How do you feel about flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by anniep1978 • Sep 20, 2012.

1. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I will always feel that flowers will never go out of style. Flowers are always a classy gift to give to any girl or woman. Personally, flowers will always put a smile on my face if my significant other gave them to me on any occasion. I will also feel very lucky and special if I was given a bouquet.

2. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I love flowers but don't have the money to spend on them regularly. I also hate the idea of shipping them hundreds or thousands of miles around the world for no real reason. I grow as many as I can in my tiny back garden specially for cutting. Plants are nice to keep on the windowsill, then I get flowers for a long time.

3. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Flowers are something that every woman deserves to receive on any occasion. If a man truly loves her he will go out of his way to please her with a nice luxuries gift or he would make something that truly showed that he cares and has feeling for his significant other. Flowers are a gift of love and friendship and companionship. I feel that flowers represent the purest things in the world which is true love. As cheesy as it may sound love is something that many people overuse and say too much while not meaning it or even understanding what they are saying. There is a big difference between lust and love. I feel that flowers are a sign of true love because they are a timeless piece which any age group would give to each other and know exactly what they are trying to convey to one another. They try to convey a genuine relationship as well as care and love to the other. Therefore I feel that flowers will never go out of style and will represent the very pure of our world.

4. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    ..Happy Anniversary. I like the look of flowers, and the smell of some. But because they die so fast, I would rather have a plant which has a longer life. That is a lot of money.

5. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. As a woman, of course I love to get gifts from my boyfriend. But, I feel like flowers are truly not worth it. The money that goes into flowers can honestly be used on something better, longer lasting, and nicer. I think everyone else on this post is right - flowers are timeless and classy, and they truly won't ever go out of style. People use them for all sorts of occasions (happy ones like weddings, and sad ones like funerals). There is a lot of symbolism with flowers (life, blooming, death, beauty, etc.), but if I had to choose - I would choose something other than flowers.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the answers here really surprise me. Flowers are a simple and easy way to spread beauty and joy in life, and give an instant lift to any environment. It doesn't matter that they don't last forever; the memories will. Also, getting expensive ones from the florist isn't the only way to go. For what he spent, he could have gone in person to pick up the flowers and purchased 5 weeks worth, but that is not the point. The point here is that the man made a nice gesture and it should have been acknowledged as such. It's the thought that is supposed to count, after all.

7. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Complete waste of money in my opinion. I'll still get them for my mom on mother's day though because it makes her happy.

8. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I like receiving flowers until I see how much they cost. I had a similar situation on my anniversary only it was $65 after they added the delivery charges. I never did tell my husband how small the arrangement was. I didn't want him to think I didn't appreciate them. I think you can get some cash back on them through ebates. I just asked him to check there next time. He knows I like to find a deal.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I can get three bouquets of flowers for $12 at one supermarket and I can get the same amount for $10 at a different one. Where are you people shopping? It's the thought that counts not the price tag. The astromera I get lasts for about 2 weeks; I completely feel it's worth it for the feeling I get having beautiful flowers greet me when I enter a room.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The best way to give someone some flowers are to purchase them from the 99 cents store and you know they will last a long time because they are potted and you can even look at them all year long. As far as roses out of the store, please don't do that for me. Just go to that 99 cents store, get the potted ones so I can even plant them in the yard or move them as they grow to a bigger pot, so they will look beautiful all the time and will not die on me.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally think that flowers aren't really practical to give, because aside from the fact that they're quite pricey, you can already buy lots of other better things that last longer than flowers. Flowers are only pretty to look at for a few days, then after that you throw them away. So why spend it on an obviously useless item right? The only exceptions that I can think of where you must buy flowers is when you're courting a girl or visiting a loved ones grave. Aside from that, flowers aren't really mandatory to give.

12. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's the whole point of giving flowers. They are expensive. They don't last. And they don't have any benefits other than being flowers. So when you give someone some flowers you are saying that you are prepared to spend your money to buy something quite useless and you don't mind at all because you think the person you are giving it to is worth spending the money on.

13. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I love the gesture of flowers. When I was in a long-distance relationship I sent a bouquet to my girlfriend and she absolutely loved it. I went through an online site (1-800-flowers, I believe) and only spent about $30. I think it's really sweet, but you have to be picky about where and what you buy, otherwise you'll be spending way too much money! You can also go to places like Walmart certain times of the year and buy a cheap bouquet and vase and give them the flowers in person to save money.

Flowers are not a great gift exactly, but they can light up a person's day if you get them sporadically and from the right places.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know they offer many different gifts but as I said the 99 cents only store is the way to go so you won't have to be spending all that money for just a short life span of flowers. You can always do a gift basket for the person and it will be even less than the price of a bouquet of flowers.

15. Juana Jennifer

Juana JenniferNew Member

Threads:
    Hi
    anniep1978

I love flowers and it is forever huge to give or receive a beautiful flowers but I agree they are so expensive. Specially the one's from the florist shops that deliver them to homes. I prefer farmer markets because they are fresh and relatively inexpensive.

#35Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with you....flowers are a nice, romantic gesture and they can be quite beautiful but sooo costly and when you're trying to save money (I'm in the same boat) it just feels a little ridiculous shelling out $50-$100 for a small bunch of flowers that won't even last that long.

17. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that flowers are overpriced. Flowers are pretty and all, but not worth that much. That's why I usually try to hunt down some coupons that give you a bouquet of flowers and chocolates in one package. I try to mix it up though when I have to choose between buying flowers and something else. Every mothers day I get my mom a gift, and I seldom buy expensive flowers because you can buy a great gift that'll last longer than flowers for the price of one bouquet.

18. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    $50.00 does seem expensive for a bouquet of flowers, but hey, it is a special occasion. Special occasions can be a reason to splurge a bit, and in this particular case, I think this splurge is okay, it was your anniversary after all. In this particular instance, I kind of would not be stressing out at all over 50 dollars. I mean, it is a lot for flowers, but it's not like it's five hundred dollars or something. That would be cause for alarm.

I buy flowers from the grocery store, and the bouquets are only $5.00, most expensive would be roses for about $19.99. I know that when one goes to a florist and gets a bouquet sent, you have to be prepared to pay much more than what you would if you just buy the flowers yourself and deliver them yourself. After all, the florist that delivers flowers has to make their money too, or else they would not be in business for long :)

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe my appreciation for flowers will develop as I age. Older people tend to appreciate the simple things in life more, the scent and beauty of a flower, for example. I don't really pay much attention to flowers at my age :D.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a weird case because I spend hours every week in my garden tending to m flowers and veggies but when I buy flowers from a florist I get incredibly embarrassed being seen in public with them.