How Do You Feel About Body Art?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hayrake • Jan 3, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Just wondering, when you see a person who has extreme body art, say as in multiple, multiple piercings or so many tattoos you can hardly find a bare patch of skin, what do you think? Does it inhibit any desire you might otherwise have had to get to know them? If it bothers you or you find it distracting, can you manage to look past it? Would you hire the person if you had a job opening? Does it look "normal" to you, as in you hardly notice? Or, does it somehow scare you so that you want to turn around and flee in the opposite direction?
    I think I've yet to come to terms with how I feel about it. I wasn't raised in a time when either tattoos or piercings were popular. Pierced ears abounded and was pretty much the norm. And you might have known somebody who had a tattoo or two, but nothing like you see today. And of those who were tattooed, mostly you'd find that they either had been or were in the armed forces of some kind.
    Now it's (WOW!) anything goes.
    I tend to believe there is no way I'd ever want to have so much done to my body; but then I remember being young and wanting to do everything everyone else was doing, so I guess if such had been popular back then I might be covered up pretty well by now myself.
    I just don't know.
    I do know I would never hold such against anyone or judge them for it, but I believe that sometimes it might be a bad choice as many employers are not going to like it.

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Body piercings, no. Body painting, yes. I wouldn't do it myself, though. However, I can see that body painting is also a form of art. The human body itself is a work of art. To paint on the human body is not that much different from painting the human body on canvas, only, in this case, the human body itself has become the canvas. It's what I would call living art. The paint used, however, should be washable. Being painted with an indelible ink is not quite what I would call art.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to love tattoo/piercing culture.. it was unique and everyone had a story behind it. Now, it's everywhere and everyone looks the same. It's boring. Definitely not something that should be a fad. I'm also sick and tired of hearing how misunderstood they all are.. like they're all bad asses with a bad rep, but deep down they're old, kind souls that deserve the same respect as anyone else lol. Of course you do.. but um.. no. I don't respect the new tattoo culture. I do like some of them, of course.. I just can't get behind the tattoos for the heck of it thing or getting all tatted and pierced to be a "rebel" thing. Everyone and their dog has them now.. sleeves sleeves everywhere. Suddenly it's more unique to be without. How sad. I've never been a fan of cookie cutters.

With that said, I don't think twice about the type of person someone is (other than maybe thinking they're a little followy lol).. so of course I would hire someone if they were covered. I would be ALL inclusive.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've got a smallish tattoo and I love it. I don't think that I'm the type of person to get multiple tattoos or piercings, but I can see the appeal now. It's like an extension of your personality. But at the same time, my natural reaction probably would be to be slightly more wary if they have extreme levels of tattoos. I guess I have my own conservative approach to the world. I hope I don't get too judgmental though.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Totally how I feel about being a flagrant homosexual lol ;) Used to be unique. Peers used to flip out once they found out. But now it is somewhat of a fad, and normal. Boring lol :p I'm currently trying to get into penis. That'll shock 'em :p

I love body art. I hate that people would not hire people who look a certain way - further example of how stifling the workplace is as far as not being able to be yourself, even though you are required to be at work for most of your life. How emotionally taxing. I like all kinds of body art. It's interesting to look at, from my point of view, and with tats they have many interesting stories behind them. I would say that the only kinds of modifications that I question liking are the under the skin body modifications, where people have horns installed and whatnot? But on the other hand, it's not my body and it isn't my life.

I have no tats or piercings currently. But I want a tat that says: Go within or go without, at some point.

#5Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL let me know how the penis thing goes... you should get a tramp stamp to remember the experience! :p

I love body art too.. lovelovelove. From true artists with true thought behind it. But do you know who I mean? The princesses carrying their puppies in their purses getting a tattoo because they're hard asses that throw their noses up at mummy and daddy's rules or the people who get a quickie sleeve because they like the look. Not an entirely terrible reason to get one I suppose. I just don't like the new way I guess.. I find it extremely phony and very very very sheepy. It creeps me out to be honest lol. It's like a new religious group. And what I think is all that matters, c'mon, follow me!! :p

7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big supporter of body art - when it is meaningful to the person who is having it done - I don't believe in just having random tattoos done just because you like the way they look. I think that if you are going to put something on your body for life it needs to be something that holds deep significant meaning to you. I mean who wants to be 80 years old with a saggy looking skull or butterfly on their butt cheek. Seriously.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    That, in all seriousness, is exactly what stops me from putting any kind of permanent decoration on my body. I can wear a golf cap when it's cool to wear one. I can take off the golf cap when it's no longer cool to wear one. Permanent tattoos are not taken off that easily. I read that it is possible to remove permanent body tattoos but the process is both lengthy and painful.

9. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind it at all. I think on the right person it can really bring out some of their features. The problem is that sometimes people who have no business getting these type of thing get them, and they go overboard with it. I'm all for people doing what they want, and people know what is good for them and what isn't. It's when people take that and run with it when they really shouldn't that it get kind of crazy.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think these days employers are much more aware and accepting of body art but of course there are still limitations. If the line of work or the industry is too serious then it would be unfair to expect them to accept people with visible tattoos at the risk of putting off their business associates. That said, there's much more options nowadays for inked people since there are way more jobs that are casual now.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really have no problem with people sporting body piercings and tattoos. I mean, you can't really stop people from pursuing what they want, right? However, just a piece of advice: don't overdo it. The moment you have an excessive number of body piercings and tattoos, your body will start to look different. Yes, as mentioned above, it turns off employers. Unless piercing or tattooing is your line of work, exercise caution and moderation with your body art.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A tattoo or two I don't mind. But tattoos all over the body? That would definitely get me to mistrust such a person. It doesn't mean that people with lots of tattoos aren't nice people I just have this hunch that they give off a negative vibe. Same goes with lots of piercings. I read some news article last year about the most pierced man being denied entry into Dubai because they thought he practiced black magic.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As with everything else, I think body piercings and tattoos are ok in moderation. Outside of my ears, I also have two other piercings. That's my belly button and nose, but I don't see myself adding to them. I've also considered getting one or two tattoos, where I can hide them if I need to.

Now, where someone has really gone to town on their body; in as much as I don't judge them, I also don't gravitate towards them. They do look a bit intimidating, too. I always feels sorry for them and whether it's wrong or right, I find myself wondering if they have some deep seated issue they're trying to deal with.

As far as employing someone covered from head to toe in tattoos and piercings goes, it goes down to what sort of job it is. Chances are there won't be many job situations that would embrace someone like that, especially white collar office jobs. I mean, imagine employing someone with a whole English breakfast tattooed onto their skull to manage your office, travel across the world to represent you at business meetings, chairing board meetings etc Nobody would take them and your business serious! As much as I hate to say it, because in essence it's us as society judging them, it's simply not a good look for business.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmao!!! I'd be traumatized, so that would be remembering of the experience enough ;) Plus, the one sexual experience that I have had with a man, his penis was monstrously big. I don't think that I'd be able to walk the next day, or for the next two weeks actually ;)

I've recently been getting into water color tattoos. I love love love them ;) The way that they look in contrast to regular tattoos is just simply amazing. If I ever get the tattoo that I want, I'm going to have to get myself a water color one, for sure. I know what you mean when it comes to the sheep mentality where body modification and tats, and piercings go. It can be, as you mentioned, extremely phone and annoying!!! Those types of people are the ones that I keep my distance from, because the fakery drains me, and I just cannot be bothered with it.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, exactly. I don't feel though, like above, that people with a ton of them are shady. That's hilarious to me actually.. because again, chihuahua pursing, bleached out, trust funded girly girls are getting covered in them now. You truly never do know anything about those with tattoos anymore. Not that we did before, you were just more likely to get it right lol.. it's not at all possible with the new tat phase everyone is going through. All you can tell now is that there are a whole lot more unoriginal people out there these days lol! And that's got nothing to do with what they can and can't do for a company; that's just silly.

So uuuh.. who was this packin' friend of yours? lol..

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have either piercings or tattoos, but I would really like to have a tattoo, a very big and obvious one. It's not too brag or to generate impression from others on me, but it's more of really expressing myself and my taste. In fact the place where I like my tattoos to be put are in the areas that people usually don't see. And even that I have it, I'd still not going to show them to other people. It's just really me. And I think it's the same for those who already have it.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think each to their own. I like everything that is tasteful. Artistic tattoos, interesting piercings, etc. What I don't like is excessive metal around the face or body. It not only interferes with a person's overall appearance, but it has a darker side to it, such as unbalancing natural energy flow in the body. I am talking from the point of view of an acupuncturist or masseur. There is no doubt that these permanent piercings and alterations interfere with the normal flow of energy around the body.

18. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    For me, it really depends on the particular piercing and/or tattoo.

Full disclosure: I have a tattoo on each shoulder. In fact, quite recently, I got cover-ups for both of them.

That said, I know people who have sleeves or back quarter panels, and I don’t find that alarming at all. I might give it a second look, but just to enjoy the art.

I have a friend who has an elaborate tableau on his forehead and face. Specifically, it’s a coffin in the center of his head with trolls pulling on cords at various locations both sides of his face.

This is, as you can imagine, an activity-stopper. When we went anywhere, despite the fact that it was in San Francisco, people would either stop talking and stare, avert their eyes conspicuously, or literally come up and look at it closeup.

But frankly, I wouldn’t base getting to know someone based on any body alteration. I go a bit deeper than that.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I recently saw this quote about people with a lot of body art - how most people think that they are low lives. But in reality it takes commitment and passion, and the money to pay for the art to get body art done. Obviously it was phrased a lot better than that lol. But I'm pulling this from the top of my head here lol. And it is true! A lot of these people are not afraid to wear their hearts on their sleeve in vast quantity. Though there are the Paris Hilton's who will get body art done, and then think that they are hardcore because they got skin art -_- It used to be that tats had really deep and insightful interesting meanings. And in large quantities these days, people will tell you that they got a tat because all of their friends were getting them, or because they simply liked the picture, which there is nothing wrong with that. But I do prefer body art that comes with a little more authenticity, as I would define authenticity!

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, agreed. Although, I do see a lot of poor people tatting up because it makes them more badass. Any reason to get a tattoo is fine by me.. I just get annoyed easily by faddy people and I guess that's something I should work on because that's how human beings work and I just might not be one LOL.

Forgot to mention I absolutely love the water colour tats! So beautiful. There is another type I love too, I just can't think of what to call it lol.. but it would be more likely the kind I get. I think?? LOL. I've wanted something to represent my family in the worst way.. ever since I had my first son, but nothing ever does them justice, so I haven't yet. I've designed them myself, had others design them, I've thought about it for so many years.. I just can't think of the perfect art to stay on my body for the rest of my life that actually lives up to how cool my guys are. I'll probably go with canvas instead lol... I don't need to permanently stain my skin for that, I think the moment's passed and I can update everything else in endless ways.

Again, I love tattoos.. I don't love the "just because" tattoos and I think I might actually snub my nose up at them. Thanks for making me find a fault in myself Dreekster, now I have work to do!! lmao.