How do you do your nails?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by lynda22 • May 31, 2012.

1. lynda22

lynda22New Member

Threads:
    I get my nails done every week. They are acrylics, with a French tip and a rounded, natural shape. They are a fairly short, professional length- about 1/4 inch past the tip of my finger. I have been told that French manicures are 'out', which is technically true. If you look at celebrities and models, they are all sporting very short, brightly colored nails. However, I love my French mani. I think it looks classy and polished without being too fussy. How does everyone else do their nails?

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Simply put, I don't. I just keep them trimmed and clean, nothing fancy. Manicures are just too high-maintenance for me. Sometimes I paint my nails, but that's the most I do to them.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have mini maintenance policy for my fingernails. I give myself a mani. I only use clear nail polish for my fingernails. I do use colored nail polish for special occasions.

4. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I have been wearing acrylics with a french tip now for 12 years and still love it! Now and then I will paint them, especially in winter when my hands look a bit pale. Although I must admit it does feel strange when I do see colour on my nails.

5. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I actually do not do my nails. The most I will do is put on clear nail polish. I hate when I get my nails painted and the paint chips the same day or the next day. To me it's not even worth the money. One day I will try the gel nails maybe they will be better.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not get manicures as I discovered that I do not like people fiddling with my nails. Most of my friends go regularly but it does not work for me. However, I just cut them and file them...and lastly (my favorite): I buff them lightly. The light buffing is cool because it brings out your natural oils in your nails...and they glisten and glow with no nail polish.

I am loving that right now as I am concerned about the toxins in some nail polishes (like carcinogen, formaldehyde). So, my little organic buffer was worth the money.

7. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I usually just file or clip my nails when they start to break or snag on something. When they grow a little bit, I usually paint them with some pretty colored polish. I don't really give myself manicures anymore. I wash my hands a lot and the polish doesn't last even a day! When my finances start looking up, I hope to go get them professionally done at a salon.

8. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I have a nail buffer but my nails don't get as shiny as I hoped that they would. I bought my buffer on ebay after being approached by someone at a mall kiosk. He wanted $70 while ebay wanted $13 for 2!! I will admit the guy at the kiosk had my nails looking like they had clear polish on them. I have yet to get those results at home. How hard or soft do you apply the buffer?

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I do my own nails with my Ezflow acrylic system I ordered off ebay. I usually do loud colorful things on my nails, because im just a bright person. I recently did glitter rainbow with pink, green, yellow, purple and a salmon color. Then I added little leopard and zebra prints. They are my favorite designs. Also, stiletto nails are really in this season. Lots of people are getting those.

10. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I colour them with neutral colours or sometimes, dark red or dark brown. My MIL gave me a French Manicure set and I have been making use of it at home. My fiancé does not fancy bright or dark colours on my nails, he loves neutral or French manicure. I would like to try bright colours like sky blue or yellow, someday but I doubt very much that it'll ever happen.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I do my own nails also because I do not want a fungus under my nails and I want them to stay healthy. Those false nails really tear up your nails, make them thin and give you all kind of diseases and I don't want that. I'd rather be me, the natural lady and not the fake one throwing my hands around for everyone to see and messing up my health. I polish my own and they look just as nice as if I went to a shop.

12. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have always kept mine short to avoid dirt from accumulating under the nails especially now that i have a baby so it's essential to trim my nails for sanitary purpose. I also find long nails tedious to maintain and are prone to breakage.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm a freelance writer, so I spend a lot of time on the keyboard. For this reason, I keep my nails short and naturally shaped. I'm lucky that I don't have fast growing cuticles, so my nails are very low maintenance. I only tend to apply polish when I'm going somewhere special, and I've never used false nails, because I prefer a natural, low maintenance beauty routine.

14. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I go to a salon for manicures twice a month and when the nail polish has chipped, I replace it with another color and push the cuticles back. I love my nails and want them to be pretty and clean at all times.

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I was a manicurist on and off for 20 years. Personally, I don't think a French manicure is out. It always does and always will look clean, fresh and healthy. Do you nails how you like them. That's what matters most.

#15Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  16. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I don't really go to the salon to get my nails done. When I want to color them, I do it on my own. But since I play the guitar, I hardly pamper my nails. I prefer them cut and simply clean.

17. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    I tend to go through phases of constantly changing my nail polish to not wearing anything at all for months. I find that when I wear nail polish I'm more likely to take better care of them and they will grow longer. Before I paint my nails I always file into shape, push the cuticles back, apply a base coat, then the nail polish, and finally a top coat.