How do you discover new music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by JPDunlap • Apr 2, 2013.

1. JPDunlap

JPDunlapNew Member

Threads:
    I find that I get tired of artists quickly and I have to experiment a little with different genres to find those I do like. Most of the time I just use Pandora to try new artists, and Spotify for friends to recommend me music. Or if I'm watching a Youtube music video or something, I'll click on any links that show up in the comments, give everyone a chance to get their voice out, ya know? So how do you guys discover music?

2. riku517

riku517New Member

Threads:
    I always try to keep an open mind to different genres of music, so suggestions from my friends helps me build up my collection quite a lot. I also use Last.fm which helps track the songs I usually listen to and suggests new songs that are similar to my taste. About 30% of the music in my collection is through suggestions on last.fm, so it's a pretty accurate tool to discovering new music. Youtube is also great for finding music that is similar to the song that's playing, as long as everything is tagged right.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    This may sound weird, but I've found out about many great bands and artists by watching Saturday Night Live. They lately have been having a lot of crappy musicians on it, but every once in a while, there's a good artist there to play. If I like the songs they make, I go online and check out more of their music.

4. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I usually just go to websites that updates with a new list of songs everyday. I usually find songs that aren't even on the radio yet.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Usually from radio and other forums, but mostly from this place called What.CD which has a ton of music and a lot of albums that you may never find in other places.

6. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I discover new music via radio as always or watching music televisions. I also have spotify which I always listen too. They advertise and promote new albums and songs.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The radio. I always listen to the radio on my way to work. I also sometimes watch MTV. That's when I am able to listen to new music. If I like the music, I'll download it in the Internet.

8. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    I discover new music mostly through internet radios and YouTube. Regular radio, at least where I live, is always a bit behind the trends when it comes to music, so I usually know about something new way before it's on. YouTube has provided me with a lot of new songs and bands. Internet radios have the advantage of being a step ahead of regular ones solely because they're online.

9. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Music is everywhere. I listen to music all the time, especially when I'm on the computer. The primary means through which I access to new music are: blogs, websites specializing in new artists, music portals and online radios. Furthermore, Last.FM is another good source of information and interaction with other users who share musical tastes. Of course, the comments from friends is another reliable source to meet new artists and learn new musical experiences. :D

10. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    I listen to di.fm when I want to hear some new music, but am too lazy to actively do it. They have so many channels to choose from that you can find really anything to listen to. They mostly have various forms of electronic, house, drum and bass and DJ mixes with some more unique stations like space music and chip tunes. I often listen to the electro house and drum & bass channels when I'm looking for some tunes to put on my playlist and it hasn't really gotten stale yet. Other than that, I get a Pandora station, writing down whatever songs I like along the way.

11. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's the radio. I find a song I like, then I preview otehr songs by the same artists on itunes. Although I don't get tired of music too easily.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too, I find out about new techno and trance artists from an internet radio station that plays dance music, and then I look the videos up on Youtube. I find a lot of new Japanese artists when their music is featured in anime shows.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just listen to the preview tracks of the albums of the artists that I like on cduniverse.com and then I just download the particular mp3 track that I like. I tend to look for new material on the artists that I listen to already because I know that I will most likely like their new music, whether it's unreleased or not.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find new artist by Pandora. I also discover new artists (or new to me) via television shows that I watch. I have heard music played on TV shows and have looked them up online. I have discovered a lot of great artists that way.

15. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    I'd love to watch MTV. or go for website which update with new songs list. then download from net. otherwise find updates on music forum.

16. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I usually search on the internet for new music top list. Or i went to some music discussion community, where people will recommend new music.

17. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I use itunes primarily. They recommend a bunch of artists based on your taste and it is so easy to preview a few tracks by that artist. I also do look at the top 100 now & then. Sometimes I end up on youtube as well. When I'm really looking for a lot of new music I will look up some good music blogs for recommendations.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try not to seek out new music on purpose, I think it's a lot more special to find new music organically. Like you said, mostly when I'm just watching Youtube videos or even just shows on TV. On those times that I feel like I really am in need of new songs, I just turn on an online radio somewhere or find someone streaming it on the free stream sites. It's kind of hard to avoid music recommendations nowadays since they are so plentiful, it's a lot more of a task to sift through all of them than it is to find them.

19. dadcoupon2012

dadcoupon2012New Member

Threads:
    I agree with others in post and use Pandora to find new music in genre's I already like.

First, use a genre you like or use a new random genre.
    Then listen away and see if you hear anything that you like if you do then pursue particular artist or type of music artist is in.

20. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I just randomly click on the suggestions from YouTube (the one at the right when you're viewing a video) when I'm listening to something. My other, weirder way of discovering new songs is looking for music videos of my favorite dramas or shows. You know, those music videos that focus on two characters in love in the drama, or something like that. Sometimes they use really good songs there.