving or getting a gift that is unwanted. Also, the person has to exchange it or get a refund which leads to a major hassle. Lists are good ways to keep track of what users want and can use.

#22Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's definitely helpful. It could be good for adolescents and young adults, too, who change their minds frequently about what they want. They could actually create a Wish List online at one or more stores, as an alternative to, or in addition to, a written list. That would make it really easy to simply click and buy, and have it delivered either to you, or to the recipient. In some stores, you could even order it to be gift wrapped, which is a nice option when you won't be seeing the person to give it, but would have to ship the package yourself.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always ask. I'd much rather get that person something they actually wanted or needed. Years ago, a friend confided that whilst she ws grateful for the expensive perfume and the handbag she received, she was broke, had no food in the house and it was another week until payday. What she would have really loved was groceries!

I will admit that by asking people what they really wanted or needed, I've ended up buying some odd gifts over the years. These include a dental check-up, a frying pan, printer ink and a mastectomy bra!

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I only buy gifts for very close friends and family, so it's somewhat easier to get gifts for them. Most of the time I get them something I've heard them say they wanted or just outright ask them what they want or need.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First I consider the following: would this be useful to him or her? I used to give symbolic gifts but as I grew older, I realized that it would be more important if I give gifts that last - something that recipients can have fun with and use at the same time. Before, I was in the habit of giving picture frames and stuffed toys. Although they can use those gifts, my childhood friends are no longer like before. Some of them are married now and have kids. It would be good to give gifts that match their current situation like kitchenware and/or home accessories.

7. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    When I buy Christmas gifts I make a list of likes or needs (I observe) for my friends and family...
    I try to buy gifts that they found useful and they like...

I always buy gifts the things that will be useful for my friends and family. Mainly I buy stylish set of cups, glass, scented candles and 3d painting pens.

#27Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015